Most overrated games...?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Most overrated games...?

Hey,

I consider myself to be kind of a “backwards gamer”: Instead of always playing the hottest, freshest, newest games around, I usually wait two or three years (sometimes even longer) until the hype has died (and the games become considerably cheaper before I play them. In doing so, I often think to myself how absolutely overrated some games are even decades after their initial release. So just to satisfy my own curiosity in regards to this topic, I would like to tell you about my Top-10 most overrated Games I ever played and know your opinions on this. (Please note: I am almost pure PC and a little bit of a Retro-Gamer, mostly SNES and Gameboy that is. So, since I have barely any interest in modern console gaming, the following list is about PC and SNES Games only).
      more: mỹ đình plaza
      In my opinion the Top 10 most overrated Games ever are:

10. GTA IV

May be a lot prettier than the preceding GTA titles, but apart from the good graphics, there is really not much to it. Compared to GTA San Andreas especially, there was a lot less of gameplay content, the world was a lot smaller and a lot less diverse. The story and characters were much weaker than in San Andreas and Vice City, too.

9. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Good game but never understood the hype. Contrary to the popular opinion, I don’t think that the story is so special (apart from the plot twist at the end). Also, I think the gameplay is not that diverse and the environments feel pretty stale and lifeless sometimes. Award for best Star Wars Game goes to the Jedi Knight-Series.

8. Bioshock

Okay, the setting in a ravaged underwater city is absolutely fresh and kind of exciting to explore and the story is not that bad either. Apart from that: Just a simplified, more mainstream rehash of System Shock 2 and Deus Ex. If those two titles would have gotten the mainstream attention and hype that Bioshock got, I could actually believe that life is fair sometimes.
      more: eco dream
      7. Tomb Raider

Has some cultural significance when it comes to gender equality and emancipation in video games (because of Lara Croft). If you leave that out, it is just a by the numbers Action-Adventure-Platformer with a very clumsy combat mechanic.

6. The Sims

This gets boring after literally 5 minutes. Why would you play a game that tries to simulate all the boring stuff from real life, like going to work and socializing with annoying people?

5. StarCraft

Okay, the three race are kind of different to play, I admit that, but the story is confusing, the characters are boring and in some ways it plays a lot clunkier than C&C or AoE. Besides, some of the later missions in Brood War are way too f***** hard.

4. The Legend of Zelda – A Link to the Past

There are no people on this earth, who hate Zelda and neither do I. But what is it about this game that it is called the best game on the SNES so often? I can see that it was a pretty good game for its time, but as far as classic games go: Why would you pick this over Secret of Mana?

3. Turok 2 – Seeds of Evil

As a guy who mostly plays FPS on the PC, I am kind of spoiled in that regard. But nevertheless: I gave this game multiple chances. I really wanted to like it. I finished it 3 times now, and even if it’s not the worst game I ever played, it certainly is one of the worst FPS I ever played. Stupid, practically nonexistent story, horribly labyrinthine level design, clumsy, imprecise controls and hours over hours of boring backtracking just to find a stupid key or feather. F***** bullsh*t.

2. Fallout 3

Not a bad game. I repeat: Not a bad game. But certainly not the shining diamond of modern RPG that everybody makes it out to be. I thought the gameplay to be pretty repetitive after a short period of time, the environment is pretty monotonous and lifeless even for nuclear apocalypse and the story is boring and absolutely anticlimactic. Fallout New Vegas was better, yes. But not that much.
      more: chung cư eco dream nguyễn xiển
      1. Super Metroid

Seriously. I don’t get it. Cryptic, tedious, outright boring level design and gameplay, very, very, very slow pacing, a plot that is thin as paper, an absolutely sparse and mostly unimpressive soundtrack and the wall jumps are horribly difficult to pull off. Despite this, I see it on EVERY best-SNES-games-of-all-time-list among the Top 5. What is it about this damn game?

Looking forward to your comments!

The post was edited 1 time, last by doomsmith ().

• doomsmith wrote:

5. StarCraft

Okay, the three race are kind of different to play, I admit that, but the story is confusing, the characters are boring and in some ways it plays a lot clunkier than C&C or AoE. Besides, some of the later missions in Brood War are way too f***** hard.

I take umbrage at your disdain for my favorite game. The lessons of gathering, building, defending, attacking that I learned from that game 20 years ago have made me quite successful here in Call of War.

I will admit that the characters are boring and some of the missions are more difficult than they should be, but Multiplayer is where it is at. Especially on one of the stacked resource maps.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Hectopath wrote:

ForTnItE.
      Jk, Fortnite gets trashed on a lot these days.

I can't really decide which games are the most overrated because of my small brain. Maybe Minecraft? Although that game is a masterpiece it feels a little overrated these days.
      Nah not small brain, also I can agree with MC being overrated.. It's a good game if you enjoy but kinda gets shoved into my throat all over the internet and I can't think of any other game that I hear about more these days.
    • For fans of games, such a list will always be controversial. As with movies, books, television programs, etc., the publicity of long-awaited games can greatly outweigh their quality. There are dozens of games, new and old, that have been ridiculously overrated and, for some reason, are considered almost the best in the world. Some of the games in the upcoming top that I will voice are not the latest releases. And here are the games that had huge hopes but didn't materialize: Assassin's Creed, Any Guitar Hero Game, Gears of War, and more. In my experience, I have not even played these games; my favorite game is Minekraft; I think I will never get tired of playing it. I am often interested in updates, and thanks to this site minecraft.buzz/, I found a couple of new servers.

The post was edited 1 time, last by RicharDavis ().

• Hey there! It's cool to see someone who takes a different approach to gaming and isn't always chasing after the latest and greatest releases. I'm interested to hear about your top 10 most overrated games, especially since you're a PC and retro gamer like myself.

It's always interesting to see how different people's tastes can be when it comes to games, so I'm curious to hear your thoughts. While I may not agree with your list, I respect your opinion and am open to hearing your reasons for why you consider these games to be overrated more than quiz builder.

I think it's important to remember that everyone's gaming experiences are subjective and personal, so what one person may consider to be an amazing game, another may find to be lackluster. At the end of the day, what matters most is that we enjoy the games we play, regardless of whether they're old or new, hyped or underrated.

So, I'm definitely interested in hearing more about your list and discussing our different opinions on these games. Let's do it!

The post was edited 2 times, last by mamertaalexandria ().