Disband Units

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• SpectatorGuest wrote:

Maybe a way to best get rid of them is just to waste them away against the enemy? They will be great meat shields and every little penny helps tip the balance in a battle.
      That's what I said, but my complaint then was they are too slow so they can never be a part of the spearhead and are destined to either slow down your attack or remain forever.
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Quasi-duck wrote:

SpectatorGuest wrote:

Maybe a way to best get rid of them is just to waste them away against the enemy? They will be great meat shields and every little penny helps tip the balance in a battle.
      That's what I said, but my complaint then was they are too slow so they can never be a part of the spearhead and are destined to either slow down your attack or remain forever.
      Maybe defensively they can tip the battle?
    • SpectatorGuest wrote:

Quasi-duck wrote:

SpectatorGuest wrote:

Maybe defensively they can tip the battle?
      Not worth imo reinforcements should act as a strategic reserve, as there should be a constant flow. I usually build too small an army and build it up as I advance. Air is always massive though, same with navy. Usually I lose 5-10 planes in a war and no navy, while the army usually has no losses. This is usually against AI tbf but works fine on Gold AI and players too, tried it on both this match.
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• JCS Darragh wrote:

Why the heck would you produce militia for sub detectors? That'd be too expensive to do, just send out an interceptor for patrol?
      The thread was more about what to do, with the militia the AI spams if you go inactive or if you jump in, late.

Interceptors do not detect subs, so you'd be using Naval bombers; or you could be very surprised when the subs get through XD
      Free Time looks good on me
    • I'd say it's good there is no disband functionality. But it's a problem there are units which you - in some situations - don't want to own: militia and infantry. Because their food upkeep is higher than that of other units, but their power is not.

I always say reduce the food costs for infantry units (by which I mean militia, regular infantry, motorized and mechanized infantry) and at the same time increase their manpower costs. That would have a lot of positive effects:
      * Players would then usually recruit as many infantry units as they have manpower available, since all the other costs of infantry units would be very low. This would realistically represent the relation big country <-> large army, as well as the fact that in WW2 the main part of every army was infantry (whereas in CoW it is rather tanks, planes, and artillery/AT/AA).
      * Manpower would then be a valuable thing, which would make strategic decisions more complex and more interesting. For example, you'd have to think on where to build barracks and when to leave them activated even if currently not producing infantry - which currently never makes sense.
      * Therefore provinces far from your capital would have a value, since they bring full manpower income in spite of low morale. Currently it's annoying to have to conquer these in the late phase of the game, even though they bring you nothing but costs.
    • TacoGod wrote:

I hate it when a ship is built in a lake! UGH! What do I do with a cruiser in Michigan?!?!?
      In case you gave the order to produce the cruiser yourself, you should have asked yourself that question before doing so.

In case you've conquered a province at a lake in which a cruiser was in production at that moment AND didn't notice this AND didn't damage the naval base of that province to less HP than a level 2 naval base (so production continues), then... well, then you indeed had bad luck. But that's an extremely seldom situation, which doesn't justify a new disband unit feature and the negative effects it would have.

Finally in case you were offline for more than 2 days and the AI built that cruiser for you: AI does other nonsense as well; so what?
    • Hans A. Pils wrote:

TacoGod wrote:

I hate it when a ship is built in a lake! UGH! What do I do with a cruiser in Michigan?!?!?
      In case you gave the order to produce the cruiser yourself, you should have asked yourself that question before doing so.
      In case you've conquered a province at a lake in which a cruiser was in production at that moment AND didn't notice this AND didn't damage the naval base of that province to less HP than a level 2 naval base (so production continues), then... well, then you indeed had bad luck. But that's an extremely seldom situation, which doesn't justify a new disband unit feature and the negative effects it would have.

Finally in case you were offline for more than 2 days and the AI built that cruiser for you: AI does other nonsense as well; so what?
      So I take it you never had to produce as many ships as possible before the Mrs calls you to bed. So... you select all provinces, hit the create unit button and choose the naval tab and then start clicking off ships before logging off.

