The REAL Railroad Guns .... And Other Amazing Weapons of WWII

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The REAL Railroad Guns .... And Other Amazing Weapons of WWII

OK, so I just wanted to start this thread as a place where you can post a picture of any truly spectacular war machines of the WWII era. I did that because I ran across this photo on the Internet and it made my jaw drop.

This is...indeed...a very massive Railroad gun. According to the original site viewed, historyinorbit.com -- a junk photo site -- it was called "The Schwerer Gustav" and was "a massive railway artillery cannon that was developed [by the Nazis] to break the French’s Maginot line of defenses [that] saw limited use in the war."

Note the size of the people closer to the gun. If you compare their distance to the foreground with their distance to the gun itself (they are only half-way between the foreground people and the gun), you realize that this cannon was truly a gargantuan gun for the era.
      I think it's almost akin to trying to mount a super-gigantic cannon to the Space Shuttle's moving launchpad.

Here's a 2-minute History Channel clip about this cannon.
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3

The post was edited 2 times, last by Diabolical ().

• The rail road gun is well known and everyone knows it is a pos lol, very impressive feat of engineering.

A very impressive weapon, which was not completed was the German Wasserfall guided SAM. No one would think that this was developed in WWII. Wiki page ---> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasserfall

:00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Silly Duck. Here are the Big Guns:

Krupp had nothing on these. American boys knew what they were fighting for ---- and it wasn't because they wanted to conquer the world.
      Images
      • Rita-Hayworth-Landry-1941.jpg

43.86 kB, 240×315, viewed 213 times
      • vjdaykiss.jpg

100.33 kB, 1,280×720, viewed 200 times
    • Diabolical wrote:

Note the size of the people closer to the gun. If you compare their distance to the foreground with their distance to the gun itself (they are only half-way between the foreground people and the gun), you realize that this cannon was truly a gargantuan gun for the era.
      far easier to look at the people ON the gun.

Railroad guns actually originated way back in the American Civil War.
    • Clanpred wrote:

Diabolical wrote:

far easier to look at the people ON the gun.
      Railroad guns actually originated way back in the American Civil War.
      You're right....I didn't even notice the tiny people on the gun without forcing the page to zoom in to 500%.

You may be right about the history of them, I don't know...but assume you do know what you're talking about. However, it is also true that THIS gun is the single biggest cannon ever produced...if not the biggest of all cannons, then at least the biggest of all cannons mounted to a vehicle of some kind.

(It may be that some modern stationary guns are bigger, but I'm not sure. I've heard of a gargantuan magnetically-propelled cannon that is permanently embedded in the earth which might be longer.)
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • Of course I am right :). What kind of screen do u use? You play on fone?

And of course I am right on my history :) I was an artillery officer at one point in my career :)

for super cannons I think Saddam's super gun Project Babylon weapons would take the biscuit surpassing the WW2 V3. At least the V3 saw action. Both were stationary though.
    • Great engineering of WW-2! Read description carefully for details. Google "KV-VI" afterwards.

Photograph of KV-5 prototype “Победа” shortly before it tipped over and exploded during pre-production trials, 1943. After the German seizure of Leningrad and subsequent two-pronged advance toward Moscow, Soviet industry went into overdrive, creating increasingly bizarre stopgaps as supplies of raw materials began to dry up.
      The KV-5 was one of these. Intended to be a mobile artillery battery, it instead proved to be a massive failure. The first prototype, shown here, fell over during maneuver testing. Poor design of the ammunition storage racks caused the vehicle to explode, killing the crew as well as the photographer.
      The second KV-5, “Родина” survived maneuver testing, but the recoil of the upper main guns broke the turret in half during weapons testing. By that time, 50 KV-5s had already been produced. Most saw success, laid on their sides, as roadblocks during the 1945 Battle of Moscow
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

By that time, 50 KV-5s had already been produced. Most saw success, laid on their sides, as roadblocks during the 1945 Battle of Moscow
      :rolleyes: :wallbash :D :P

The saddest part about that machine is that the designers must've been quite unintelligent not to see the obvious. I mean, sure, it was smart to come up with a way to stack them, in that it took some engineering skills. But, c'mon, anyone with an ounce of wisdom can see that it was destined to fall over. This is a great example of not seeing the forest for the trees.

Oh, you almost got me. I almost submitted that. I nearly didn't see the forest, myself. Cute.

Here's the original picture...it may actually be a KV-2:

I like this one, better:

BTW, your little story was pretty-well done.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

Poor design of the ammunition storage racks caused the vehicle to explode, killing the crew as well as the photographer.
      I liked that sentence most... I didn't write it btw, it came from

tumblr.com/search/prototype%20tank
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • I'm surprised you didn't post the one about the Panzer XXV...

In an excerpt, it says that "Despite its size, the tank was relatively weak. Its massive engine required a thermal exhaust port so wide that a smaller tank would have been able to travel down its meridian trench and fire into the engine itself, causing a chain reaction that could destroy the entire tank."

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • Very nice, the days on the range must've been great.

As for amazing weapons of WWII, I am always amazed by how effective US light armour and vehicles were. They were very impressive little vehicles, especially the Stuart tank.

:00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• lol, the first prototype fired on itself...and the second one cracked like an egg over a ravine.

Just more examples of bad foresight.

But, apart from this, it was still an interesting concept.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • I don't know why, but I just had to post these. I ran across these two images when I found that rolling battleship....

Yes, it's a Battleshoe.

And, yes, it's a crap, er, I mean, trap.

retrieved from:

geekologie.com/2011/04/b5-gaaa…st-sunk-my-battleshoe.php
      geekologie.com/2010/04/in-a-bathroom-far-far-away-ack.php

R.I.P. Snickers <3