Retreat

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • So I am new here, and I am guessing this has tohave been brought up before, but how come we can't retreat when losing a battle like a real army?

      I mean there would have to be a penalty for using it, but it seems silly that you have to locked into every conflict you get into?

      why would you be able to split your forces and leave some to fight and die while the others escape?

      just throwing it out there.

      cheers
    • Retreat so you can just prolong your defeat? So an aggressor would have to chase an enemy all over the map? No thanks.


      Perhaps some poetry to explain:


      The Charge of the Light Brigade

      BY ALFRED, LORD TENNYSON


      "“Forward, the Light Brigade!”
      Was there a man dismayed?
      Not though the soldier knew
      Someone had blundered.
      Theirs not to make reply,
      Theirs not to reason why,
      Theirs but to do and die."
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill



      VorlonFCW
      Main Administrator
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh

      >>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

      Retreat so you can just prolong your defeat? So an aggressor would have to chase an enemy all over the map? No thanks.


      Perhaps some poetry to explain:


      The Charge of the Light Brigade

      BY ALFRED, LORD TENNYSON


      "“Forward, the Light Brigade!”
      Was there a man dismayed?
      Not though the soldier knew
      Someone had blundered.
      Theirs not to make reply,
      Theirs not to reason why,
      Theirs but to do and die."
      Charge of the light brigade was a military blunder. They only remained in the carnage as they believed they would win if only a follow up charge would happen, which never came because the whole thing was a blunder, DUN DUN DUN!
      The brigade engaged to long that they were obliterated even retreating or staying no point, alot on both sides died, perks of engaging to the end.
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

      Forward, the Light Brigade!”
      Was there a man dismayed?
      Not though the soldier knew
      Someone had blundered.
      Theirs not to make reply,
      Theirs not to reason why,
      Theirs but to do and die
      Cannon to right of them,
      Cannon to left of them,
      Cannon in front of them
      Volleyed and thundered;
      Stormed at with shot and shell,
      Boldly they rode and well,
      Into the jaws of Death,
      Into the mouth of hell
      Rode the six hundred.

      Not to take anything away from the brave British cavalry who died during the Crimean War, but from my perspective it looks like a reminder not to leave home without proper artillery support.
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

      Retreat so you can just prolong your defeat? So an aggressor would have to chase an enemy all over the map? No thanks.


      Perhaps some poetry to explain:


      The Charge of the Light Brigade

      BY ALFRED, LORD TENNYSON


      "“Forward, the Light Brigade!”
      Was there a man dismayed?
      Not though the soldier knew
      Someone had blundered.
      Theirs not to make reply,
      Theirs not to reason why,
      Theirs but to do and die."
      Not to insult the British’s courage, but the Light cavalry’s charge should never be mentioned in conjunction with considerations on strategy and tactics, for obvious reasons... Don’t mistake stupidity and a mislead and overzealous insistence on honour with Bravery (to paraphrase Sun Tzu in his Art of War).

      The idea of a retreat is an interesting one, one that would adhere to the strategic aspect of the game in that you could fake out a big fight only to withdraw a bunch of troops and attack elsewhere. Also retreats are realistic and very much part of warfare.

      To avoid retreat spam however, it should come at the cost of a significant penalty.
    • The lesson that I learn from the Light Brigade is not to enter a battle that you don't intend to win, which is similar to my motto: Don't start a war that you don't intent to finish!



      If you ignore the cannons on the right and cannons on the left and charge deep into enemy territory, you do realize that you have to run back past those same cannons, now on the left and right, in order to escape, and you have the enemy following closely.




      Currently the penalty for a blunder is 100% loss. If that was only 50% loss it will only serve to crumble your forces into a shambles and make you an easy target for the larger force to mop up anyway. Final result = loss

      If you can disengage your losing force, I would demand that the enemy force could also split their force and pursue you. FInal result of that = loss








      Like Montanna suggested. If you want to retreat use artillery.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill



      VorlonFCW
      Main Administrator
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh

      >>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

      Currently the penalty for a blunder is 100% loss. If that was only 50% loss it will only serve to crumble your forces into a shambles and make you an easy target for the larger force to mop up anyway. Final result = loss

      I see your point, but that is an all-too simplistic analysis of the game and its mechanics.

      A well coordinated defense against a superior enemy is fundamentally determined by buying time. You'll want as much time as possible to mount a viable counter-attack, that same time which your invader is trying to deprive you of by invading (given he acts in a way that is optimal for him).

      Hence, using units to slow down the enemy while preparing a counter-attack (aka buying as much time as possible) is vital to any constructive defense.

      Therefore, it does very well matter at which point you engage the invader, and with which units. Your analysis that
      losing troops A+B while defending is the same tactically as losing A ; then B is hence simply wrong. The end result might be a loss of said troops still, but the time you'll have won with each tactic respectively may differ (according to how you use them).

      In that respect, the possibility to retreat adds a whole new defensive perspective, and rather than simply delay the inevitable as you say (which even in itself can be very useful), it gives the defender much more flexibility in his proceedings. Organized retreats have been a potential gamechanger in irl warfare since the beginning.
    • I really do not like the retreat option. Playing RTS means things are constantly happening while you are at work. The possibility of retreat means that if my army intercepts an enemy army that was on the offensive, the enemy could retreat while I'm at work or sleeping, and attack elsewhere without my knowledge that the enemy army had escaped.
      Free Time looks good on me
    • enochen wrote:

      well yeah, but in a war you have to have people constantly keeping an eye on everything or you would get screwed.

      so why should simulated war be any different?

      I mean if you were at work and I someone snuck in an defeated a bunch of your armies and took your cites before you could react, how would that be any different?
      Difference, is I already have your units trapped in battle. For them to escape from that fight, to attack elsewhere is far different than you finding a gap in defenses, in the first place. Especially if the gap was created, by a large force moving to intercept yours. You going, "Backsies!" and moving your units to attack elsewhere wouldn't be proper, for an RTS to employ.
      Free Time looks good on me
    • Being able to retreat would turn the game into "Whack a mole" instead of Call of War.




      Like I said:

      If you split your force and some can retreat I should be able to split my force and chase them down. SO the result is we have two battles going on instead of one. Then you will want to split and retreat again, so I will split and chase you again, so we have three battles. Why bother?
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill



      VorlonFCW
      Main Administrator
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh

      >>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<