Operation Highjump

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Operation Highjump

Generals!

The race is on. Rumors have it that the 1939 German expedition to Antarctica had not been solely about establishing whaling stations, as the Nazis tried to make us believe. We have gained intel about a German submarine arriving at an Argentine naval base two months after the Nazis surrendered - with the crew telling a different tale. A tale about several fully operational research facilities scattered across the Antarctica, stuffed with advanced technology and well fortified. Mobilize your armies, General, and do it fast. Cause you are not the only party ready to seize the technological treasures Antarctica might hold…

With today’s update we are happy to release the “[Dominion] Antarctica - 40 players” map. Dominion is an all new game mode, which will change the way you play Call of War. In Dominion your goal is no longer to conquer countries, but to conquer and hold special points of interest (research facilities) on the map. The starting area of each player is protected and cannot be conquered or damaged. Use this safe zone to plan your attack. The first player to hold 4 research facilities for 3 continuous days will be declared winner. Coalitions and withdrawals are disabled. You may still form temporary pacts with other players to advance to your goal, but remember: In the end there can only be one winner who takes it all! 15,000 Gold will be the reward. The Antarctica map is inspired by the conspiracy theories around the German Antarctic Expedition (1938-1939) and the post-war US Navy Antarctic Developments Program (1946–1947), code-named "Operation Highjump".

The complete list of changes:
      • A new map/game mode has been released: Dominion. Antarctica - 40p.
      • The rank icons have been polished and received more details and texture.
      • In the "My Games" list we added the last login time of each round to the game information.
      • Members of the High Command are now allowed to create up to 5 games per months.
      • CoW Mobile: The achievements overview was implemented together with several small improvements and bug fixes.

As announced last week, we have also taken first steps to rework coalitions in CoW:
      • Coalitions now have a size limit (depending on map size). Check out last week’s announcement to learn about the implications for existing coalitions.
      • Added bigger coalition flags.
      • Fixed coalition member list and application list layout for coalition leaders by implementing smaller buttons with new icons.

Finally, we fixed a number of bugs, including the following:
      • Fixed missing ranked/unranked info in game details.
      • Fixed supply crates not being enabled in Pacific War maps.
      • Fixed empty team selection menu when certain maps were created as a team game (fixed for new games only)
      • Fixed shop layout for 1024x768 resolutions.
      • Sometimes, the needed amount of players to click the “retire” button was not updated correctly when one of the 3 remaining players got inactive. This has been fixed.

We hope you like the new game mode as well as all of the other changes and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Your Call of War team
      Felix / Alkyonor
      Community Manager
      Bytro Labs GmbH
    • What is going on? Forget setting up a base, how does a developing country like mexico or Columbia get the resources to sail to Antarctica? how do people from the desert countries survive? and how Japan and Italy get their armies back? Can someone explain all of this?
      "White Fang knew the law well: To oppress the weak and obey the strong"
      Jack London, White Fang

My parents once told me not to play with matches, so I built a flamethrower
    • DxC wrote:

That's why it's great, it's far enough from reality that hopefully the historians and philosophers can bite their lips and just play.
      * chuckling out loud -- literally *

This map certainly feeds into the whole devoid-of-reality conspiracy theory of war-gaming.

It could be fun, but I'm holding out for the "Iron Sky" goose-steppers on the moon map. You know, the map
      where liquid oxygen is the key resource and Sarah Palin is listed as the president of the Western States of America.

Heh. ;)
    • I'm just glad to see that SOMEONE over at Bytro paid attention when I suggested creating a polar view map. I'm just sad that's it not an Arctic map with most of the sea ice removed to allow for naval warfare between all sides.

Check out my post on this discussion back when they were looking for new map suggestions. Some of these are pretty good. And don't forget to look underneath the spoilers!

The search of the lost map

Actually, that above link was a later posting after this next link which had a lot more options that I'm kinda proud of.

The search of the lost map (older, better post)

It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3

The post was edited 2 times, last by Diabolical ().

• Alkyonor wrote:

... “[Dominion] Antarctica - 40 players” map. Dominion is an all new game mode, which will change the way you play Call of War. ... The starting area of each player is protected and cannot be conquered or damaged. Use this safe zone to plan your attack. The first player to hold 4 research facilities for 3 continuous days will be declared winner. ...

We hope you like the new game mode as well as all of the other changes and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Your Call of War team
      Just to give the irrelevant and unchanging "0"s of the Index of Nations some interest and intel value, maybe, give each unprotected (outside the starting "safe zone") territory one (1) pseudo "VP" value so that each day change will update the Index to indicate who has the most territories (not including those with which one starts).
    • freezy wrote:

You can actually order the list after amount of provinces to see who is doing good
      No one is doing good until they win, which will likely be the youngest person playing. They can wait for everyone else to die of cancer. But I will leave my game to my grandson in my will and he will avenge my death and will hold all seven garrisons for 100 years using mind control.
    • MontanaBB wrote:

Alkyonor wrote:

*Hastily scribbling down notes...*
      Germans do make the best comedy straight men.
      Dang. We need a freakin' SUPER LIKE button.

I like the way you think, Montana.

DxC wrote:

freezy wrote:

You can actually order the list after amount of provinces to see who is doing good
      No one is doing good until they win, which will likely be the youngest person playing. They can wait for everyone else to die of cancer. But I will leave my game to my grandson in my will and he will avenge my death and will hold all seven garrisons for 100 years using mind control.

And you deserve an honorable mention for that.

Unrelated, I'm still not happy with you about the RoW fiasco. But I'ma let bygones be bygones. Are we cool?
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3

The post was edited 2 times, last by Diabolical ().

• Is it just me or is Antarctica like REALLY big in this map? I mean, it takes a little over a week to circumnavigate the World map with a level 1 Cruiser. I just took the time to map out a circular path around Antarctica, hugging the coastline, and it will take eleven and a half days to circumnavigate the continent. Admittedly, it'd be a little less if I didn't hug the coast, but still....

It's frickin' Pangea!

I just did a bit of checking against the World Map and Antarctica in the new map is actually bigger than Asia!

Though the scale is enormous for this game, It is interesting that we even have a navy since amphibious assaults are largely useless when you can't invade past the shoreline in ANY of your competitor's "beach heads" which makes up most of the coastline.

I get the concept of this match and I kinda like it so far. But it has a few oddities that I think may need to be rethought.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • Ok,

Just started one after some maps are running its course for me. Seems like a nice innovative idea, and I have to compliment the person at Bytro who thought up the nordic/germanic mythological theme in province names. Very well done.

How it will play out? Dunno, I can see favor for both turtle and blitz tactics

*edit*

I do hope to find a MONSTROUS army in the research centres. Dunno, like 500 infantry per province.

(and now Im thinking of a zombie map for next event.......)
    • Not being able to completely kill these countries is a problem. I've worked pretty hard to maintain the biggest army and the most territory but these little vengeful countries that sit there and build up and come back and pester you makes the game suck. I will probably retire it soon.