New quotes for COW loading page

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New quotes for COW loading page

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager, born Charles Elwood Yeager, is among the various WW2 persons cited among the newly added quotations on the Call of War loading page. His name is misspelled.

Yes, his name is German in origin, and, yes, it is pronounced "Yay-ger," just like the German word jäger or jaeger. Yes, I recognize that modern German spelling typically uses the umlaut over a single vowel in place of double vowels such as ae and oe, but we do not use the diaresis/umlaut diacritical mark in English, and we continue to use the older German double-vowel spelling of many German words and place names that have been imported into English. In the case of Yeager's German family name, the word has clearly been anglicized, too, by altering the spelling to make it easier to pronounce by native English speakers with no knowledge of the German language. Yeager is the correct and official spelling of his name as reflected on his birth and service records, so it's not a matter of "translation." There is only one correct spelling of his name, i.e. the one he uses.

Bottom line: Chuck Yeager's name is misspelled on the Call of War loading page -- please fix it. His name is Yeager.

And, yes, the old bird is still alive. Ninety-four years old, and still going strong.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MontanaBB ().

• Hmmm. I was warming to the idea of adding one or two Sun Tzu quotes, and something from Clausewitz, but after further consideration perhaps it would be best if we stuck with pertinent quotes from persons who were actually alive during the Second World War and had some impact on its conduct.