Disembarking in a vacant enemy province - visible or not?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Disembarking in a vacant enemy province - visible or not?

So if I am being invaded on a stretch of coastline where I don't have any units to observe, am I able to see disembarking convoys when they begin to land?

I ask because it seems that one popped up out of nowhere on me. I am wondering if I just didn't look, or if it was invisible until it crawled up out of the ocean and onto my land?
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • DxC wrote:

It's invisible if you don't have a unit there to see it. The lighting around the borders is very misleading and we have asked for it to be removed but they won't do it.
      Thank you sir! We have been wondering about this for six months. Wouldn't make sense for them to see it without a unit close or otherwise with a 4 1/2 disembark, I don't see how anyone would successfully land on enemy ground. Could just rocket them, death from Tac's or some other distant means.
    • Yet another reason why leaving your coastlines completely unprotected and ungarrisoned is bad game strategy. A combination of low-consuming garrison units (AA or militia), submarines and/or air patrols will expose potential invasion forces. If you're one of those players who thinks putting 100% of your units on your front lines is a good idea, especially when your empire becomes large, you're eventually going to get burned by an amphibious invasion of your coast or an enemy breaking into your unprotected rear areas. Smart players maintain reserves of some kind, and the ability to move your tactical bomber wing quickly to a coastal area to stop an enemy landing is crucial.
    • Agree that you need reserve units, but do not agree that opposing forces should land undetected. The housewife doing her dishes in the sink doesn't report 100 enemy ships down at the beach? The goat herder on the hill doesn't see them either? or are our civilians actually enemy sleeper spy's, whacking the old men and young boys over the head who are out doing civilian patrols to help the cause.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • It's a game and we need the chance to land undetected. But I agree with a lot of players that we need a cheap unit as home guard. The militia in the way they are now, is to expensiv.

Would you like to play with your friends in a game where gold is banned?

Watch for the next season starts in September!
    • Peter Mat wrote:

The housewife doing her dishes in the sink doesn't report 100 enemy ships down at the beach?
      The German defenders did not report the Allied amphibious landings in Normandy to their superiors until the landings were already underway. The Allies were smart: when they were offloading their small landing craft, they did so several miles offshore, in the dark and taking full advantage of local low visibility conditions and the absence of moonlight. All large transports and warships were kept far enough from shore not to be seen in the dark, and only began their bombardment when the initial wave of landing craft were already en route to the beaches.

It's not a perfect analogue to the game, because the in-game 4.5-hour disembarking process represents the offloading of landing craft from their mother transports, the loading of the landing craft with infantry and equipment, and the travel time from mother ship to shore ---- and probably represents at least two assault waves to get complete units ashore. Of course, the in-game disembarkation process also exists in a very simplified and abstract form, so we're not really sure what's supposed to be occurring during those 4.5 hours.
    • I think this point was brought up in the thread about armoured cars, and how they can be used as a patrolling unit. Another blow against those who deem the armoured car a 'worthless' unit.

Not done this before, but I can see how a single AC unit could be placed on auto-pilot to patrol a stretch of coastline, so that any 'hidden' invasions will be uncovered as it passes by.
    • So long as the coastline isn't to long, I like to park artillery units in locations where they can cover two or more beaches. This works especially well before Battleships and Aircraft Carriers are researched. 3 artillery units can cover a lot of coastline. Playing a North American power on the 22, a Railroad gun can cover 5 or more LZ's (Landing Zones) in some coastal areas. On the 25 historic I put a railroad gun in Iceland once. Found a sweet spot that covered every LZ.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • For the people who don't believe it without pictures:

I had no units in view of this coastline:

one minute prior to disembark completion
      1 minute left of disembark.png

Nothing to see here

Then one minute after disembark complete

There it is off and running. Two minutes between screenshots.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<