Operation Highjump

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• freezy wrote:

You can actually order the list after amount of provinces to see who is doing good, just click on "provinces" on top of the column :)

NukeRaider33 wrote:

Can someone explain all of this?
      Yes, the explanation is: FUN :D Not all maps need to be super serious. The good thing is that maps are optional, you can play the ones you like.
      Yeah, a few days after making the suggestion I realized it's duplicative of Diplomacy>Information (tab)>Province (column) sort function. I couldn't think of a better use for the INDEX since then...still can't.
    • pekare wrote:

Since this map is supposed to be the south pole, shouldn't South be directed towards the center of the map while North points radially outward.

NukeRaider33 wrote:

too complex for the game developer to do
      Seriously? All that is needed is to rename some of the provinces which is super simple. I.e., Corps Werewolf, which is below the center, has all names reversed. The Transantarctic Mountains cover multiple provinces.

Transantarctic Mountains (N) should be relabeled as: Transantarctic Mountains (S)
      Transantarctic Mountains (NE) should be relabeled as: Transantarctic Mountains (SW)
      Transantarctic Mountains (SE) should be relabeled as: Transantarctic Mountains (NE)
      Transantarctic Mountains (SW) should be relabeled as: Transantarctic Mountains (NW)

The point is that if you are standing on the south pole, looking outward while facing any direction, the provinces you face are north away from you, south near you, east to your right, and west to your left.

The game developer need not do anything other than just change a few letters in the directionally-based names.

Another example, the South Pole region is all turned wrong but is less easy to visualize.

South Pole (NE) ------> (S)
      South Pole (N) -------> (SE)
      South Pole (NW) ------> (E)
      South Pole (W) -------> (N)
      South Pole (Central) -> (Central) {
      stays the same}
      South Pole (E) -------> (SW)
      South Pole (S) -------> (W)
      South Pole (SW) ------> (NW)
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3

The post was edited 1 time, last by Diabolical ().

• But it would probably confuse more players, as not everyone naturally thinks of the south being in the middle of the map :D Normally when a player reads south he looks below where north is.

And maybe the Nazis have invented secret tech that shifted the earth's magnetic field. maybe that is the true reason they are there :D
    • MontanaBB wrote:

freezy wrote:

And maybe the Nazis have invented secret tech that shifted the earth's magnetic field.
      Die Glocke!
      Ah, the German sense of humor. Who knew?

@freezy: Aren't you supposed to be in bed now?
      Egad....another time where a SUPER like button is needed.

Yours is a genius wit, my friend.

freezy wrote:

But it would probably confuse more players, as not everyone naturally thinks of the south being in the middle of the map :D Normally when a player reads south he looks below where north is.

And maybe the Nazis have invented secret tech that shifted the earth's magnetic field. maybe that is the true reason they are there :D

You know, that's a very good point...about how players perceive the map, despite the illogical read of the data. This reminds me of the upside-down map of Australia that some southern-hemisphere-centric ideologues espouse. And that brings me back to my other thought for which this response was intended. Since the devs are now looking at the idea of polar-view maps. Maybe....just maybe, they could consider a new playing addition that would easily be coded in Java or C# (or whatever Interpreted language they use).

Simply put, I'd like to see the polar map(s) be rotatable around the polar axis. Doing so would change your perspective of the landscape. However, on-screen labeling and unit orientation would needfully remain upright and the overlay interface and information components would need to stay fixed just like in all other maps.

Tactically-speaking, this wouldn't affect gameplay. But it would be an impressive addition to how the game is viewed and enjoyed. And, if successful, this addition could be a learning stepstone to a future map upgrade where the maps could become a 3D table-top layout (still flat, but with near/far aspects and the rotation of the view works with panning around.

I know this is asking a lot, concept-wise, but it would only enhance the gaming experience without affecting the mechanics of the gameplay itself. And, since I assume that the game is structured around something like the MVC or MVVM design patterns (at least with the client-side programming), the display changes would not have to interfere with the backend overall game engine design.
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • OK. Here's another idea...one that is unique for the current and any future [DOMINION] map(s).

There are many potential players, of course. And that's good. But with the impenetrable borders, there are lots of inactive nations that just sit there and can never be removed from play. So...why not let any inactive nation have it's impenetrable border be erased after a week of inactivity? The timing could be different of course, but the need to get rid of these space sappers and the prize of taking unclaimed lands would spice up the Antarctica map....and it kinda needs spicing up since the pace of play seems rather slow, overall (thanks in part to the resource situation).

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • DxC wrote:

I like the Dominion game, but with this version you went way overboard on lowering the MP. Well, I see the rate is much higher, but the starting amount is very low. I could only start 3 INF.
      Ironically, I am now completely out of MP in the FP dominion game which started out with a lot of MP and have more than enough in regular game which started out with little but has a higher rate. Both characters have a lot of provs and optimal MP production.
    • Diabolical wrote:

OK. Here's another idea...one that is unique for the current and any future [DOMINION] map(s).

