Does forced march kill units?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• DxC wrote:

It will run fast until it gets to 10% condition. Then it will go back to normal speed.
      Correct. You cannot run a unit to death on forced march speed (normal speed + 50% more). As DxC stated, once the unit's condition is reduced to 10%, the forced march speed will automatically be reduced to the unit's normal speed, leaving you with a 90% depleted unit.

I suspect this was done to prevent a player from killing off his own surplus units and thus avoiding a unit battle loss in the process, but that is conjecture. Bottom line: if you want to kill off your own unit, your enemies will have to help.
    • I don't think it was done to prevent people from intentionally killing their units. I think it was done so people don't accidentally kill their units. But whatever. It is possible to use FM to run a unit down to zero morale. I've done it a number of times. A unit doesn't die at zero morale doing this. I'll leave it up to you all to figure out how to do it. It isn't hard.
    • DxC wrote:

I don't think it was done to prevent people from intentionally killing their units. I think it was done so people don't accidentally kill their units.
      Maybe so. Trying to guess the original intent of the programmers is a sketchy game at best.

DxC wrote:

It is possible to use FM to run a unit down to zero morale. I've done it a number of times. A unit doesn't die at zero morale doing this. I'll leave it up to you all to figure out how to do it.
      I hadn't given it much thought since I have rarely used the "forced march" function for more than a single unit at a time, usually an armored car brigade for the usual purpose of capturing an empty province ahead of the main force. I suppose if you run down a stack of 10 units to 10% condition on forced march, you have in effect zeroed out nine of them, most if not all of which will go *poof* upon next contact with the enemy. But that's as far as my imagination takes me.
    • WiseOdin wrote:

however, force marching multiple individuals, and then combining them, may remove some units from the map
      Not unless they are in battle. Even at zero condition a unit does not die, unless in battle.

Above where I slightly cryptically spelled out how to get a unit to zero condition, you have to combine the unit with a different unit type so their HPs do not merge.