supply lines, logistics and encirclement

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• supply lines, logistics and encirclement

I noticed when I played Hearts of Iron some years ago, if you surrounded an enemy army, and therefore cut off its supply, it quickly degraded.

This can change tactics and outcomes significantly. It is also realistic and historical to the WWII era. Many WWII operations were designed to encircle enemy forces; e.g., there were several encirclements in operation Barbarosa, operation Uranus (Stalingrad), there was a near encirclement in the Normandy breakout (Falaise), Arnhem bridge, etc.

Mechanically this could function by either (A) requiring units to be able to trace a line through owned territories to a friendly city (sea lanes would count as owned for this purpose for all players), or, alternately, (B) units would need to trace a line to a friendly city through any territory, owned or not, as long as the line does not pass through enemy units.

Units that are not supplied would slowly degrade, losing condition until they are eliminated or are supplied, in which case the degradation stops.

I suspect it would involve too much programming changes. But, anyway, it would be cool, and make for a new tactic that could be used, and it would add realism.
    • HoI is different than this game. I will not continue because going in depth on the difference is un-nessecary and probably violates the TOS in some way. But the scale of units, and more importantly, territories, is far, far too large to make mechanics such as encirclement practical. The closest the game simulates that is with the malus to province morale from enemy territory being located next to it. But yeah, HoI has a lot more fidelity to it's provinces. One province of russia in this game(on the 10p road to war map, for this example) would compose hundreds of provinces in HoI, and a single unit is usually of regiment strength, the lowest size being full brigades for armored cars and a couple other armored vehicles. You usually don't get something that size encircled in an area as large as the countryside of the Netherlands.
    • I like the idea, I suggested it in the CoN Forums. It makes sense for a game that so many people want 'realism' in. I personally want this added into CoW because it would help a lot of new players actually win battles. It would also prevent players doing large blitzkrieg operations because they would have to have good supply lines.
      "ANU! CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE!"
    • Something that would create this within our scale and framework would be headquarters units. All units with in X distance (think flight range circles) are considered in-supply and would have normal movement and combat ability. Units not within the HQ radius would suffer additional movement and combat penalties beyond what terrain modifiers are in effect.

This would also add new tactics to consider as the HQ would likely become high priority targets and would therefore require some units dedicated to their defense.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • Peter Mat wrote:

Something that would create this within our scale and framework would be headquarters units. All units with in X distance (think flight range circles) are considered in-supply and would have normal movement and combat ability. Units not within the HQ radius would suffer additional movement and combat penalties beyond what terrain modifiers are in effect.

This would also add new tactics to consider as the HQ would likely become high priority targets and would therefore require some units dedicated to their defense.
      Something like this?

Army HQ's

I am sure the team will look into this, thanks for the suggestion
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dr. Leipreachán ().

• Well, I did make something like this in the Conflict of Nations forum, so I will post my idea here because I think it would be useful?

So, The basic idea is that fighting units have a supply of ammo/fuel that needs to be refilled via Logistical Units. So, Let's say that an Armored Division with Mechanized Infantry (We will call it the 12th AD) is fighting, and they are destroying your country. Well, wouldn't it be nice if the 12th AD eventually ran out of fuel/ammo? It would bring a sense of realism to the game, because I don't think an Armored Division would get very far in an Invasion without fuel and ammo. The player would have to set up Military Logistic roads so that the units can move safely through the country, and let's say that if there wasn't a logistical road then the trucks would lose some of the fuel and ammo due to it falling off because of the rough conditions. So, for this to work, the 12th AD would start of with, let's say 1,500 Ammo, and 1,500 Fuel, as the unit fights, they would lose 100 ammo per hour, so I.E. Battle is 2 Hours, then the unit goes down to 1,000 Ammo. As far as fuel goes, the unit would lose 100 fuel per hour, and as your units are upgraded, they would lose less fuel. So, if the unit travels for 6 hours, then they have 900 Fuel. If a unit loses all its fuel then they can't move, if the unit loses all its ammo, they can't fight. This would bring more of a use for Airlifting units to and from places, and that is where the military logistical trucks/planes/helicopters come in! There could also be supply depots strategically placed, where you could say what units Also, these units would have to be protected by infantry units due to the fact that the enemy would target the Supply Convoys and destroy them and there is a bunch of supplies lost to an attack. Here is a list of what they could do.

Supply Depot:
      Lvl. 1 - Would resupply all units in three hours and you could specify what you want to be resupplied there.
      Lvl. 2 - Would resupply all units in two hours.
      Lvl. 3 - Would resupply all units in one hour.

Logistical Truck:
      Lvl. 1 - Carries 250 Fuel and 250 Ammo, would have a basic defense and would cost 350 Supplies, 350 Fuel, and 450 Manpower to build.

Lvl. 2 - Carries 350 Fuel and 350 Ammo, would have a basic defense and would cost 450 Supplies, 450 Fuel and 450 Manpower to build.

Lvl. 3 - Carries 550 Fuel and 550 Ammo, would have a moderate defense and would cost 650 Supplies, 650 Fuel, and 450 Manpower to build.

Lvl. 4 - Carries 950 Fuel and 950 Ammo, would have a moderate defense and would cost 1,500 Supplies, 1,500 Fuel, and 450 Manpower to build.
      "ANU! CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE!"