Realism in combat

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Realism in combat

I can't tell you how pleased I am to have witnessed (on two occasions no less) how a mixed squadron of bombers and fighters, all of which were grounded and refueling at the end of bombing runs, were able to take down nuclear bombers while suffering no damage to themselves. I do realize that some of you may find it hard to believe that such an event could take place however i'd like to point out that over the skies of of Britain, a single Sopwith Camel bi-plane which sitting on the runway had single handily eliminated the entire German Luftwaffe. And as we all know, this led to Goring's execution by an enraged Hitler and eventually led to the end of the war n 1940 a mere 6 months after it had began.

And if you liked this story, Next time I will tell you the tale of the den of cub scouts in a row boat, armed with a half dozen pea shooters, managed to Sink the Bismark.

The post was edited 1 time, last by WiseOdin ().

• Nuclear bombers are fragile, and always have been.

Perhaps there were a few interceptors on patrol over the airbase, or a few ground units with AA capability nearby.

If any of the planes at the target zone had finished refueling and were just parked there they would defend themselves as well.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Nuclear bombers may be fragile however a grounded plane simply does not have the range toi shoot down anything at such high altitude. Had there been ground units or units i the air, I would have accepted the outcome. As for a few units refueling, he simply did not have the time. I followed behind him after his run waited for him to land his 10 fighters and 10 bombers which were in a single group, and then made my run.
    • While the images may show planes on the ground, you can be sure that those planes are armed, fueled, and pilots are in the seat to defend their airbase. For simplicity the game engine may not display them taking off to defend their airbase and returning, that is in essence what happens.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Update: As it turned out, VorlonFCW was right on target with his analysis. I spoke with my opponent who advised that he shot my nuke bomber down with a jet aircraft. It happened so quickly while I was on my run that I never saw it.