Tactics

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I'm just curious on what tactics everyone here uses for taking over countries, personally, right now I am using mainly commando units with minimal normal inf and many tanks but in small stacks, I find this more efficient myself to have a stack of like 2 commando units and an inf unit along with a couple of tank units or anti tank gun myself, gets it done pretty quick, anyways I'm just curious, what units does everyone else use? What doctrines?
    • In vanilla games, like most people do it... air to kill ground units and light tanks to take the land.

This doesn't work in competitve games anymore though, tactics become much more complicated and "doctrines" must be thrown out of the window as the situation evolves.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

"doctrines" must be thrown out of the window as the situation evolves.
      That about covers it, lol. You need to adapt your strategy to your enemy, your location, and your allies strengths and weaknesses.

trapbob wrote:

2 commando units and an inf unit along with a couple of tank units or anti tank gun
      Do you have air support? If not you will change your doctrine pretty fast when you meet a player with 40 tactical bombers and half a dozen armored cars.

I use a lot of artillery, and i will have a kill rate of 20 to 1 against your tactics in most cases, and steamroll your entire country in 24 hours or less.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

I use a lot of artillery, and i will have a kill rate of 20 to 1 against your tactics in most cases, and steamroll your entire country in 24 hours or less.
      @VorlonFCW: I thought pretty much the same thing when I read Trapbob's suggestion above of using all commandos and tanks ---- that's almost an ideal scenario for a massacre of those expensive commandos and tanks by a big wing of tactical bombers. And it takes 13 hours to replace a commando unit (including 500 tons of rare materials), and they can only be produced in one location (your capital).

@Trapbob: Your question is not one that can be answered in a sentence or two. The best tactics depend on what your opponent is doing. I would block your ground troop stacks (commandos and tanks) with tank, anti-tank and infantry units of my own, and then pound them with my own artillery from behind the lines, and tactical bombers from above. Your described tactics may work against other relatively inexperienced players, especially early in the game, but not against most experienced players who have a grasp of more sophisticated tactics.

Your partial answer is to protect your own ground unit formations from my tactical bomber wings with fighter wings of your own, and be prepared to attack my ground units with tactical bomber wings of your own. Then it becomes a matter of numbers, and who is the better tactical battle manager.

I would suggest you review the spec sheets of the various types of ground units, with a particular emphasis on how one type of unit matches up against another type of unit, and also how the strength of different units varies by the kind of terrain on which the battle is being fought. For instance, the battle strength of commandos increases 100% in mountain terrain, and 25% in urban terrain. The strength of tank units, on the other hand increases 50% on plains terrain, but decreases 50% in urban terrain, and 25% in mountains terrain. And those are just two among many examples.

The post was edited 3 times, last by MontanaBB ().

• K.Rokossovski wrote:

In vanilla games, like most people do it... air to kill ground units and light tanks to take the land.

This doesn't work in competitve games anymore though, tactics become much more complicated and "doctrines" must be thrown out of the window as the situation evolves.

MontanaBB wrote:

VorlonFCW wrote:

@VorlonFCW: I thought pretty much the same thing when I read Trapbob's suggestion above of using all commandos and tanks ---- that's almost an ideal scenario for a massacre of those expensive commandos and tanks by a big wing of tactical bombers. And it takes 13 to 15 hours to replace a commando unit (including 500 tons of rare materials), and they can only be produced in one location (your capital).
      @Trapbob: Your question is not one that can be answered in a sentence or two. The best tactics depend on what your opponent is doing. I would block your ground troop stacks (commandos and tanks) with tank, anti-tank and infantry units of my own, and then pound them with my own artillery from behind the lines, and tactical bombers from above. Your described tactics may work against other relatively inexperienced players, especially early in the game, but not against most experienced players who have a grasp of more sophisticated tactics.

Your partial answer is to protect your own ground unit formations from my tactical bomber wings with fighter wings of your own, and be prepared to attack my ground units with tactical bomber wings of your own. Then it becomes a matter of numbers, and who is the better tactical battle manager.

