Random Map Generator

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Random Map Generator

When are we going to get a random map generator like in New world Empires?

I mean, every other strategy game I've ever played has had a random map generator. It isn't that hard to create. Why doesn't Call of War have one? It's not like all the maps are historically accurate. There's a divided USA, a re-balanced European "Clash", there's a World Map and a Pacific map which also have re-balanced nations.

Heck, there's a grid-game tournament island and even a super-wacky alternate post-WWII history where Nazis have built a secret empire on the South Pole and every other nation (even normalized Germany) gets to have a a beachhead on Antarctica that's guarded by a futuristic particle barrier force field preventing anyone else from crossing into their beachhead.
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • DxC wrote:

Diabolical wrote:

It isn't that hard to create.
      yea it is
      OK, then if you think it's hard, why don't you describe how you think it would be done (creating a random map generator). Maybe you're right...maybe it's hard.

On the other hand, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Sometimes, different designers come up with alternate algorithms for doing complex tasks (like what would be needed for random map generation).
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • Hm... it seems to me that the problem of too many maps created has already been solved by the monthly match creation limits.

Otherwise, I don't understand how "lots of maps" is a problem since the point of a map generator is to create on-demand randomized map topographies. Except for test maps during the development, I see no reason for there to be any maps created except those that are desired by the playing community under the current limits.

If you are referring to something else, then I think we're not on the same page, here.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • DxC wrote:

why would you want to do that?

some people do not want to have to pick between 12 different maps, and prefer to let an algorithm decide for them. Also, you cannot plan ahead with the random generator, so you will need to adapt, making it more difficult.
      "White Fang knew the law well: To oppress the weak and obey the strong"
      Jack London, White Fang

My parents once told me not to play with matches, so I built a flamethrower
    • DxC wrote:

I assumed you mean a totally random map. sounds like you mean random of current maps? why would you want to do that?
      No, I meant a totally random map....in the topographical sense, not the "variety of available choices" sense. I would love to have random maps. And, just like @NukeRaider33 said in the last post, there is no planning ahead for a random map...especially if the devs introduce a fog-of-war feature. So, though we all know various strategies for playing Call of War, we'd be pushed to new limits if we had a random map AND [especially] if that random map was initially obscured.

In fact, that would give players a new incentive to guard against abusing the Share Maps agreement because exclusive knowledge of where certain resources exist can be of strategic importance. In Bytro's New World Empires, they've exploited the fog of war concept fairly successfully...which makes sense since NWE also has the random map generator.

Of course, NWE doesn't hold a candle to the Civilization series. But it's a good attempt to include the exploration aspect of play and I'd like to see it grow into something more. However, it's more important to me to see CoW integrate some of those features of play as optional components.

What I don't understand, given Bytro's overarching genre, is why they keep wrapping entire themes around a single game instead of incorporating all of their games' elements into one single game since they all use the same game engine. Rather than having Call of War and New World Empires and Thirty Kingdoms, etc....as separate websites and dividing up the community into smaller groups, why doesn't Bytro combine them all into one Wargaming site where you can join any map of any genre and play in the style of those genres in one map.

If Bytro were to combine all their games into one with interchangeable rules and maps, then I think their world-spanning communities would actually grow into something much greater. It would become easier to manage as the individual staffs would join together and work together. The revenue streams would be combined. The separate communities -- joined together -- would then have many more people actively communicating with each other...which would benefit the forums, tremendously. And, I think the bugs and testing would get revolutionized, because, no longer would the devs have to keep re-implementing certain features -- separately -- that apply to all the games.

It's just a thought, but I think we'd all benefit from combining the games. I'm not sure that many would agree with me, since -- for example -- Call of War is so immersive and Thirty Kingdoms has its own thing when compared to it. But I think that the benefits of combining them into one site might outweigh the current scheme.

Sorry for the tangent, though. As to the main point, I want to have random map topographies in Call of War.

R.I.P. Snickers <3

The post was edited 1 time, last by Diabolical ().

• Diabolical wrote:

Thirty Kingdoms has its own thing when compared to it
      Sadly Thirty Kingdoms is going to be shut down this month.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • They're going to shut it down? Huh. I never really got into it. But it seems a shame to just close it. But if all their games used the same website, it's maps and gaming style could be saved. If anything, it'd probably get more gamers.

Well, in terms of relevance, I suppose the next one they'd close would have to be NWE just in terms of popularity. Though, if I had to choose one to shut down, I'd just shut down the old one, Supremacy. All the other games are modeled after it, and virtually all the game elements of Supremacy are incorporated -- to one degree or another -- into the other games.

I'm sure I'm upsetting a fair amount of people by suggesting that S1914 be closed. But, c'mon, it's just about the most boring of the series. It was innovative in it's time, but Call of War took all the best elements of it and then made it into the best game on the Internet. Oh, and if they shut down S1914 instead of 30K, then they'd be keeping a game that most closely resembles the S1914 play style, anyway.

Dang, now I have to go look at 30K again.

(edit) I've checked out 30K.

Hm...can't make a new match. Most map types aren't available. The one newest match available has the number one rated player and a bunch of noobs. Heck, I'd be a noob by rating alone (I only played one match...briefly...over 2 years ago).

Interestingly, you can still buy Emeralds and High Nobility membership. Yes, now seems like a great time to invest in the 365 day membership in High Nobility for only $49.99 which counts as a 41% bonus!

You gotta admit, its a pretty rotten thing to do to leave those up when they're planning to shut it all down. Maybe they'll reimburse some of the players who've already invested in these...like, if you bought up a 365 day High Nobility membership just a day before the big announcement came out in December, maybe it would be reasonable to reimburse you for lack of ability to collect.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall of Bytro's accounting department when people start requesting refunds...lol.

It's a funny thing, this reminds me of what happened to my sister at her job over the past month. She works in orders processing for a local specialty gifts and sundries company. Their biggest time of year for her department is the Christmas holiday. Unfortunately, they use UPS as their shipper. And, since a bunch of UPS workers went on strike, a lot of their orders just sat in UPS sorting warehouses and never got delivered in time for Christmas.

Of course, many customers got angry and canceled their orders, which is understandable, but the company couldn't even use a different shipper since their products had already gone out and are (or were?) stuck in the UPS transit chain. Trust me, according to my sister, it's been a huge mess. And what makes it worse is that the company had actually recently lowered my sister's department's pay rate because of systems upgrades that the company wasn't willing to absorb the cost of. As much as I'm a capitalist, I find that practice to be pretty low of them. But now, with all those cancelled orders, who knows what my sister's bosses will do?

R.I.P. Snickers <3

The post was edited 1 time, last by Diabolical ().

• Diabolical wrote:

I'd like to be a fly on the wall of Bytro's accounting department when people start requesting refunds
      Actually Bytro sold Thirty Kingdoms to Dorado Games a while back. It is Dorado that is pulling the plug.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • If people were actually buying, they prolly wouldn't shut it down.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Diabolical wrote:

But it's a good attempt to include the exploration aspect of play and I'd like to see it grow into something more. However, it's more important to me to see CoW integrate some of those features of play as optional components.
      Tfw you want to fight WWII on another planet.
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• just to put it into light detail in order to generate maps for every random generated map the game would have to generate land and detail every little thing such as names, point location of town/city, the connection between each province, terrain, and then make it a country with the preset units that it must load up and place. The maps we have know were all down by hand you have to code all of this. To generate these maps on random would take some stronger servers a bigger budget and a team 3x the one thats already working on the game.
    • Freshmemes wrote:

just to put it into light detail in order to generate maps for every random generated map the game would have to generate land and detail every little thing such as names, point location of town/city, the connection between each province, terrain, and then make it a country with the preset units that it must load up and place. The maps we have know were all down by hand you have to code all of this. To generate these maps on random would take some stronger servers a bigger budget and a team 3x the one thats already working on the game.
      I bet they could do it with the addition of just one or two programmers...ahem, like me...cough cough...ahem.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • Watch out Diabolical, you'd have a boss and he'd probably tell you to code loading icons...
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

Watch out Diabolical, you'd have a boss and he'd probably tell you to code loading icons...
      Heck...that works for me. Anything to make a buck, these days.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

Diabolical wrote:

I'd like to be a fly on the wall of Bytro's accounting department when people start requesting refunds
      Actually Bytro sold Thirty Kingdoms to Dorado Games a while back. It is Dorado that is pulling the plug.
      Wait, wait, wait a minute...hold the phone, bub. I thought Dorado was now a sister company of Bytro under their parent company. Why would they have to "sell" the title when they could simply transfer sub-ownership via the parent company? Is that a normal corporate thing to do? Sheesh, remember the good 'ol days when red tape didn't complicate things so much?

I hate illogical and nonsensical acts of stupidity unless they are thoroughly entertaining. But this....ugh...where's the pepto?

R.I.P. Snickers <3