War Management

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• War Management

Dear generals,

as commanders in chief you need to know at all times where and when to strike in order to dominate your foes and minimize your own casualties. This is why we have put maximum effort into making the game lists more appealing and easy to use, helping you to identify the most exciting game rounds more easily. This includes the following changes:
      • The game list has been completely reworked to better promote the most popular game rounds and hide irrelevant ones.
      • The game details panel has also been reworked to display all the game information in a more clear and appealing manner.
      • Password-protected games and alliance games are not shown in the games list anymore as the majority of players could not join them. They can still be found via the search field by entering the game number.
      • Several popups suggesting new game rounds have been reworked to fit the new style.

In the last months we also often received feedback that some maps feel too empty or become inactive too quickly. For that reason we are limiting the number of games players can create to reduce the amount of empty maps:
      • From now on players will only be able to create one game per month. We encourage everyone to join existing rounds instead for more exciting challenges. Alliance games are excluded from this limitation.
      • With the next update Members of the High Command will be able to create 5 games per month.
      • Additionally, players now need the rank of Technician Fifth Grade (Lvl. 11) to create games.
      In addition, we made an important change to the way troops of defeated players are treated, together with a few bugfixes:
      • When players lose all of their provinces AND become inactive or AI, their remaining armies are removed from the map and relations are reset to peace.
      • Sometimes, units that entered the vision radius of your units were still shown as "?". This has been fixed.
      • Sometimes, the AI researched Elite units which were then available to players who took their place - regardless of the number of blueprints they possessed. This has been fixed.
      And there’s still more! Our mobile dev team has worked hard to bring two awesome features to all players who love to play Call of War on the go:
      • First, coalitions are now finally mobile-ready! You can access and manage them directly on your portable device.
      • Second, we can now answer the question “Is there a Call of War app?” with “Yes!”. With a so-called ‘progressive web app’ you can now install Call of War on your Android device by clicking on the popup you’ll receive next time you access the game. As non-Android users you can use the “add to home screen” function of your mobile browser to enable instant access to your games.
      We hope you like the changes and encourage you to provide feedback on the forum.

Your Call of War team
      Felix / Alkyonor
      Community Manager
      Bytro Labs GmbH
    • Good job, Bytro programming team.

I normally don't comment on the cosmetic graphics, but this is a clear improvement ---- and most importantly, the information on the icon for each game is now much more clearly legible, making at-a-glance review of the new games list much easier. Thank you.
    • 1. The game list has been completely reworked to better promote the most popular game rounds and hide irrelevant ones.

:thumbup:

2. From now on players will only be able to create one game per month. We encourage everyone to join existing rounds instead for more exciting challenges. Alliance games are excluded from this limitation.

When I asked about limitation I did not think about such harsh restriction. One a month is a little harsh. The main problem is solved by number 3: one need to have some experience when create a game (level 11 is OK). As I observed new games popping out - they were created in the same time by new players (2-4 in a few minutes). So one new game a week would be just fine without harsh limitation.

3. Additionally, players now need the rank of Technician Fifth Grade (Lvl. 11) to create games.

:thumbup:

4. With the next update Members of the High Command will be able to create 5 games per month.

There is always good thing to promote subscribers. The more of them, the better. Maybe even company will not need pure gold, if enough subscribers will come in. :saint:

Digression: If there will be one new game a week for everyone, you can just set 2-3 games a week for subscribers. Most (all?) new players aren't subscriberss, are they? If they get HC membership for a few days when they create account (I don't remember if they get) - just give it after completing their tutorial game. Many people just abandon the game before finishing even tutorial.

5. When players lose all of their provinces AND become inactive or AI, their remaining armies are removed from the map and relations are reset to peace.

:thumbup: Much appreciate!
      Better to be servant in heaven than a monarch in hell
      ... besides there is already monarch in hell and he will not tolerate usurpers.
      :saint:
    • DxC wrote:

It's the game spammers that will be upset about this anyway; let's see how a once a month works.
      For Level 11 and above players, I think creating one game per month is fine. But with previous recent changes, no-one is able to create new games on the 50- and 100-player maps already, which effectively leaves only the the 10- and 22-player maps for player-generated games.