Mistakes happen. Why is there no way to fix my mistakes? That ability is part of real life.
    • Name a country or real life situation where you are not allowed to fix your mistakes. If the USA built a new airplane that proved to be unworthy, they would be mothballed and sold for scrap, not forced to fly around wasting people's lives and supplies.
      If I fix my deck incorrectly, I am able to take it back apart and re-do it or get rid of it.
      If I teach my students the wrong thing one day, I can always let them know the next day and "fix" it.
      If I build a ship in a lake, I want to be able to scrap it. So what if I pay 10% "re-stocking" fee. I want it gone.
    • In real life with a ship in a lake there would be people wanting to preserve it as a museum or turn it into a ferry or tour boat instead of letting it be scrapped :P
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • In one of the game where I was rushed early on, building militia in a few hours each really saved my life, not so much because of their attack but because of the HP they brought to my infantry defensive stacks in city. It slowed down the enemy attack and allowed me to bring stuff, ultimaly making me win the war (and the game).

But yeah, I often have a bunch of militia or AT guns laying around, that I had built in a time of crisis and that I don't need any more. I wish I could disband them. It just feels like a basic option.

I really like the idea of having militia and infantry cost more upfront and less in maintenance.

Another solution - but would need more code - is that militia don't cost manpower or food at all but cost morale as they "live-off the land", so megastack so you can keep a few around "for free" but too much of them are going to be pricey.
    • Chimere wrote:

In one of the game where I was rushed early on, building militia in a few hours each really saved my life, not so much because of their attack but because of the HP they brought to my infantry defensive stacks in city. It slowed down the enemy attack and allowed me to bring stuff, ultimaly making me win the war (and the game).

But yeah, I often have a bunch of militia or AT guns laying around, that I had built in a time of crisis and that I don't need any more. I wish I could disband them. It just feels like a basic option.

I really like the idea of having militia and infantry cost more upfront and less in maintenance.

Another solution - but would need more code - is that militia don't cost manpower or food at all but cost morale as they "live-off the land", so megastack so you can keep a few around "for free" but too much of them are going to be pricey.
      so people can just spam units, and when they get dmg they will just disband them and gain back whatever is scrapped to make a new and fresh unit? sounds terrible, the game already throw planning and strategy out of the window with the last update, implementing as you suggest will only make thing worst. as they said above, if it was your doing, next time pay more attention and avoid the mistake, it will help you GitGud. if it was the IA doing suck it up and play with it.

the idea of making an unit to just be free to make is simply terrible. cant wait for militia units being made without consequances and cheese IA capital trick to keep spamming them for free :whistling:
      You merely adopted the shitposting. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see a proper post until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding!
    • Disband units? How about selling them? Here is a recent ad in the World Herald in a current game ...

Brazil has some excess naval and ground military units. Prices are ... Light Tanks 8,000 ... SP Artillery 6,000 ... Subs 7,500 ... Destroyers 12,000 ... Cruisers ... 20,000 ... First come, first served ... (-:
    • I would like to be able to disband or upgrade units so that I could change the composition of my army later in the game. Like I would want to upgrade some of my early build infantry into motorized or mechanized, but being able to disband and get some resources back and then build what I want would work too.

As it is now the infantry are consuming food making new builds harder.
    • Spiffolo wrote:

so people can just spam units, and when they get dmg they will just disband them and gain back whatever is scrapped to make a new and fresh unit?

sounds terrible, the game already throw planning and strategy out of the window with the last update, implementing as you suggest will only make thing worst. as they said above, if it was your doing, next time pay more attention and avoid the mistake, it will help you GitGud. if it was the IA doing suck it up and play with it.

the idea of making an unit to just be free to make is simply terrible. cant wait for militia units being made without consequances and cheese IA capital trick to keep spamming them for free :whistling:
      Well, if they get damaged to 50% you receive 50% of whatever you would receive if you disbanded them at 100%, which might be 20%, 10%... or even 0% I am happy with it.
      So no, no infinite HP for you.

I think we can discuss without any "GitGud" here… In addition, I don't regret building troops to defend, it was not a mistake - it was necessary in the circumstances, but then I got stuck with the units (and in that specific game, I won nonetheless, as ultimely I put all the militia in a ship to die somewhere - still something I should not have to do).

Last note as a game dev/producer myself : it is always funny to see elements that you know were broken at release (or simply missing) because well you work on a budget and a deadline become "a core element of gameplay of which the removal would totally dumbify the game". It happens quite regularly, and I am pretty it is the case here.