There are many potential players, of course. And that's good. But with the impenetrable borders, there are lots of inactive nations that just sit there and can never be removed from play. So...why not let any inactive nation have it's impenetrable border be erased after a week of inactivity? The timing could be different of course, but the need to get rid of these space sappers and the prize of taking unclaimed lands would spice up the Antarctica map....and it kinda needs spicing up since the pace of play seems rather slow, overall (thanks in part to the resource situation).
      Maybe give each province a lvl 5 fortification when the border barricade "fails". Just so it's not a "cake walk" for those lucky enough to have inactive neighbours.
    • DxC wrote:

DxC wrote:

I like the Dominion game, but with this version you went way overboard on lowering the MP. Well, I see the rate is much higher, but the starting amount is very low. I could only start 3 INF.
      Ironically, I am now completely out of MP in the FP dominion game which started out with a lot of MP and have more than enough in regular game which started out with little but has a higher rate. Both characters have a lot of provs and optimal MP production.
      Maybe the non-FP version has a temporarily-higher MP rate to help promote the map? I mean, they've done that before with a couple maps. I think the American Homefront map had a very high MP rate in your core urban provinces but later got toned down after a few weeks.

It makes sense that the higher MP would be to promote the maps and get people playing them a lot up front, but then, after everyone got used to them, take away that advantage....and ... make it less...fun...wait a minute, HEY!

Now I've done gone and made myself upset.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • Well, the point or the irony is that the FP game started with a ton of MP and it seemed unlikely you could ever run out. Thus they changed it for the normal game which started out very low; you could only queue 3 INF to start. But now, later in both games it has ironically switched. Now my goal is to run out in the new version since I've got mega resources from getting several million cash from hitting the central capital 3 times in a row :)
    • So THAT's where are the Money is hiding....gee whiz! Money has been the worst economy in my match, seconded only by Rares and then Manpower.

So far, in the match I'm playing, nobody has more than one lab and nobody's even penetrated the outer defenses of Lindwurm. And, even one of the Corps has taken over a Garrison because that Corps player is human and wants to win, too.

That's funny. The way they wrote up the description, you'd think that only the invading coastal nations with their "impenetrable" landings could be human and all the German conspiracy nations would be NPC....but it's just not so.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • Diabolical wrote:

So THAT's where are the Money is hiding....gee whiz! Money has been the worst economy in my match, seconded only by Rares and then Manpower.

So far, in the match I'm playing, nobody has more than one lab and nobody's even penetrated the outer defenses of Lindwurm. And, even one of the Corps has taken over a Garrison because that Corps player is human and wants to win, too.

That's funny. The way they wrote up the description, you'd think that only the invading coastal nations with their "impenetrable" landings could be human and all the German conspiracy nations would be NPC....but it's just not so.
      ... Ummm... How? How?

I don't think that is physically possible(or it is and it is extremely unlikely). 40 nations, 40 people who can play, garrison and corps being AI. The fact there is a player that has taken a corps, is... Yeah...
    • Well, the match didn't have nation choosing turned on, so random selection placed a couple people as German corps players...and, because there's only 40 people max, some of the invader nations never got assigned.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • I Patton wrote:

Diabolical wrote:

OK. Here's another idea...one that is unique for the current and any future [DOMINION] map(s).

Maybe give each province a lvl 5 fortification when the border barricade "fails". Just so it's not a "cake walk" for those lucky enough to have inactive neighbours.
      Thats one of the reasons why such a change could backfire. You will need luck to have your neighbour drop out, so certain nations in the game will benefit greatly just because they were lucky. Does not feel that fair, does it? And lowering the border for everyone would just revert the game mode back to normal game mode, which is also not the point of the game. if the game feels to slow I would rather experiment with different things, like speeding up the game. On the other hand the first Antarctica maps are now finishing, so while it may seem slow in the beginning, the speed is accelerated once you conquer some provinces as then also income goes up.

Diabolical wrote:

Well, the match didn't have nation choosing turned on, so random selection placed a couple people as German corps players...and, because there's only 40 people max, some of the invader nations never got assigned.
      Well then this is a bug because this is not intended. We will investigate, thanks for the info!
    • freezy wrote:

Well then this is a bug because this is not intended. We will investigate, thanks for the info!
      Dang, I was hoping to be one of the German corps next time. I'd like to play the role of the foil instead of the hero...at least once in a while.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • Love this idea of this map. I think I mentioned that in a earlier post in this thread. With that said, if they would just fix the use of rockets and nukes. Rockets were, and therefore should only be used, in destroying war making efforts and not armies. Nukes, well they are even worse. No defense against either. Likely my last game due to having units which cannot be defended against. I will keep checking in to see if this is rectified. Was a good map and a fun game.

Retiring again, but this time from the game itself.

BRDubbs
    • Well, I have been and am enjoying the challenge game, started the first and have done very well.

But (you knew that was coming), I am confused/concerned on one issue that has now come up. I am aware it can not be changed in the current games. If a country takes four research centers and then the clock begins to tick... if they lose one, and then replace it with another, the clock should reset. To clarify; The timer should run if you hold a particular set of research centers, failing to hold them, should reset the clock.

The potential winner in this particular game (#2118955) certainly has played well, and deserves a win. But, the opposition also deserves the acknowledgement that they have prevented an immediate win through forcing the potential winner to find an alternate RC. Being forced to play tag should have a price for both sides (the RC holder loses the clock, the RC attackers have to readjust their strategies).

Other then that, great game and an excellent challenge.
      Killings my business, and business is good!
    • Hi, if a player holds 4 research labs and then loses 1, the timer should definitely stop and vanish. If the player then conquers a new 4th lab, the timer should restart at the beginning. If this did not happen somehow, please create a bug report via our support system.