If Bytro's business staff is looking to further incentivize experienced players to become paying members of the "High Command," perhaps they should consider giving some additional game creation rights on the 50-player maps to HC members.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MontanaBB ().

• Stormbringer50 wrote:

no more orphaned navies. hooray!
      I dunno. While I dreaded stumbling across an orphan navy it was one last chance for revenge by a losing nation. Once there are subs in the water you need to plan for them, regardless of weather the former owner is still active, or your current enemy is lurking. Never bothered me too much, just accepted my own stupid losses to them and moved on.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • DxC wrote:

Khantix wrote:

One a month is a little harsh.
      I think it's fine. There were way too many empty games. Now if there aren't enough games maybe someone that doesn't usually spam games will create one. It's the game spammers that will be upset about this anyway; let's see how a once a month works.
      I know WHO made games and WHY they were empty. I've noted staff about it with details.
      The problem is not with limiting players to create new maps (it's good move) but how strong the limit was set.
      And no it's NOT fine.

In my observations tons of maps were created by low level (newbies) players, no matter by mistake or by ignorance.
      So the problem was solved by rule: Additionally, players now need the rank of Technician Fifth Grade (Lvl. 11) to create games.

Additionally players level 11+ should be able to create more games than one a month.
    • Khantix wrote:

DxC wrote:

Khantix wrote:

One a month is a little harsh.
      I think it's fine. There were way too many empty games. Now if there aren't enough games maybe someone that doesn't usually spam games will create one. It's the game spammers that will be upset about this anyway; let's see how a once a month works.
      I know WHO made games and WHY they were empty. I've noted staff about it with details.The problem is not with limiting players to create new maps (it's good move) but how strong the limit was set.
      And no it's NOT fine.

In my observations tons of maps were created by low level (newbies) players, no matter by mistake or by ignorance.
      So the problem was solved by rule: Additionally, players now need the rank of Technician Fifth Grade (Lvl. 11) to create games.

Additionally players level 11+ should be able to create more games than one a month.
      - Lvl. 11 is really low and one can reach that quite easily and quickly.
      - Alliance games are excluded from the restrictions.
      - HC members can make 5/mo. once they're over lvl.11.
      - Creating a game has no bearing on how many one can join

But, let's see how it goes and hope there will be (more limiting) adjustments if they're needed.
    • I Patton wrote:

- Lvl. 11 is really low and one can reach that quite easily and quickly.- Alliance games are excluded from the restrictions.

But, let's see how it goes and hope there will be (more limiting) adjustments if they're needed.
      You don't know what you are talking about.
      Use your eyes then, see examples:
      I list only maps from BEFORE that change:

2107833 - created by level 1 player, open slots 9, players on map 1
      2107567 - created by level 1 player, open slots 8, players on map 2 (the same person as 2107584)
      2107584 - created by level 1 player, open slots 9, players on map 1
      2107609 - created by level 1 player, open slots 17, players on map 5 (day 3)
      2107621 - created by level 1 player, open slots 18, players on map 4 (day 3)
      2107518 - created by level 8 player, open slots 15, players on map 7 (day 3)
      2107393 - created by level 1 player, open slots 18, players on map 4 (day 3)
      2107399 - created by level 9 player, open slots 19, players on map 3 (day 3)
      2107286 - created by level 1 player, open slots 17, players on map 5 (day 3)
      2107353 - created by level 10 player, open slots 6, players on map 4 (day 3)
      2107011- created by level 7 player, open slots 8, players on map 4 (day 4)

Just a few typical empty maps.

Level 11 requirements is OK, as it will remove most problems. If someone acquired it, then he had to play a little and is not completely greenhorn. My thesis is that all this mass of maps was created by relatively new (or completely new) players. No need to limit veterans.
    • Alkyonor wrote:

That is indeed not intended but a malfunction introduced with yesterday's update. We will fix it.
      Good man.

To my way of thinking, every system-generated game should be automatically enabled for supply drops and anti-cheat protection, and they should be divided 50-50 between player-selected countries and random assignment of countries.

You might also want to experiment with the "starts when full" option, too, for some system-generated games. In my previous experience with "starts when full," the games can have a very different character when 80 to 90% of all playable countries are represented by active human players vs. games that have 25 to 35% active human players with a high percentage of newbie drop-outs. Because the game experience (and strategies) are so different, I would highly recommend maintaining a mix of both.

Also, it has been requested several times over the past year, but "starts when full" games need to generate automatic email reminders to players when the games actually begin. I have served as the game creator/host for several "starts when full" games, and it is a challenge to keep everyone informed and on board while they are impatiently waiting for the game to start. Automatically generated email and "official" notices in the newspaper would greatly alleviate this problem and help keep as many active players in the game at its outset as possible.

Cheers.
    • Khantix wrote:

I Patton wrote:

- Lvl. 11 is really low and one can reach that quite easily and quickly.
      - Alliance games are excluded from the restrictions.

Which part? LOL.
    • I Patton wrote:

Khantix wrote:

Which part? LOL.
      This part: "My thesis is that all this mass of maps was created by relatively new (or completely new) players. No need to limit veterans."

number of game (everyone can check it) - current level of player that created that round

2106048 - 10
      2106042 - 10
      2106075 - 1
      2106045 - 19
      2106104 - 2
      2105758 - 3
      2105681 - 15
      2105804 - 14
      2105885 - 3
      2105887 - 3
      2105695 - 8
      2105789 - 21
      2105843 - 3
      2105840 - 2
      2105446 - 2
      2105489 - 1
      2105540 - 2
      2105543 - 8
      2105467 - 5
      2105407 - 1
      2105403 - 2
      2105508 - 9
      2105534 - 1 (deleted)
      2105514 - 10
      2105101 - 1
      2105347 - 2
      2105180 - 15
      2105120 - 7
      2105098 - 1
      2105189 - 2
      2105217 - 1
      2105341 - Anonymous round
      2105257 - 16
      2105355 - 2
      2105009 - 2
      2104952 - 1
      2104951 - 6
      2104949 - 8
      2105015 - 7
      2105060 - 5
      2105055 - 10
      2105052 - deleted user
      2105061 - 11
      2105087- Anonymous round
      2104814 - 1
      2104807 - 3
      2104925 - 8
      2104888 - 1
      2104813 - 5
      2104802 - 8

There are 50 (fifty) games listed one by one in that order they are listed now (in NEW GAMES panel).
      All are a few days old - I've looked specially at older created games (4,5,6 days from now).

From those 50 games, ONLY 7 (seven) were created by players with level 11 or higher.

As I said: Level 11 requirements is OK, as it will remove most problems.

90% of maps were created by novice, new registered players. Yes, MORE THAN 90%.
      So with rule that games can be created only by level 11+ players 90% problems with empty maps ARE SOLVED.

No need to punish veterans.

LOL ? !

8o

PS: The same thing is with Supremacy 1914 (the same new rules) and NW Empires (most games created by novice players).
    • Khantix wrote:

From those 50 games, ONLY 7 (seven) were created by players with level 11 or higher.
      That's legitimately 14% of your sample. I've never heard Clorox brag about solving 86% of a problem.

Remember: 22p Maps are also created by the system. 25p, 50p, and 100p maps are also system generated. If every player created a 22p map, once per month, the community could still each have 22 maps going, on top of any system generated maps (granted of course they don't max out their number of active games allowed). Minus, of course, the maps new players have joined, as they are unable to create maps.

On top of this, HC members can create 5 maps per month. I do not see a shortage of games in the future. If you do, by some stroke of luck (good or otherwise) find you have no maps you may join, let us know.
      Free Time looks good on me
    • Khantix wrote:

I Patton wrote:

Khantix wrote:

Which part? LOL.
      This part: "My thesis...
      LOL ? !
      I reiterated the points of the OP and concluded with "But, let's see how it goes and hope there will be (more limiting) adjustments if they're needed." And you rudely responded with "You don't know what you're talking about."

The "LOL" is because I didn't make any declarations against which one could possibly respond with "You don't know what you're talking about."

I'm guessing you didn't understand what "if they're needed" means. And whether or not they're needed will be indicated by the active participation rates of games made under the new restrictions. That's not something for which you have any data. Therefore, maybe, you should chill-out and see how it goes.