The REAL Railroad Guns .... And Other Amazing Weapons of WWII

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Diabolical wrote:

lol, the first prototype fired on itself...and the second one cracked like an egg over a ravine.

Just more examples of bad foresight.

But, apart from this, it was still an interesting concept.
      Alas, it was also created by a modeling enthousiast in the nineties...
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • However, THIS monster was seriously considered for about three months during WW2...

The Landkreuzer P1000 Ratte!

When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Heavy Italian artillery on the flags of De Stefano
      Characteristics of a heavy 305-mm howitzer:

Caliber: 305 mm
      Barrel length: 5,881 m (L / 17)
      Initial speed: 545 m / s
      Angle of attack: 360 °
      Elevation angle: + 20 ° .. + 65 °
      Projectile weight: 295..442 kg
      Maximum firing range: 17,600 m
      Rate of fire: from 5 to 12 per hour
      Weight of the implement (for mod 917):
      - barrel with a shutter: 12 790 kg
      - in combat position: 33 770 kg
      - on the march: barreled carriage 17 510 kg, carriage 14 490 kg, platform 7 870 kg, wagon with platform base and property 7 840 kg

• --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      M1895 12in Railway Gun.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      American 16-inch naval gun.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Humongous railway gun TM-3-12 which used a gun from a battleship mounted on a train chassis.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The post was edited 1 time, last by Prince_Clark ().

• Prince_Clark wrote:

Heavy Italian artillery on the flags of De Stefano
      Characteristics of a heavy 305-mm howitzer:

Caliber: 305 mm
      Barrel length: 5,881 m (L / 17)
      Initial speed: 545 m / s
      Angle of attack: 360 °
      Elevation angle: + 20 ° .. + 65 °
      Projectile weight: 295..442 kg
      Maximum firing range: 17,600 m
      Rate of fire: from 5 to 12 per hour
      Weight of the implement (for mod 917):
      - barrel with a shutter: 12 790 kg
      - in combat position: 33 770 kg
      - on the march: barreled carriage 17 510 kg, carriage 14 490 kg, platform 7 870 kg, wagon with platform base and property 7 840 kg

I can't get over just how much I LOVE those tracked wheels. The pads look like they're kinda vulnerable from the sides, so I'd give them a wrap-around armor plate to cover their hinges. This makes me think that a heavy tank with a strong extended prong-like axle with gigantic wheel-tracks like these could safely scale the most extreme of terrains and inclines.

Does anyone know of some kind of tank that is capable of such extreme terrain or incline like a Jeep doing Rock Crawling, for example? I'm kinda thinking a supersize unimog on steroids with this Italian wheel design could be promising. Hm? The only one I know of is The Animal.

Quasi-duck wrote:

That is some size Italian gun, how did they move it? Horses?
      They did use horses. And the tow cable was made of tightly-woven spaghetti noodles.
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3

The post was edited 1 time, last by Diabolical ().

• Prince_Clark wrote:

Т-34 concrete

That blocky tank looks like it'd be a pretty cheap build, but any decent shells fired at it would likely be it's deathknell.

It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3

The post was edited 3 times, last by Diabolical ().

• Diabolical wrote:

Prince_Clark wrote:

Т-34 concrete
      That blocky tank looks like it'd be a pretty cheap build, but any decent shells fired at it would likely be it's deathknell.
      To do this, the hull of the tank was supposed to be hung with metal boxes filled with concrete of 40 cm thickness. The tests showed that such a T-34 was not taken by Panther from 300 meters already. At the same time the weight of the tank increased by only 4 tons. And in winter it was supposed to use the so-called "ice-concrete". A mixture of gravel, sand and sawdust, filled with water. But the problem of fighting the "cats" of the demoniac was solved by installing an 85-mm cannon. And they refused such exotic projects.