Ship Movement (Specifically BBs)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Ship Movement (Specifically BBs)

Why do BBs move slower than Light Armor? In a race across Russia a light tank will beat a Battleship with a few days to spare.

Ships did not move at 1/2 speed of tanks. Certainly not BBs. If a tank moved at a strolling speed, it's crew still had to sleep and rest after 8 to 12 hours. A Battleship or any ship moved 24/7. So while the Bismarck which moved at 55 km/h might be rivaled by a Light tank from the late 1940s, which is doubtful, since tanks did not move that quickly even on roads. A BB of that sort would move for 24 hours, the tank would move at best 8 hours, 12 if you really pushed it.

I'd like to see fleet speeds adjusted because currently these ships are slow as dirt.

If an infantry regiment moved 25 km per day, which is what a human can walk and continue walking the next day for weeks at a time. Then a BB could move 1,000 km per day. That's the difference in speed.

The idea that I can't get my ships from Kiel, to stop an invasion in Spain before those troops are half way through France takes me out of reality.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Eric Saxon ().

• One of the simplifications made necessary by Call of War's level of abstraction is that all ground and naval units can move forever at a constant speed without stopping to rest, eat, refuel, refit or repair battle damage. In-game ground units do move faster through provinces with higher levels of infrastructure, which is sometimes built by experienced players for reasons other than increased resource production ---- e.g., getting through mountainous terrain faster.

That said, the current speeds of all higher level in-game naval units ---- with the notable exceptions of submarines and transport ships (which are significantly overstated) ---- understate the maximum speeds of the best available 1945-era naval tech. I've been meaning to raise this discussion in a separate thread, with a request for input from knowledgeable forum participants that results in changes by the software developers to bring such maximum speeds more in line with 1945 reality. And, yes, the fastest battleships built in 1943-45 could attain sustained speeds substantially in excess of 26 or 28 mph (42 to 45 kmh), as indicated by our in-game L6 and L7 battleships. We need to critically review all naval unit speeds, and rationalize their relative speeds for the highest research levels.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MontanaBB ().

• I understand that in-game infantry moves 25 km/h, which in WWII would have equaled to 25 km/day.

And those light tanks in-game move 55 km/h, which in WWII would have equaled to 55 km/day.

But that means the average BB should move about 300 km/h in game, to reflect the fact that they could move 300 km/day in real life.

Now, to prevent abuses, they could anchor ships to naval bases, the way they anchor airplanes to airfields, and give them a certain range. This way, we wouldn't see troop transports moving from the U.S. all the way to Lenningrad, which is just ridiculous.

But my BBs traveling slower than Light Tank regiments, that's just fantasy.
    • Eric Saxon wrote:

I understand that in-game infantry moves 25 km/h, which in WWII would have equaled to 25 km/day.
      Non-motorized infantry did not then, and cannot now, move at 25 kmh on foot. That translates to roughly 15.5 mph, or slightly faster than a 4-minute mile. Given that middle-distance runner Roger Bannister did not break a 4-minute mile until 1956 ---- wearing track shoes and running kit on a level quarter-mile track ---- it is highly unlikely you could find 1,500 soldiers anywhere in the world who were capable of running anything close to a 4-minute mile in 1945 . . . let alone in full battledress and carrying a 60-pound backpack and 4 to 10-pound weapon. The only way an infantry regiment could move that fast is if they were partially motorized, whereby available trucks were moving a couple of platoons or a company at a time in series.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MontanaBB ().

• MontanaBB wrote:

The only way an infantry regiment could move that fast is if they were partially motorized, whereby available trucks were moving a couple of platoons or a company at a time in series.
      This is a good point, and was agreed upon once a time, so I think this is accurate. Most armies did have some form of transportation for troops en masse, like trucks or trains.
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: