Naval Mines

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Naval Mines

Should this be added? 10
        yes (4) 40%
        no (6) 60%
      I am not sure how it could be implemented, but I think naval mines should be added to the game. Here are some ideas I have thought up:
      Patrolling naval bombers will automatically set mines when patrolling a region OR
      Naval bombers can be set to drop mines in a small region
      Naval bombers while on patrol can seek and destroy mines
      A ship hit by a mine will loose about 15 or so health (could be changed)

Visual:
      Allied mines will be shown as a red blur in the set region. (Mines will blow up allied boats if not avoided / or not)

I think that this will give players more reason to research naval bombers, as they are currently rarely used.
    • xXCooksterXx wrote:

Destroyers destroy submarines.
      Submarines destroy Battleships, Aircraft Carriers, Cruisers.
      You need destroyers to destroy submarines.

The point is, mines are different than submarines.

Mines are cheap, stationary, and destroy ships
      Submarines are expensive, can move, and destroy ships

This would provide more use to naval bombers, and it would add more variation to the battlefield.
    • beastyben7 wrote:

xXCooksterXx wrote:

Destroyers destroy submarines.
      Submarines destroy Battleships, Aircraft Carriers, Cruisers.
      You need destroyers to destroy submarines.
      The point is, mines are different than submarines.

Mines are cheap, stationary, and destroy ships
      Submarines are expensive, can move, and destroy ships

This would provide more use to naval bombers, and it would add more variation to the battlefield.
      ... Pretty much everything could feasibly deploy naval mines. Minus battleships and cruisers, but that is another matter entirely. Actually, Naval Mines would be good as an early game peace period block on certain maps, with them lasting... Let's say 4 days.

But they should have a limitation, so you don't spam every single map intersection with mines. Submarines, Naval bombers, and Destroyers can deploy minefields. Each submarine can deploy 1 minefield, each destroyer can deploy 2, and Naval bombers can deploy 4 per, BUT they only last for a short period of time(let's say 3 to 5 hours), and are lower damage than the ones you get from submarines and destroyers(because they are aerially dropped). For detection of minefields, Naval bombers can be put on patrol and detect naval mines just like they can submarines. Otherwise they remain hidden until runneth over. Naval bombers and destroyers can destroy minefields that are set up. Naval bombers need to be directed to attack the minefields(take no damage, does not require special parameters on the naval mines), destroyers just need to enter the minefield's area(minimal to no damage, does require a special parameter to make it work as such). Submarines are particularly effected by mines, as they will rupture the hull of submarine, and do major damage to capital warships(everything not a destroyer, basically).

Now, as an addition to this, maybe have a nuclear cruiser? It will have anti-sub, anti-air, anti-mine, and anti-surface standoff capabilities, but it is very slow compared to the other nuclear vessels(only about as fast as a normal cruiser, or something similar), doesn't have much more health than other cruisers and is vulnerable to close up surface action, rockets, undetected naval mines, and massed air attack, if it has no support with it. To make up for it's rather overpowered standoff attack range(and by overpowered, I mean it can attack subs, air, and mines out of the range of suicide, IE right on top of the target, and could attack from maybe 90 to 100-ish kilometers away? So beyond the range of top-tier battleship guns) against all other targets, it only can attack every 2 hours and 30 minutes, and it's defense stats are complete garbage except for anti-air, which is still pretty bad when compared with the normal cruisers. It is also incapable of dealing damage to ground units, and minimal damage to buildings. I'd think that is reasonably balanced. It's not very fast or healthy, not all too powerful, but it has excellent ranged capability over all the other warships, and more importantly, it can shoot down aircraft and submarines(though for this, it can only do so if the submarine is being detected by a naval bomber. No metaphysical sight seeing thing) from a great standoff range, whereas all other AA units(and surface units in the case of ships against subs) must be in direct contact with the enemy to shoot at them. Would add a unique flavor to the nuclear cruiser, a defacto reason to exist besides the fact they were made IRL. Also, possibly allow the nuclear cruiser to carry one or 2 rockets(level 3 or 4, obviously, because otherwise they are useless against other ships). Just one or two. No need for a rocket bed, but having a few rockets would be cool for naval warfare. And no nuclear rockets, because that'd just ruin the fun. Obviously, it would be recommended to have the nuclear cruiser in a fleet of other ships, such as carriers, which can spot submarines for it to shoot at.

Friendly minefields are charted, and therefore allied ships can pass through the area afflicted with mines without destroying the mines and damaging themselves.

... I think that's pretty good.

Edit: Actually thinking about it, the 'can only attack every 2 hours and 30 minutes' part is a bit harsh for such a ship. Aircraft can make three or 4 sorties in the time it takes for that 2 hours and 30 minutes to pass, and would negate the standoff range. So that part can be ignored. Attack strength is roughly equal to other high level cruisers defensive AA stat, and the best anti-sub attack of any of the ships, tieing with the level 6 destroyer, and only moderate ship attack capability. Something like that.

The post was edited 1 time, last by NovaTopaz ().