I would suggest you review the spec sheets of the various types of ground units, with a particular emphasis on how one type of unit matches up against another type of unit, and also how the strength of different units varies by the kind of terrain on which the battle is being fought. For instance, the battle strength of commandos increases 100% in mountain terrain, and 25% in urban terrain. The strength of tank units, on the other hand increases 50% on plains terrain, but decreases 50% in urban terrain, and 25% in mountains terrain. And those are just two among many examples.
      I wasn't paying too much attention to what I was typing when I typed this, so I just thought I would clarify that I only use like commando units and an AA unit as like a quick task force to take land then retreat... I actually do have main armies and stuff but when it comes to bombers not so much, I'm more of an interceptor dude right now... As my tactics don't exactly call for other stuff right now, so interceptors, light tanks, medium tanks, different types of artillery, and stuff. I just meant like a small stack of commandoes and a tank or two or some arty is for me a good blitz unit to use and then to fall back, it makes the enemy come back or split off to take those provinces which in turn lets me use bigger operations to take out the split up units.
    • Well it sounds like you do have a better grasp of tactics than your initial post seemed to indicate.

trapbob wrote:

quick task force to take land then retreat

In that role I like armored cars. Eliminate the enemy units with artillery or air power, then zip out with an armored car and return to the main group, depending on the enemy forces in theater. If the enemy has a lot of planes and is paying attention they make short work of a armored car in that case.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW

• Unless you are fighting AI or an inexperience or low activity player, running out to grab provs will often cost you more than you gain. Otherwise a steady strong movement is best. Of course if you see a low risk chance to grab ahead for speed or resource/production crippling than yea. e.g. it's often worth a suicide mission to take out an IC. If your air is stronger it may be worth it to send out the fast unit with air cover and have an air war.
    • DxC wrote:

running out to grab provs will often cost you more than you gain.

That depends on the enemy and the situation.

If I can reach out and grab an enemy airbase ahead of my defensible position I can gain two things. I get an airbase for scouting deep into enemy territory, and I deny them the use of that airbase to scout and bomb me from. Even if they take it back it is damaged so they can't use it for several more hours.

I also like to have a vacant province between my parked units and the "fog of war" which gives me more time to counter the enemy movement if they advance. It makes their advance slower as they have to cross unfriendly territory, but I can counter their movements faster on my own territory. This doesn't work against all enemies tactics of course. But for days and times when I am not online to manage things I prefer to keep my units back from the front line. Make the enemy search for me, rather than give them a visible target to plan their attack on. Land can be recaptured easily, but replacement units take a lot of time to build, assemble, and transport to the front.

VorlonFCW

• DxC wrote:

Yea, I qualified what I said with the idea that sometimes it is worth it. The issue is that most people can't shake the idea that grabbing a prov is the best thing to do no matter what.
      This.

So many times this!

I have seen people try to drive heavy tanks through my air space to try to take out neutral provinces without resources!

Little no money no resource no manpower provinces.
    • I would start with inf and AT then AA, then go where my geography leads me. NEVER EVER SPAM LTS. Even in early game, a well prepared player can take it out easily. Unless, of course, you're trying to confuse the opponent into moving his troops away from where your troops are going.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • Start with a round of inf (because you can't build anything else yet), then one of arty (because LT aren't ready yet), then one of LT (because planes aren't ready yet).

Even if they can't take out cities, you can wreak havoc on their countryside and immobilize them into sieged cities. Your initial round of infantry can take those out, and the odd AT you may encounter.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Little Racoon wrote:

I would start with inf and AT then AA, then go where my geography leads me. NEVER EVER SPAM LTS. Even in early game, a well prepared player can take it out easily. Unless, of course, you're trying to confuse the opponent into moving his troops away from where your troops are going.

eh its working so far for me
      FUNGUS! *CLAP CLAP CLAP* FUNGUS! *CLAP CLAP CLAP* FUNGUS!!!!
    • I love the answers! Yes, the opposition usually dictates what I do but when attacking/advancing for a long period of time I pretty much come with the kitchen sink. Meaning I come with Lt, MT, AC, AT, arty, AA, mo inf, and of course my beloved planes (bombers and fighters). I will attempt to break my tanks away from the slower units (love gamers who only travel with them all in one stack and have Militia in it)...I will use my planes for cover and advance with my tanks while my slower units come from behind. If I run into a specific resistance that my planes and tanks can't handle, I have the right mix no more than 1 day behind. I just have to set up a defense (or retreat) and then attack next with the right mix! I try to also create troops that I think will be needed before they are needed and not what I would like to make. I'd personally like about 2 armored cars and 1,000 planes.
      "Until there are clearly defined and enforceable rules for hand-to-hand combat, there can't be rules in global war. Kill em all!"