Enemy saw my messages to my ally

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Enemy saw my messages to my ally

Hello all,

An enemy saw my messages to an ally. I know this, because he copied and pasted my exact message and showed me while he called me out on a deceptive lie :)

So how could this happen?

1) My ally wasn't my ally after all and shared my message with my enemy. However, this seems unlikely as he was at war with my enemy as well. And we had been coordinating our attacks.
      2) Is there a spy functionality I haven't discovered?
      3) A hack?
      4) My enemy was playing both armies all along?

I'm intrigued.
    • if you put spies into you enemy capitol and other provinces
      they have chance on picking up random lines from random messages that player has sent or recieved

they can only spy on player to player communications ingame
      they cant spy on coaltion boards or coaltion chats etc..

and its quite random, sometimes you intercepted messages about them talking about their dog butch and then other times you get intercepts where someone is planning to attack someone etc..

IF YOUr new and want to learn more about game and are active join my alliance
      we teach and train new recruits many things strategies/tactics/tips/hints and how battle works and different ways/styles of playing the game..

alliance is called ARTIFICE LORDS the tag is A.T.F
      if you interested and can be active its open to join right now
    • Chat can mean different things to different players:

Any message through the diplomacy menu can be read by spies. Messages to your entire coalition through the diplomacy menu are STILL read by spies. Probably with a greater frequency as they are copied to everyone in the coalition, so a spy in any coalition territory has a chance to pick that up.

I assume that all messages that are send or received through diplomacy are read by the enemy. I like to send messages that are meaningless, such as discussions of the weather, or sometimes I like to mislead other players with messages. That is trickier to pull off though unless your allies are equally sneaky.

Now if you use the chat system everyone has access to help and global, but if you create or join a coalition there is a tab just for coalition members, and that is quite secure according to everything I have learned.

Also if you are in an alliance you have a chat tab that will cross all games, which can be useful as well.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

Chat can mean different things to different players:

Any message through the diplomacy menu can be read by spies. Messages to your entire coalition through the diplomacy menu are STILL read by spies. Probably with a greater frequency as they are copied to everyone in the coalition, so a spy in any coalition territory has a chance to pick that up.
      Can confirm that the proabability to intercept coalition messages is lower than with regular messages, as spies can only intercept messages from the sender in case of coalition chat. It can also intercept from the receiver in regular messages.
    • freezy wrote:

Can confirm that the proabability to intercept coalition messages is lower than with regular messages, as spies can only intercept messages from the sender in case of coalition chat. It can only intercept from the receiver in regular messages.
      Which serves to reinforce my point above: if you don't want everyone else in the game to read a particular message (including "locker room talk," in which someone mocks opponents), do NOT send it through the in-game communications system. There are a multiplicity of alternatives to using in-game comms, including Call of War email available under the "messages" tab on the COW main page.

Knowing that messages are randomly intercepted by intelligence spies, I cannot understand why anyone uses in-game comms for anything other than friendly chit-chat and trades. I will not play with anyone as an ally unless they agree in advance not to use in-game comms for any meaningful communications. I have seen too many embarrassing in-game messages that were intercepted.
    • What I do is I send a message in multiple parts. Example:
      Let's
      Attack
      America

Then I drown out those messages with random messages. So even if the message does get intercepted, then it could be either a random or just "America"

But most of the time I use "messages" in community.
    • Yea spys can be a pain, but I don't use out-of-game comms because, A. I don't like giving my info to strangers on line. B. I am to lazy to make an account just for COW. C. I think it violates the spirit of the game, akin to playing multi accounts, excessive gold spending, or reporting other players swearing.
    • One other thing you can do in chat is to open a whisper chat window, which is only between you and the person you select. To do this one person needs to post a chat message like "Hi". The other person can then left click on the 1st persons name and select Whisper from the sub-menu. This will open a new chat window between the two players only.

I find a scroll problem in all my chat windows where it keeps going to the top, which is quiet annoying, so I do not use it very often. However once you whisper it goes away when you log out so you can start a clean window on your next session.

Downside, you both have to be on-line at the same time.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • T-3PO wrote:

What I do is I send a message in multiple parts. Example:
      Let's
      Attack
      America

Then I drown out those messages with random messages. So even if the message does get intercepted, then it could be either a random or just "America"

But most of the time I use "messages" in community.
      I do that too, but not in word by word. It makes my allies think I'm crazy. I would rather do something like this:

(When I want to attack say germany)
      "I"ve got an idea"
      "Let's attack"
      "Germany"
      "On Monday"
      "I would attack by"
      "naval bombing"

Like that. If the enemy, germany picks up one of these, he would be puzzled, because he has no idea what's the big plan, like if he intercepts "I would attack by", the most dangerous of those, but still safe, he would only know I'm going to attack someone over the rainbow, not who I'm attacking, when I'm attacking, or how I'm attacking.

Of course, using the coalition chat at the bottom left is the safest and most convenient, since you just need to click on bottom left and you dont need to go to diplomacy.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)