Upcoming Coalition Changes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Upcoming Coalition Changes

Dear Generals,

while you check out our new Arms Race event maps, we would like to direct your attention to some planned changes to the way coalitions work in Call of War. Coalitions are an integral part of the game and we love to see you use diplomatic cunning and secret plots to make those temporary but decisive pacts. However, we receive mixed feedback on the way coalitions currently work and will address this with a series of upcoming changes. These will be introduced successively over the next couple of weeks.

The first important change will be introduced on Tuesday, September 26:
      • Coalitions will have a member limit depending on map size: 0-21p = 2 members, 22-31p = 3 members, 32-50p = 4 members, 51-100p = 5 members.
      • Coalitions currently having more members than the limit allows will keep their members but cannot take in new members until they drop below the allowed limit.
      • Also, coalition flags are now displayed in a bigger size.
      Following later in October we will enable shared win for the now downsized coalitions:
      • Coalitions can win the game together if all members of the coalition combined have 90% of the victory points in the game.
      • Once the coalition victory is released, coalitions have to downsize until they are equal or below the allowed limit to be able to win.
      • Players can still obtain a solo win by reaching the currently required victory points (~60% depending on map).

Gold and medal rewards for winning a map will be affected as follows:
      • Map victory achievements are still handed out for the 1st place in a map. There will be special achievements for coalition wins.
      • All coalition members will receive the same gold amount based on map size, all other non-winning players in the map receive the old payouts depending on their map rank and victory points.

Last, but not least we will address a common concern of our players by making coalitions itself optional during game creation:
      • Coalitions can be disabled during game creation, a new search option to filter for those games is also added.

More details and possible additional features will be disclosed at a later time. We will keep you updated on the release schedule and look forward to your feedback on the forum.

Your Call of War team
      Felix / Alkyonor
      Community Manager
      Bytro Labs GmbH
    • Thank you, @Alkyonor, and thank you to the whole Bytro Labs software development team for making these changes regarding the operation of coalitions and game-winning conditions. These changes have been much discussed and often requested in my 18 months on the Forum, and I believe these changes will contribute to a much better environment for fostering games in which coalition-vs.-coalition action is featured.

Well done, Team Bytro.

[P.S. Now we know what Sasri meant when she said the team was busy with lots of other things. Cheers. :) ]
    • This update, like the last, takes something badly needed, and uses it to hide a fun killing restriction. SOME alliances are too powerful. but this update makes them useless. you might as well use share map if you want a 2 player alliance. This update like the last, ruins Call. :(

It is is nice they are paying attention, but this update was not the right solution.
    • Absolutely what the community has been asking for. I'm glad this has been done, as it fixes two major issues, between coalitions having to break up to finish a map, and the terrible dozen (or two dozen) member coalitions that plagued larger maps.
      Free Time looks good on me
    • Alkyonor wrote:

Also, coalition flags are now displayed in a bigger size.

I've just noticed the new flag displays with the update. While I do desire that they are bigger -- and I applauded the change -- the new flag display isn't scaled by a 1:1 ratio. Instead of making the flags bigger proportionately, they are now stretched vertically in the coalition list. The pictures need to be widened to correct proportion.

I have a large group of flags that I've put together over the past year for my coalitions and I've specially made each flag to fit the wide-screen-like view of a typical flag which was the normal display (though too small) in the coalition list and in the coalition display. Unfortunately, the itsy-bitsy-teeny-tiny flags on the game map were unrecognizable and they were stretched vertically too. I had hoped that would be fixed. But the larger flags now look like a stretched wide-screen TV show in a full-screen TV format.

~ Tangential Seque ~

I have DIRECTV. I watch everything in HD. Unfortunately, my TV offers both HD and SD formats. So, DIRECTV attempts to show my content in a lower resolution simply because it's available on the TV. Now, DIRECTV lets you remove the lower res options in the menu. And I've done it many times. But the only reason I've done it more than once is that DIRECTV won't save that freakin' setting! So, each time I have to up my res and ratio on DIRECTV, I have to cycle through Wide/Stretched/Normal/Crop for 480p, 720p, and 1080p whenever I change channels. It's a huge annoyance and I don't always bother. But DIRECTV won't fix the issue and I'm mad about it.

