How do I make peace with AI and inactive countries?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I make peace with AI and inactive countries?

I've been playing as if war with NPCs is a one way thing-- once you attack them you have to take over every single province because they never make peace. And if you leave one province, you pay the Morale penalty forever.
      :wallbash
      Is there an alternative to genocide that I'm overlooking? Can I take some provinces from an AI-controlled country and leave the rest alone? I know how to make peace with a human, but the AI seems not to respond to requests for peace.

Am I having a brain fart and overlooked something obvious?

Thanks!

His Most Orthodox Majesty, Basil I, Tsar of all the Russias
    • Well it all depends on the reputation of your country. (only applies with elite AI) If your country is expanding very fast AI countries might declare war or trade embargos on you and usually in this case the only way to end a war is to completely conquer their lands.

In most cases with normal AI and inactive players all you have to do is go to the diplomacy tab, go to the country you want peace with, and change your relation from war to peace. It will take a day or 2 for the AI to give you peace in return. This can also work if you want right of way with AI
    • vanyel1963 wrote:

Is there an alternative to genocide that I'm overlooking? Can I take some provinces from an AI-controlled country and leave the rest alone? I know how to make peace with a human, but the AI seems not to respond to requests for peace.
      Toggle your diplomatic relationship from war (red crossed swords icon) to peach (white dove icon on cream background), and wait.

In my personal experience, the longer the game has been played, the quicker the AIs/NPCs will be to respond to requests for peace or ROWs. They will also respond faster after they have responded the first time. Usually a peace request takes at least two or three days the first time; I've had AIs respond in as little as three hours, but usually in less than 22 hours, on subsequent requests. This is how adept AI farmers can keep getting morale boosts from capturing AI successor capitals. On second and third peace requests, if you capture an AI province a few minutes after the daily update, and then immediately request peace, I have found they almost always (95+% of the time) respond before the next daily update.