How much Rocket's should I fire at once!!!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• like any attack: the damage done will be spread our among all the target units.

So if a leve l 3 rocket does 30 damage to armored units:

One rocket attacking one armored unit will do (30 * xfactor) to that unit. If the x factor is 50% (average) then it should do 15 damage.

Or one rocket attacking a group of 15 armored units. (30 damage * 50% x factor) = 15 damage. That is divided among each unit, so ONE hit point of damage to each unit.

If you used 10 rockets in one group you run the risk of getting an x factor very low on that whole attack. So 10 rockets * xfactor of 10% gives you the same as one rocket at 100%

So I will give a qualification to my prior answer:

10 rockets against a group of fewer than 10 units then fire in pairs, and see if you killed it after 6 rockets.

10 rockets against a group of a 12 to 15 units, then fire 4 rockets, 3 rockets, 3 rockets

10 rockets against a group of 20+ units, fire two groups of 5 and expect there to be a lot of units left standing.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • There is an X factor for each battle with any kind of unit in any quantity. Like a roll of the dice. You can roll zero several times in a row at any point.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

There is an X factor for each battle with any kind of unit in any quantity. Like a roll of the dice. You can roll zero several times in a row at any point.
      The chance of doing little or no damage is why I normally fire rockets by the 1 or 2, about a minute apart. I try to fire enough rockets to deal the necessary damage, plus about 15%. From there I see what the volleys have done and decide if more rockets are needed.
      Free Time looks good on me
    • Quantity of rockets you have, doesn't matter.
      What matters is:
      The smaller the number fired at once, the less that are affected by a low roll
      The more you fire past what would be 100% obliteration of the enemy force, the higher chance of wasting rockets on an empty target.
    • Hobbs99 wrote:

@WiseOdin So the smaller amount fired at once is stronger.
      I would not say stronger, I would say because of how the X Factor works, you are spreading out your bets across the board. One bad roll will not screw you, completely.

So, with easy math (these are not concrete numbers, just here to show how the equation works), if one in ten attacks gets a -90% multiplier, and you have ten rockets:
      Firing all ten rockets together, you have a 1 in 10 risk of dealing only 10% of your damage.
      Firing each ten individually statistically means one out of the ten will deal only 10% of it's damage, and the other 9 should have better rolls.

Nobody can promise that your luck isn't terrible at that moment, and that all ten of your individual rockets gets a -90% roll.
    • Based on personal experience, here's a handful of rocket rules of thumb:

1. Rockets are often an expensive and inefficient way to kill enemy ground units. If you have another alternative (i.e., artillery, naval gunfire, tactical bombers, overwhelming ground forces, nukes, etc.), consider using it before rockets to kill enemy ground units.

2. Rarely will a single rocket kill a single undamaged ground unit, even those that have only 10 hit points. A notable exception is a conventional artillery regiment, which only has 5 hit points. A typical unit, such as a conventional infantry regiment (15 hit points) may sometimes require 3 rockets to kill it. Light tanks (20 hit points) and medium tanks (25 hit points) will require more rockets to kill, and tank destroyers (30 hit points) and heavy tanks (45 hit points) will require a lot more rockets.

3. Rockets are even more inefficient against enemy aircraft units. Caveat: if aircraft units are refueling, the hit points of all aircraft units drops to only 5 (vs. 20, 25 or 30 when they are fueled)! If you can, time it so your rockets hit the enemy air base while the aircraft units are still refueling.

4. If you must use rockets against armored car and tank brigades, try to hit them when they are in cities, and their hit points are reduced by 50%.

5. Rockets require 500 tons of rare materials, 1,000 tons of metals, and $2,500 in money. Unless it's late in the game when you are producing a lot of rares, metals and cash, be careful: producing massive rocket barrages can quickly exhaust your reserves of rares, metals and cash, and my prove less effective than you hoped -- especially if you are not accurately and efficiently targeting enemy units.

6. It is much harder to hit moving targets with rockets, and the faster the target is moving and the further away it is, the less likely you are to hit it. So, for example, don't bother trying to hit a moving L6 destroyer squadron; it's a waste of a rocket. Rockets target the location of the enemy unit at the time the rocket is fired. If the target is moving, the target may simply move away from the location where the rocket will fall. WW2 rockets were ballistic missiles, not modern "smart missiles" that could adjust their flight path to hit a moving target once the rocket was launched. In-game rockets do have a small blast radius, so "near misses" will damage a target, too, but with less effect than a direct hit.
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

There is an X factor for each battle with any kind of unit in any quantity. Like a roll of the dice. You can roll zero several times in a row at any point.
      Well that's not exactly how the "x factor" works, but for simplicities sake you can see it like that :D There shouldn't be 0% rolls however, the margin is not as big as 0-100%. If you don't see a change in percentage this is due to different reasons, for example rounding of numbers or other combat mechanics at hand.
    • freezy wrote:

VorlonFCW wrote:

Well that's not exactly how the "x factor" works, but for simplicities sake you can see it like that :D There shouldn't be 0% rolls however, the margin is not as big as 0-100%. If you don't see a change in percentage this is due to different reasons, for example rounding of numbers or other combat mechanics at hand.
      No, the range is much smaller. Reports state it is as small as 1%-100% 8o
      :whistling: