Air base locations

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Air base locations

Currently you can only build air bases at the province control point. However, there are places on the map where distances are so great that until late in the game aircraft have to go to convoy mode to move from one province to the next. (Northern Canada, parts of North Africa and the Soviet Union immediately come to mind)

The game design uses a series of dots to connect control point to control point. This is evidenced at sea and when roads suddenly angle in another direction. When building ports you sometimes have a choice of which road sea terminus you build the port on.

My suggestion is to allow airbases to also have a selectable location if multiple of these dots exist within the province boundary. This would allow you to better plan your airbases to avoid the convoy problem inherent in certain sections of the game map. Lets face it, all you need is some relatively flat ground, and WWII engineers became pretty good at converting a random chunk of ground into an airfield.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda

The post was edited 1 time, last by Peter Mat ().

• generalpatton wrote:

Another method would be to allow planes to double their range for a one way flight.
      There was a fair amount of discussion regarding "ferry range" in the months after the forum first opened, and I raised the issue again about 18 months ago. If you do a key word search using that term you can find the earlier discussions. It would add a greater element of realism and strategy to the game, but those players who believe that aircraft units are already "over-powered" would howl.

As a practical matter, ALL aircraft flights except attacks and patrols are, in effect, one-way flights, so adding ferry range to the aircraft units would permit them to move around the board much more quickly and require fewer intermediate air bases.
    • MontanaBB wrote:

generalpatton wrote:

Another method would be to allow planes to double their range for a one way flight.
      There was a fair amount of discussion regarding "ferry range" in the months after the forum first opened, and I raised the issue again about 18 months ago. If you do a key word search using that term you can find the earlier discussions. It would add a greater element of realism and strategy to the game, but those players who believe that aircraft units are already "over-powered" would howl.
      As a practical matter, ALL aircraft flights except attacks and patrols are, in effect, one-way flights, so adding ferry range to the aircraft units would permit them to move around the board much more quickly and require fewer intermediate air bases.
      In fact, I think that was brought up again recently during one of the aircraft discussions. The biggest problem with such a item is that most of the code for aircraft is still code from S1914, and therefore it would require lots of modifications to get it to add a 'ferry range'. I know for a fact that was brought up recently with the aircraft exploit, as an explanation for the options available and such. So adding that range would likely be a hassle to the development team, and require extensive modifications to the current code.