does anti-air unit make any sense?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Anti-Air has high defense against air.
      Defense does not lower damage, it is the damage defending units deal against attackers.
      This means when a plane attacks the city/stack the AA is part of, the planes take that damage.

Perhaps you should learn the game, or read the guides on mechanics of the game, before calling anything "idiot design"
      Free Time looks good on me
    • Anti Air only returns fire when attacked.

It makes perfect sense to me. A lowly anti air unit would look extremely foolish jumping into the air and chasing an airplane. It isn't a Surface to Air Missile like became common in the 1970's. The Anti Air gun is simply a heavy machine gun pointed towards the sky and aimed buy a crew of people.

Others can probably tell you the history better than I can.

In any case. The game mechanics are thus: Anti Air needs to be grouped with other units and is protection from air. It will not defend units that are a distance away. When enemy planes are swooping in low for their attack run the anti air crew fills the sky with bullets to deter or possibly even damage the attacking planes. Planes can fly overhead at high altitudes and the lowly anti air crew will just watch and wait.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • The WWW II anti-air guns were more specialized than machine guns. AA were special guns or cannons designed for shooting down aircraft. It would be extremely difficult to hit aircraft with a person firing a machine gun at the speeds that planes were moving during WWW II. The bullets had to reach the area where the plane would be. A person firing a machine gun would have to see the projected path of the plane and be firing so that the bullets arrived at the area the plane would be in.

"Imperial Japanese Army and Navy Land Forces (Second World War)[edit]
      Light antiaircraft[edit]

Medium and heavy antiaircraft[edit]
    • Patrolling also includes attacking.

Yeah, AA is an efficient weapon, but you shouldn't over-expect from them. Attacking a 15-stack which includes 5 AA is gonna be VERY costly for an air attacker.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • you need something bulky with the aa groups to soak up damage so they last a few hits. I like the much despised tank destroyers for this. Depends on the enemy of course.

It is also possible that your enemy had several groups of 5 bombers in the same location. 5 groups of 5 would do that.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW

• I need AA to absorb damage for other units not contrary. AA did absorb damage from planes but they did not make damage to planes, meaning fire back. A few bombers destroyed a lot of AA after LONG time with few loss of planes because AA does not fire back.

The typical scenario is, your expect AA group to protect other units before you go to bed. A few enemy's bombers are hovering up. The next day morning, all your group units are gone, but the bombers are still there with few loss.

No nuclear bombing, no rocket attacking.
    • wayaya wrote:

I need AA to absorb damage for other units not contrary. AA did absorb damage from planes but they did not make damage to planes, meaning fire back. A few bombers destroyed a lot of AA after LONG time with few loss of planes because AA does not fire back.

The typical scenario is, your expect AA group to protect other units before you go to bed. A few enemy's bombers are hovering up. The next day morning, all your group units are gone, but the bombers are still there with few loss.

No nuclear bombing, no rocket attacking.
      AA can't fire if it's dead
    • Dear sir,

I am not asking why the whole group destroyed after AA died. My question is why 10 AA cannot protect air attack from 5 bombers and finally destroyed after only killed 1 bomber. The fire back of AA is so weak. In this game, it works as an iron board to take continuous bombing without talking back.
    • See now you are asking questions, not general unit bashing, so perhaps we can get somewhere.

Please identify the following:
      Complete composition of your forces? Including how many of what researched level
      Terrain
      your core or not?
      Forts

Enemy bomber level, and you claim 5 units

Are you absolutely positively sure there were not two groups of 5, or 5 groups of five?

Have you checked the newspaper to see if there were any other forces involved? Rockets perhaps?

VorlonFCW

• Since you are so sure I did that test run for you

5 lvl1 tac bombers patroling over 10 lvl1 anti air units, in a neutral country so that no home defense bonus is in effect, no other units present.
      The anti air units won, 5 tac bombers were destroyed, 7 anti air units survived.
      Oh and did I already mention that a tac bomber costs 3 times as much as an anti air?

The thing you said about defense damage having to be higher is also not true (although I am not even sure what you were implying with it).

Hope this info helps. You are welcome.
    • freezy wrote:

5 lvl1 tac bombers patroling over 10 lvl1 anti air units, in a neutral country so that no home defense bonus is in effect, no other units present.
      The anti air units won, 5 tac bombers were destroyed, 7 anti air units survived.
      Oh and did I already mention that a tac bomber costs 3 times as much as an anti air?
      Thank you for doing the homework, @freezy. I've been kind of busy the last couple of days and did not have time to respond to this thread at any length.

Here's the bottom line: there's nothing wrong with our in-game anti-aircraft regiments, especially with the buff they received in our last round of unit upgrades, and they can be very effective in destroying attacking enemy aircraft units. As shown by freezy above, you do have to know how to use them to get the best results, but that is true of every in-game unit.

@wayaya, if you have any further questions about how to properly use our AA and self-propelled AA units, please ping me directly on my user page.
    • wayaya wrote:

If AA is moving, would it fire back when get patrolled by planes?
      Yes. Moving AA units will defend themselves.

The way to think about in-game anti-aircraft is that it is purely defensive and purely reactive. And that applies not only to the anti-aircraft and self-propelled AA regiments, but to AA capability of all ground, naval and air units as well. Their AA capability is only triggered when they are attacked by air units, and it does not matter whether it is a direct air attack or the expiration of the 15-minute patrol ticker -- both forms of air attack will trigger the defensive AA capability of the units under attack.