WWII era Soviet place names

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• WWII era Soviet place names

After playing a dozen or more games on the 22-player European map, I just noticed that Tver is not the correct Soviet-era place name for the city in Russia ("Communist Russia"). From 1931 to 1990 ---- and including all of WW2 ---- the city was known as Kalinin. If we're going to use Leningrad (St. Petersburg), Stalingrad (Volgograd) and other WW2-era Soviet place names on our maps, we probably should be consistent in our usage . . . .

The post was edited 1 time, last by MontanaBB ().

• I'm guessing that is a lot harder to accomplish then it would seem on the surface. I found some terrain and place name issues when the 50 player home front map was in FP test. (the Adirondack Mountains were a flat plain with double food, for example) Someone fixed the NE section of the map per my suggestions as to appearance and place names. However the food province in the example above was moved to Watertown and showed as double food but produced nothing. So either there is a lot of hard code behind the scenes or there are a lot of tables cross referencing. When the final version of the home front was released, it was the initial version with the numerous naming and terrain errors in the northeast, but it worked. Good luck getting the names changed Montana.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda