Community Mythbusters - Setting the Record Straight

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Community Mythbusters - Setting the Record Straight

Welcome to Community Mythbusters. Several players have a game where we test various "facts" that are often dispuuted. If you have a myth you want us to test let us know.

We have three episodes today: In no particular order:
      1) Do ships heal while in battle?
      2) Can submarines see other submarines.
      3) can destroyers see submarines

First episode: Do ships heal while in battle?

The standard answer about units healing is: Units heal 15% of damage at day change when in your own province. Ships heal anywhere there is water under the keel. (which is anywhere ships can be)

A frequent question to that is about healing during battle, so we tested that today.

One minute before day change the 8th destroyer squadron of Germany was pinned down by an enemy submarine.

Notice 93% condition on the pair of destroyers. They are engaged in combat with the submarine, both the sub attacking the destroyers and the destroyers attacking the sub.

Then the same image a minute after day change

And you can see that the condition has improved to 94%. So we can conclude that :
      Ships will heal at day change, regardless of being in combat or not.

Next episode coming soon!
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Episode 2: Can Destroyers see submarines? Or can submarines slip past destroyers?

Well this is more complicated to show, but here is what happens:

A destroyer cannot see a submarine. The only unit that can see a submarine is a naval bomber on patrol. Spies can also reveal subs, but of course you might not know if they were still in the same place later.

The submarine of course can see the destroyer.

The destroyer is plainly visible to the submarine. For this test I left the submarine on the default fire control of Fire at Will, same as non-high command users will have. I set the sub to move past the destroyer.

I neglected to get a picture of the firing circle range of the destroyer at this point, but IF the destroyer could see the sub it would bombard the sub from range. It does not do that.

When their paths cross ...

At the moment their paths cross my sub attacks the destroyer, simply because that is what two units at war do when they meet. At least most of the time.

One feature of a High Command subscription is the ability to change the fire control orders. For submarines I use the hold fire option. This means they lurk on the bottom of the ocean and the enemy passes by overhead oblivious, unless there is a naval bomber around.
      Even though I am sharing location with the destroyer, it has no idea I am there because I have not attacked it.

Sorry @DxC, but no arrows here either. I promise to sneak one into the next episode.

Stay tuned for Episode Three: Can subs see other subs?
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW

• Episode 3: Can Submarines see other Submarines?

This is a question that defies logic a bit. I already stated that the only units that can detect or reveal submarines are Naval bombers and spies.

I know that my submarine cannot show me where a peaceful submarine is:

We staged this photo. Another countries sub is at the same location as mine. We are at peace in the above picture.

When we change diplomatic relations to war:

You can see the enemy sub is attacked because we are located at the same place and at war.

So in conclusion:
      Subs can attack other subs, even when they can't be seen.

NOTE that as before with the destroyer, having subs set on hold fire will prevent them from engaging, Also in a few curious cases I was able to leave a battle by switching my sub to hold fire, but that does not always work as frequently the units are locked in combat. I am sure there is a fine line of distance, motion, direction of travel, or something that determines the ability to disengage.

As always results are not guaranteed.
      Images
      • Screenshot_12 Sub on default passing sitting sub..png

496.57 kB, 649×515, viewed 56 times

VorlonFCW

• VorlonFCW wrote:

I am sure there is a fine line of distance, motion, direction of travel, or something that determines the ability to disengage.
      It's whether or not you are being attacked. If not you can stop attacking and leave.

Speaking of which, why doesn't your second image above show B10 as attacking? Did you leave the same window open that was open before war declaration?
    • DxC wrote:

Did you leave the same window open that was open before war declaration?
      Yes I did unfortunately. I should have closed and reopened that unit window before taking the screenshot. Since that was a week ago I probably won't re-stage the photo-op.

VorlonFCW

• Here's a question for you:

Does researching transport speed decrease the distance to capital calculation for morale for provinces located across water?

If so this would be a big boost for the 50 and 100 player maps where morale is such an issue for many players.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • WiseOdin wrote:

No
      Distance to capital is set in a straight line, and is not affected by infrastructure, naval bases, or research.
      I take it that my budget request for this test would be denied then? Lol :D

VorlonFCW

• Well the reported unit is "travel time" so the question itself is reasonable.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Some arrows for you Dx ;)

Distance to capital: 1.4 days
      Not Kilometers, but days.
      So reported in days leads one to think that travel time is involved.

In the past I have found that when it says 1.4 days that it will take a self propelled artillery unit 1.4 days to travel to that province from the capital. I believe originally it was calculated by that method, but now is calculated as straight line distance. So speed of units and obstacles do not affect it.

VorlonFCW

• Not "unit" as in military unit, but "unit" as in the qualifier that some quantity is expressed in. Meters, kilo's, days, Newtons, Watts, Ohms... that kind of "unit".
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

WiseOdin wrote:

No
      Distance to capital is set in a straight line, and is not affected by infrastructure, naval bases, or research.
      I take it that my budget request for this test would be denied then? Lol :D
      Hey, as long as it's a sanctioned test map, go for it. Proof is proof, even if it's proof of what we already know.

VorlonFCW wrote:

In the past I have found that when it says 1.4 days that it will take a self propelled artillery unit 1.4 days to travel to that province from the capital. I believe originally it was calculated by that method
      That I'm not sure about. SP Arty was not an original unit. The unit of measurement has always been time, and as far as I know construction never changed it. I assumed it was leftover coding from Supremacy when the devs borrowed stuff to save time (I also can't confirm they reused Sup's code)
      Free Time looks good on me
    • The simple fix is to change the coded unit. In the above example change 1.4 days to 1400 miles, kilometers, inches, etc. Those are distance units. Days, minutes, hours are all a unit of time which have a speed element associated (mph, kph etc). Hence my misunderstanding that if you increase the speed you decrease the time.

Travel distance from point A to B is 60 miles

Car A travels at 30 miles per hour and takes 2 hours or 2/24 of one day
      Car B travels at 60 miles per hour and takes 1 hour or 1/24 of one day

or for our metric audience (btw 60 miles does NOT = 100 kilometers, but it is close and easy to use in the example given)

Travel distance from point A to B is 100 kilometers

Car A travels at 50 kilometers per hour and takes 2 hours or 2/24 of one day
      Car B travels at 100 kilometers per hour and takes 1 hour or 1/24 of one day
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda