[UNOFFICIAL][WIP] CALL OF WAR PUBLIC GUIDE

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Just had a quick look, you are missing quite a few terms right off the bat and some are wrong:

You missed many, so I will make list and hope I don't forget any either:

NOTE: I have not heard any vernacular for transport ships, so they could be TS I guess.

CV - Carrier
      CVN - Nuclear Carrier
      BBN- Nuclear BB
      SS- Sub
      SSN- Nuclear sub
      CC- Cruiser
      DD- Destroyer
      TD- Tank Destroyer
      Moto inf- Motorised Infantry
      RINT- Rocket interceptor, although both this term and the unit are rarely used
      Int/fighter- Interceptor
      SB- Strategic Bomber
      NB- Naval Bomber
      LT- Light Tank
      MT- Medium Tank
      HT- Heavy Tank

The ones you got incorrect were "SBE" as "State Based Efficiency", and Tac. Bombers for tactical bombers. SBE should be SBDE which means State-Based Damage Efficiency and Tac. Bombers should be TB. Also the term "mech". I guess it works fine for mech inf, but usually mechanised infantry is just called mech inf.

I probably missed out on a few myself, but these are all the terms that have been around here for years, even before I joined in 2016. So I think(or at least, hope) these are the terms players still use. I'll read through the guide as much as I can and suggest further edits, but I doubt I'll read the whole thing.
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Quasi-duck wrote:

have not heard any vernacular for transport ships, so they could be TS I guess.
      Since we're already using the U.S. Navy ship abbreviations for warships (e.g., CV, BB, CC, DD, etc.), we might as well be consistent. U.S. Navy commissioned troop ships from World War I and thereafter were "AP" -- for auxiliary ship passenger or auxiliary ship personnel, and later during World War II were "APA" -- for auxiliary ship personnel attack. The difference being that APs were often converted passenger liners and APAs were usually purpose-built military transports that were capable of carrying not only men and their personal equipment, but also heavy equipment and materiel as well as landing craft and the necessary derricks to disembark landing craft while at sea or cargo while dockside without assistance. For our purposes, since these ships are capable of offloading and landing troops without the benefit of a port, they would probably be best classified as APAs.

Other commonly used abbreviations omitted from the list include

- SPAA for self-propelled anti-aircraft
      - SP arty for self-propelled artillery

In 2+ years of playing COW, I have never seen anyone refer to core provinces as "CPs" or resource provinces as "RPs."
    • MontanaBB wrote:

In 2+ years of playing COW, I have never seen anyone refer to core provinces as "CPs" or resource provinces as "RPs."
      I'm exactly the same, I think it is just slang to make things easier for newbs to catch on with. Possibly unnecessary as all the terms might cause confusion.
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: