Railroad Gun sight range

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Railroad Gun sight range

Hi,

I am stuck with a player who stack 70 units with mixes of AA, AT and Railroad. Just want to confirm
      1. Railroad gun sight range equal to shelling range or
      2. Railroad Gun have limited sight range and require unit to scout for them for target
      Thanks
    • Vincent818 wrote:

Railroad Gun have limited sight range and require unit to scout for them for target

This is the correct answer.

RRguns can attack units in the shadows at the edge of visual range, but not beyond.

It is usually best to pair RRguns with something like an armored car for an increased range, or spot for them with planes.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Question along this topic. I think I know the answer but wanted you the experts to weigh in.
      Lets say I have some units in a province. In the 'city center' of the province. Now an enemy plane or something probably scouted my units that are there and/or the enemy simply targeted the center of the province. Now if I move my units off the center of the province a bit will his RRG be effective against my units. Is there an effective blast radius for RRG? Will the RRG track my movement and continue to hit my stack of units as I move? Understand it would if he could site my units but he cannot (as I have RRG also and cannot target him because I can't see him with any of my units). Yes...bomber on the way to site and target him but if return my bomber and he moves a bit, then I'm just shooting at dirt correct?

Thanks in advance for clarification.
    • My observation:

To start automatic firing the RRG requires a direct view or a scout that makes the target directly visible. Once the target is "fixed", the RRG continues to fire as long the target is within range, even when the enemy is moving or when running out of the RRG's direct view.

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • Is that his RRGun and armored car?

The armored car has a sight range equal to the railroad gun firing range, so he can track your movement.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW

• VorlonFCW wrote:

Is that his RRGun and armored car?

The armored car has a sight range equal to the railroad gun firing range, so he can track your movement
      The AC and RRG are mine. The incoming shows how it tracked my RRG from the center of the city to where it is now. That is (even though he had no line of site) his RRG was able to track my RRG and continue shooting. That was my question and I believe its been answered above. I've confirmed now also. Works both ways of course. Actually don't like this. But at least I understand how the game works a little better.

Thanks all.
    • Here is a better picture. Enemy in blue. (I can see his RRG) after reckoning with aircraft. I was initially at the city center (Yellow) with the most Southern RRG. He began shooting from his RRG (Blue in Bastion East). But I could not site him. I assumed he targeted the center of my city where my RRG originally was. I thought if I moved it because he did not have Line of site that his RRG would continue to hit my city center versus the RRG stack.

This is not true based on how I can see (and you can from the two pictures as the target (my RRG stack) is locked in.

Bottom line: It doesn't matter if they can't see you after they start firing as long as your in range. It doesn't matter if you try to move away (even though they can't see you). Magically in this game they will continue to track you and hit you.

This I believe is different from a rocket. A rocket cannot hit a moving target.

• jamidan333 wrote:

This I believe is different from a rocket. A rocket cannot hit a moving target.
      Correct, more or less.

The rounds from a railroad gun are calculated as a nearly instant impact due to the velocity of the projectile. The Krupp K5 had a muzzle velocity of 720 meters per second, or nearly 3/4 of a km per second, or nearly 2600 km/hour. This gives you a time of under 3 minutes for a shell to reach a target at max range if you don't figure in any other factors. The game simplifies this to be instant more or less, and accounts for variations with the X factor.

Rockets are much slower at 600 km/hour for a level 2 rocket, so the flight time is longer. rockets target a specific location, but units can move away from the impact zone during the flight time. Once the units have moved more than a couple of kilometers from the impact zone they aren't affected by the conventional rockets. In some terrain some of the slowest units aren't able to move fast enough to escape the rockets if the flight time is fairly short.

VorlonFCW