Divisions

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I wonder if it would not be easier to actually form divisions, instead of having regiments and battalions or just huge stacks of doom, divisions were ideal fighting formations for WW2 as they incorporated different units that complemented each other, so you could for example get a bonus if your units were part of a division instead of separate units you could also incorporate additional artillery/rocket arti /AT and so on but limit its size after all huge stacks are bound to create huge tactical nightmares, it may add to the bureaucracy but this game is slow so playing with units should not be that complicated.
    • I wonder how you want to do that and what exactly you are sugesting. Would not be the division be a kind of "stack" itself? I like the "freedom" of this game to act with the unites whatever I want them to do.
      Because of the mircromanagment of the units you can develop different tactics and you will be able to attack an unprotected ari from behind , as example.
      Without unit managment you virtually left with almoust nothing to do and consider in the game except having a economical building strategy. That would be quite boring I guess. But maybe I got you wrong.

I understand what you suggest as putting the units in, virtualy "the division unit" and thus it will get stronger values.
      So we would running around with the "big division units" and do what with them? meet each other and letz them fight.
      Whats about tactics as hitting the Ari from behind. Counter an Tanks with AT .. having small forces enter the enemy terretory in an unexpected location?
      Maybe I got your Idea just wrong?
    • You can still do all those things and run units anyway you wish obviously your mobility would be much higher if you ran mech units without limbering them to a div at the same time you can custom make divisions for whatever tasks you have in mind, say you want a div able to fight in hilly- mount terrain, or a inf heavy div with its own artillery and so on, in other words this will increase the level of specialization not diminish it, I don't wish to turn this into a real strategy simul like "hearts of iron" for example where you have supply and logistics to worry about just a higher degree of tactics.
    • Could I just ask how this is different from the regular way of picking and choosing however much of each unit type to form your stacks? Currently the point of multi-role/multi unit stacks is exactly what you're suggesting for divisions, since it provides a great amount of flexibility as well as the unit being stronger than a mono-type stack of the same number.
      Kalantigos
      Master Chief Petty Officer.
      Game Moderator
      EN Community Support
      Bytro Labs | Call of War
    • Leadpiper wrote:

I wonder if it would not be easier to actually form divisions, instead of having regiments and battalions or just huge stacks of doom, divisions were ideal fighting formations for WW2 as they incorporated different units that complemented each other, so you could for example get a bonus if your units were part of a division instead of separate units you could also incorporate additional artillery/rocket arti /AT and so on but limit its size after all huge stacks are bound to create huge tactical nightmares, it may add to the bureaucracy but this game is slow so playing with units should not be that complicated.
      The divisions were a vital part of World War II, its creation would be a good thing for the game.

• Kalantigos wrote:

Could I just ask how this is different from the regular way of picking and choosing however much of each unit type to form your stacks? Currently the point of multi-role/multi unit stacks is exactly what you're suggesting for divisions, since it provides a great amount of flexibility as well as the unit being stronger than a mono-type stack of the same number.
      Sure as I see it now "divisions" can be formed by any combination of units >3 will get called a div, actually to have a functioning division as an independent force self sustainable in the field a certain ratio of units had to be observed, you cant just add 3 AAA and 2 AT units and expect them to fight as a div. Scout, eng. batt., inf etc.... including arti combined to form a powerful force that lacked little no matter what it came across on the battlefield, and while arti was an integral part of divisions there were extra heavy artillery units that were allocated to different division for special tasks (see here arti units hanging behind and hitting overhead).
    • I could see this being helpful for organizational purposes as well. If the division can still stack with other units, then when splitting the army in different directions, a division would remain together as a select-able "unit" on the slider list, rather than the player having to individually select the units he wants in the division from the entire group. This would be particularly useful for dividing up large armies with many types of units. In a word, it would be faster.

I am in favor of this idea for this purpose. :thumbup:
      "I'd be unstoppable if it wasn't for Law Enforcement and Physics!"

-James Hylton
      "BOLDLY GOING FORWARD! ('Cause I can't find Reverse)"

"I have returned from my wilderness Exile!!!"

• Has any one of you played the game?
      I use division and they work amazing well. I have normal kill rate against human enemy 1:4.
      Stacking is not the problem here, if a stack is large you just nuke them!
      Or build a point of defence with a smaller stack and attack with speedy units and airplanes the rest of his army and country.
    • Freakbrain wrote:

Has any one of you played the game?
      I use division and they work amazing well. I have normal kill rate against human enemy 1:4.
      Stacking is not the problem here, if a stack is large you just nuke them!
      Or build a point of defence with a smaller stack and attack with speedy units and airplanes the rest of his army and country.
      Stacking is not the point of this thread, particularly not from my comment. My comment has to deal with the ability to organize groups of units using this idea. Would it not be quicker and less stress inducing to be able to create a Division of units; then when sending them into, for example, a territory that has some of your border defenses stationed there, you could select the division without having to deselect the units that were there to defend the territory. It would be slightly faster.

-James Hylton

• Freakbrain wrote:

Has any one of you played the game?
      dude, did you really just say that to James? He's a flippin' mechanical engineer, have you even read any of his posts? he's played this game for over 4 months! He doesn't suggest or agree with something just for the heck of it. He looks at the options, looks at what this or that can do, and he gets ideas from there. Don't jump into a conversation with such a bad excuse for a zinger right off the bat; you won't make any friends like that man.
      Forum Gang Reserves

"Thars one of 'em african lions; the most dangerous cat in these 'ere pawts; Let's poke 'em wit a stick!"

-BOLDLY GOING FORWARD! ('Cause I just broke the Brakes!)

• Jacob, keep the threads on-topic. And what have I told you about retaliating?

-James Hylton

• Oh, right! Sorry man.

topic, topic... oh, yeah! divisions would be cool of you cud make them semi-permanent. Make em so they can be split up later, but dont mix in with other troops and all. That might be cool. Kinda redundant in some ways though.
      Forum Gang Reserves

"Thars one of 'em african lions; the most dangerous cat in these 'ere pawts; Let's poke 'em wit a stick!"

-BOLDLY GOING FORWARD! ('Cause I just broke the Brakes!)

• mechanical engineer, aren't those the guys who have massive problems with maths?
      What is your stats? Look at my stats before you are talking about experience

And back to topic
      The concept is not useable at all.
      1. Research
      If you look at a division you have at the fifth day compared to a division you have at 24 th day.
      2. If you loose a unit in the division does it get replaced by another unit or not at all?
      3. Adaptive warfare, if you play against a good human enemy, he will try to kill you most effectively! You have to adapt to his warfare and counter it other wise you will loose. This means changing a division once a day.
    • You see units as lego pieces that do not connect, a division could be brought back up to strength not by replacing (although that could be an option) units but by reinforcing low strength units, it would become a higher tier unit if you will, with all its advantages and weaknesses if you will. ^^
    • Kalantigos wrote:

Ah, so what you're basically asking for is a way to lock a group of units together for ease of selection, is that right?
      That's what I would take from this: it would keep me from having to split up large groups of units into the specific group I wanted, for example.

-James Hylton

• Freakbrain wrote:

I knew it, you are bad at maths! Have you ever thought how big the data set gets?
      Secondly if you see what tactics he is talking about. I would consider him a noob! Even if he played four or five month.
      What on earth are you talking about? Math has little to nothing to do with this topic (I don't need quantitative reasoning or calculus or knowledge about materials science to worry about this), first of all, and second of all, "Tactics" are not really in question here. I would not send a large group of units into a fray where I know they'll get killed, I am merely suggesting this as a convenience factor. Also, depending on the units in the division, they could be defended against things like air attacks. I usually have fighters patrolling over an attack area to prevent situations like what you mentioned, and I never use the same tactics for every battle. Now would you be so kind as to keep on topic, and not go about berating other players you disagree with. If you can't do that, then I have nothing more to say to you.

-James Hylton