~ Back on Track ~

We've moved past full-screen TVs and I want my DIRECTV to reflect that. Traditionally, national flags (and others) have a certain common shape which is like a widescreen TV. Let us not go backwards with misshapen stretched flags. That being said, can we also convince the main coalition display to not show your flag file in a tiny corner of the whole image? I know that's a minor thing, but I have to re-upload my flag to fix that and it's yet another nuisance. But if this doesn't get fixed, I'm OK with it since it's only once or twice in a match that I have to do that. But the stretched flags annoyance is really bothering me (as evidenced by the ridiculous DIRECTV analogy).

Please fix this! Thank you.

Oh, and one area where the flags could ALSO be made bigger (nice to have) would be on the map...not a whole lot, but maybe bigger than a grain of sand? How about make all flags on the map 50% bigger than current display (both national and coalition flags and both the unit flags and the capital flags)

Grande Bird Fleet wrote:

This update, like the last, takes something badly needed, and uses it to hide a fun killing restriction. SOME alliances are too powerful. but this update makes them useless. you might as well use share map if you want a 2 player alliance. This update like the last, ruins Call. :(

It is is nice they are paying attention, but this update was not the right solution.

While I disagree with you in overall concept, I do agree in one context. As for me, the new coalition limits are a good thing. But, I only wish the limits were adjusted slightly upward for the non-100 player maps (5 has been a good upper limit for all coalitions in my mind and I rarely allowed more than that in my coalitions).

For each category, except the 100 player map, they should be [+1] in size. That's my opinion. And I think it's fair. Will they make the adjustment? I actually think it'll happen by shear demand as the smaller maps are now discouraging coalitions altogether.

"Coalitions will have a member limit depending on map size: 0-21p = 2 [3] members, 22-31p = 3 [4] members, 32-50p = 4 [5] members, 51-100p = 5 members.
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • Diabolical wrote:

Alkyonor wrote:

Also, coalition flags are now displayed in a bigger size.
      I've just noticed the new flag displays with the update. While I do desire that they are bigger -- and I applauded the change -- the new flag display isn't scaled by a 1:1 ratio. Instead of making the flags bigger proportionately, they are now stretched vertically in the coalition list. The pictures need to be widened to correct proportion.
      if your flag is displayed not only stretched but also blurry, you have to upload the flags again as we increased the size in which the images are stored. And yes we also changed the aspect ratio so that all occurences of coalition flags in the game now use the same aspect ratio (small troop icon, middle sized coalition list icon, big coalition details icon). So unfortunately you have to change all your flags to the new aspect ratio, sorry.
      Most players used "normal" images with some kind of object in the center, and not flag-type images, so the new aspect ratio fits better for that.

As for the coalition limits, we decided on that number after getting alot of feedback already. We can tweak the numbers again of course. So if you feel like the numbers are correct or are wrong, you can voice your opinion on that. I opened a new thread for that: Feedback on coalition member limitation
    • I am in an Arms Race game and the remaining players joined my coalition, hoping for a Colly Win. We have 2663 VPs now, which should be way over the 90% listed as required (which should have been around 2496). At least Day change there was 110 VPs unaccounted for, but we have taken all but 90 or so of those, so more like 97% of VPs are now controlled by one colly.

Has the Coalition Victory Win Condition been implemented; if not is there a date when it is anticipated to be implemented.

Thanks!
    • DxC wrote:

KingCongo wrote:

Has the Coalition Victory Win Condition been implemented; if not is there a date when it is anticipated to be implemented.
      In the announcement above it says later October.
      Correction" It says 'Later in October', which could mean any date in October past the original update in September, which is, incidentally, every day in October.\

EDIT: And the changes are not currently implemented. That is just too bad for Manitoba in my Arms Race Game.

The post was edited 1 time, last by KingCongo: Update ().

• KingCongo wrote:

DxC wrote:

KingCongo wrote:

In the announcement above it says later October.
      Correction" It says 'Later in October', which could mean any date in October past the original update in September, which is, incidentally, every day in October.\
      EDIT: And the changes are not currently implemented. That is just too bad for Manitoba in my Arms Race Game.
      I love the change, coalitions haven't had any meaningful purpose that I was able to discern; merely another feature without any features ;-)

Yet, this being the "shoot from the hip" developers at Bytro, I fear game level extinctionis bugs if this is implemented in already running games (seemes from the announcement that it will be implemented across the board at any one of the 20ish days left of October).

Could you please give an approximate number of days we can expect between final notice and actual implementation?

Of course, a date would be preferable, but I'm a realist :-)

Keep on coding, as a newly reborn Bytroist from Supremacy 1914, I heart you guys!
      (just fix the username issue ASAP, it's embarrassing for you, and a very real attack on our privacy).

Regards,
      Bergfall