First Game Ruins it for me

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• First Game Ruins it for me

Hi, I played supremacy 1914 quite a bit back in the day so when i saw bitro finally make their way into the modern world with a mobile ww2 game i was excited to see what it was about. 1914 had a ton of bugs with airplane movements and it seems they finally fixed that element which is good. Overall so far i am impressed with this updated version of their strategy game which i always thought was one of the best in terms of having to manage economy and geopolitics. big team games in 1914 mostly never disappointed and this game probably would have the same result, but.....

well my first game has been ruined by a guy who spammed an absurd amount of gold because he lost on day 3. I beautifully out flanked him everywhere only using gold to spy his army then took his capitol. He then thought he could just buy his way out. when i say an absurd amount, i mean a hundred dollars worth easy. on day 4 he had 20 tac bombers, 10 interceptors, 20+ tank divisions, and a ton of infantry and anti tank..... DAY 4... 12 hrs AFTER i took his capitol. and he could have had more too, this is just what i saw.

For a second i decided to whip my old credit card out to teach this fraud of a stat padder a lesson and after about 50 bucks i was just like... f this game. i beat the snot out of this guy too, but i am not going to play a game where its just "who ever puts the most coins in wins."

Bitro shame on you. great game. HORRIBLE BUSINESS MODEL

The guy who designed the game-play could easily teach big name developers a thing or two since the mechanics are wonderful.. the dbag who thought adding a never ending gold turnstile needs a good beat down.

why not make a gold round where everyone pays to not have gold features in game? I think you might actually keep players if you did. or at the very least a timer on it geez. i am seriously bummed because this game could be great.

have a nice day. my first game will definitely be my last. but hey, you got my 50 bucks.

The post was edited 2 times, last by sgtdeath ().

• This issue has been discussed many times on these boards.

First, be aware that the really ABSURD gold spending users are very rare. Yeah, they can ruin a game by taking the extra queen to the chess board... but there are many moderate spenders which you can beat without gold, by better tactics, more online time, superior diplomacy, etc.

Second, this is a free game for many of us. That is only possible because of players like the guy you just met. Sure, he ruined your experience, but ONLY on this one map. He also created the huge amount of games that are challenging and rewarding to all involved... because he paid Bytro, they are able to rent servers, pay programmers, pay taxes, and all those other expenses running a game like this has. So we should really be grateful to them. The best solution is to realize this, give him a thank you, archive the map and start a new one.

Finally, there are a few Bytro-sponsored events that are gold-free. They are very challenging environments where top players meet and fight without using gold; however does that knowingly just gets banned. There are currently two events running, the Player's League which is more or less continuously (Call of War Players League), and a current event "World in chaos" (CoW EN Community Event: World in Chaos).

Many of us have asked Bytro to introduce games with a one-time registration fee and without further gold use, but they have refused this so far. Thanks for your message, it may be one more drop in the bucket for them to reevaluate their policy in this respect.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Thanks for the reply, It is appreciated.

I know this has been discussed before, I even made a suggestion for a paid non gold round on 1914 10 years ago, but i just wanted to share my first game experience since it was so bad. I am new to this game but I would not call me a noob so to speak since i played so much 1914 before - but how many other straight up noobs get turned off of the game because of this? I honestly find it hard to believe this is a rare occurrence. It is built into the game and more or less encouraged by the developers..... not to mention... this.. was... my ... first... game.

I get the free game speech but sorry, i dont by the strawman here. Creating a pay to win game is not the only way to design a game to make money. And quite frankly, I think they would make MORE money if they didnt. more players = more money. Are there not a ton of inactives in this game? Which makes more money in this scenario? A: 1 guy spends 100 dollars making a huge army on day 3 in a 100 player map, everyone see's this in the paper and quits. B: 50 players spend 10 dollars. This may be a simplistic example but my point here is that their pay to win business model actually hinders this game and holds it back from being a major game. The actual game design and mechanics are better than a lot of AAA titles. Outside of graphics, cow is way better than say hearts of iron 4, but I know very few people that would take a game seriously knowing someone could, at any time, spawn into your game, drop 100 dollars and win the game. And just having that reputation keeps people from playing tbh.

Even if they wont make a gold free round of some sort they need to limit the insta army build. They could ad something like political power. you get so much per day then you cant use anymore until the next day. This would drastically reduce the sore losing credit warrior's. They could also still make money off of the non goldmark rounds by making you watch a 20 second add, have ads in the game, have a paid non gold round, etc etc.. there are all kinds of things they could do to make money without having a pay to win business model. I am sorry, but that argument is tired and a joke. I really enjoy this game which is the only reason i am taking time to write this, but until they implement something to limit gold spam I just cannot take it seriously and spend my free time playing it.

