Is it worth it to research higher level transport ships?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is it worth it to research higher level transport ships?

Is it worth it to research higher level transport ships? Is it necessary to research higher level transport ship over other combat units?
      "A ship is always referred to as she because it costs so much to keep her in paint and powder." - Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

• Each game is of course different. You won't gain much time crossing the suez or panama canal with a faster ship, but a pacific ocean journey is better with more speed.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • I'd say it is only useful in VERY specific circumstances. The cost is staggering compared to other researches, both in time (thirty-two HOURS for the first level!) as in resources (4,500 rares!), for a marginally useful feature. When I msut choose between, say, EITHER a 25% faster transport OR a L2 rocket that cannot be shot down by AA and is also much more effective, the choice is clear. Even with abundant resources, the research time is prohibitive in a busy research schedule.

I haven't considered researching transports in any game, even in one where I was playing a Pacific nation. I'd say I could be convined to do it if both cost and time were reduced by 75%.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Peter Mat wrote:

On the 22 map, I would consider it if playing a North American power and circumstances warranted it. I hate that 1 1/2 day ocean voyage.
      When planning an amphibious invasion of a country on the other side of a large ocean, one must consider that the longer one's invasion force must spend at sea, the greater the likelihood of it being detected and/or intercepted. If I am committing 1/3, 1/2, or more of my total land forces to an invasion, I am going to do everything I can to maximize my chances of getting them across the water and safely landed as quickly as possible. To my way of thinking, the 2x convoy speed is not just a matter of convenience, but has a direct bearing on the success or failure of a very dangerous invasion.
    • I have posted to the myth busters thread for this question, but has anyone considered that higher level transports may reduce the distance to capital calculation for morale calculation? Stay tuned for @VorlonFCW if he decides to research that question. If so this could be a game changer on the 50 and 100 player maps.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • WayneBo wrote:

"Distance to Capitol" was changed from travel time to just direct distance on S1914 some years ago.
      I assume that CoW uses the same algorithm. the rationale was to reduce server load.
      Yes that is the official answer. The distance is based on a straight line calculation.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

Yes that is the official answer. The distance is based on a straight line calculation.
      That's what I was told when I asked the exact same question some time last year (someone may want to hunt down that thread to see if there were any other relevant and useful points made). Also, the construction of infrastructure does not affect the distance-morale calculations, either.