Take care
    • I'd like to point out how rare it is for there to be gold spam people in games. I think I've seen a total of... 2 or 3, in my total play time. And I think all of those never did so to an excessive degree. I haven't played too many games, but I've played enough to know the typical way a match goes. Most players leave, not because someone spends tons of gold, but because the game itself takes so long. Admittedly, Supremacy has the same problem, but Supremacy is also based on WWI, where trench war is the ideology. Most everyone expects really mobile units from a WWII game, and most units do not become highly mobile until far later into the game. Instead of having something which takes a few hours, to a day at the most, many CoW games last upwards of 2 months. Most people can not tolerate that, and leave the moment they realize how the game actually functions. It's why maps have so many inactives pop up on the first day that the system starts taking out inactives, day 3. So many new people leave because of how the game operates as an RTS. They expect a TBS or a very fast paced RTS, or something else which displays the properties of WWII. This game is none of those, and many matches suffer as a direct consequence of it.

Also, take satisfaction in the fact that he spent far more than 100$ to push you back. It costs 850 to speed up the production of a unit or building by 12 hours, 1700 to speed up research by 12 hours, and lots and lots and lots of gold to pay for the resources to get all of those rather expensive units. 20 tacts will, by themselves, eat up around 100000 gold, factoring research, airport building, industry building, resources, and the like. An army of light tanks and anti-tank regiments is in the same boat. So minimum goal expenditure of 100$, at a guess, and probably closer to $200. Most people will not spend that much money. In fact, most people straight up leave the match before it truly gets underway, as I said above. Also, this game does have ads, lots of them. But most of the money comes from High command, and Gold. Supremacy has the exact same policy, as does Conflict of Nations(basically modern CoW). They are all very pay to win, in one way or another.

I will admit, I personally do not like the system myself, but, TBH, it is a (comparatively)small issue that I personally do not have a suggestion on how to fix. And it only ruins 1/50 games, if I had to guess an average. Besides, you can play with friends or make your own matches. Join an alliance and be a competitive player. Join the PL League. There is so many options available that make it less likely that you will be put against a heavy gold user(in the case of the PL league and other such ones, gold use is discouraged.). You know what ruins most games? The lack of active players after day 3, which is regardless of the fact of if there is a player using lots of gold or not.
    • An experience S1914 player says he won't play a 2nd game of CoW Mobile because his first game supposedly had a big spender that supposedly led him to also use a copious amount of gold.

Anyone else find the credibility of this story doubtful? I mean, who gets fed up with a game (forever) because of one incident?
    • I Patton wrote:

Anyone else find the credibility of this story doubtful? I mean, who gets fed up with a game (forever) because of one incident?
      I've played 20 games, won 10 of them on three different maps, and finished second behind an ally in 7 more. I have bought and used gold. I assume that qualifies me as an "experienced player."

And, yes, I have had very similar feelings to those stated above by the original poster, SgtDeath, on several occasions. Far from being alone, I think the OP expresses an opinion that many, if not most rational players share.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MontanaBB ().

• I Patton wrote:

I don't think he means that. Pretty obvious that he doesn't... He means he is going to keep away from the game until it is fixed(which is far less than forever). Also, I've gotten fed up with games due to one issue or another, most being because the game crashes(iPad Mini), and I can't play the game at all. But there is also others which are boycotted because of only one reason. PTW is reasonable. If it isn't obvious already, I'm using my experience with Apple to give some examples. There is a lot of games these days which either has iAP's so unbalanced as to be PTW, or have a economy system that always favors you buying lots to play the game. Numerous MMO's use that model. So no, it is not unusual.
    • I Patton wrote:

Would anyone like to change their rebuttal to my post? This quote sounds rather definite and eternal.
      It does, but I offer evidence that Sgt Death has joined a second game.

SgtDeath: Games joined: 2

Game 2129056 is already on day 6, soon to be day 7 in an hour. This game was already running at the time the original post was made, so it could have been joined before or after.

Now as the the original subject: In ten games I have encountered two players who would spend whatever gold it would take to win. One did much the same as Sgt Death describes and comes out on day 4 with twenty something tanks and a dozen tactical bombers and a navy. He didn't have any skills but didn't seem to care. The second was in a 100 player match and he would spend whatever it took to produce units exactly where he needed them. I made a big advance one night and was two minutes from capturing a vacant city from him when he logged in for the day. In the space of a minute that vacant city sported 3 medium tanks, 2 light tanks, 3 infantry, 6 antiair, some artillery and a couple railroad guns for good measure. This player would spread by landing one armored car on a continent and building whatever he needed on-site. He reminded me of a virus, in that once there was one province turned purple it would spread and could not be stopped. When we tried to make an invasion on him he gold plated over a dozen nuclear rockets and vaporized every single stack of 8 units or more in the space of a couple hours. Over 200 units disintegrated, no more than a dozen per nuke rocket.

It seems that would be such a hollow victory to me. Any fool who wants to spend $50 in gold a day on a 60 day game can win I guess, but it isn't because they are smarter, faster, better, or more attentive.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<