Unit renaming

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Unit renaming

When a real life country sells a ship to another country, the latter will usually rename it. CoW players should be able to do the same thing. When you click accept on a trade where you get a named unit a rename window (similar to the one that pops up when you build a unit), you type in a new name, and click confirm.

This will be especially helpful for incidents where someone gives you a ship for free, you accept, only to realize it's named after Adolf (you know who). :wallbash
      Forum Gang Mascot
      Girls game too

dxcalc.com/cow
    • Personal, I think that nameable units should should be named after a random province under the player control, so that:
      1. the names are mostly historically accurate
      2. the names are not offensive or inappropriate
      3. the naming process saves the users brain powers

Now for the people who want to actually want to apply a name to a unit, there should a "rechristening" option that allows the units to be renamed.

There, problem solved
      "White Fang knew the law well: To oppress the weak and obey the strong"
      Jack London, White Fang

My parents once told me not to play with matches, so I built a flamethrower
    • NukeRaider33 wrote:

1. This game is built around a what if scenario
      2. I agree, but just add a filter
      3. I don't know about other players, but I have a system that does not require much thought
      Forum Gang Mascot
      Girls game too

dxcalc.com/cow
    • injinji wrote:

When a real life country sells a ship to another country, the latter will usually rename it.
      I like the idea. I really do. I've been on the receiving end of an aircraft carrier or battleship built by an ally and traded to me, sometimes with a truly goofy name which I would have preferred to change given the opportunity. On at least one occasion, I produced a battleship with a goofy spelling error in its name.

So, add this to the list of ideas for Call of War which would be nice, but have a low priority. If this is something that could be accomplished by a software programmer in 15 to 30 minutes, sure, go ahead, do it now. But if costs Bytro Labs any amount of real money, it will probably never happen.

That said, I also like Vorlon's idea of charging a small fee in gold, say, 25 to 50 gold units, for the privilege of naming capital ships. If it's a successful money-raiser, it could even be expanded to other kinds of units.

As for my own naming habits, when I play the United States (or a subpart of it), Britain, or one of the Commonwealth countries, I will usually christen my ships with the names of historically significant vessels from those countries. For Russia and its subparts, I like to name them after Russian naval heroes (of whom there are surprisingly many). Other countries with no real naval tradition (e.g., Ukraine, Mongolia, China subparts), I usually use a combination of city and province names in some combination. My all time favorites, though, are using the various Mongolian words for horse for my aircraft carriers when I play that country on the Pacific map.

Sadly, however, most the ship names I encounter in games are about what you would expect from the imagination of a 16-year-old boy with precious little knowledge of history.
    • I enjoy naming the capital ships and like putting a little effort into it.

I do wish that name was displayed a little more prominently (and often). As far as I can tell, the name is only mentioned when the ship is completed (in the World Herald) or when it’s destroyed (in the World Herald).

I’d like the battle group the ship is part of to be named after the ship or, at the very least, when I click on the ship it display its name.
    • Charlemagne877 wrote:

I do wish that name was displayed a little more prominently (and often). As far as I can tell, the name is only mentioned when the ship is completed (in the World Herald) or when it’s destroyed (in the World Herald).
      It will be mentioned in the newspaper as often you want.. - ..whenever you sink something or destroy land targets by named ships / fleets. :thumbsup:

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • I quite like naming ships but I've never been a fan of using the same name more than once, unless I use the same name for every ship. I quickly ran out of names long ago.
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• NukeRaider33 wrote:

Personal, I think that nameable units should should be named after a random province under the player control, so that:

Now for the people who want to actually want to apply a name to a unit, there should a "rechristening" option that allows the units to be renamed.

There, problem solved
      Where's the fun in that? I like naming ships.

NukeRaider33 wrote:

My brains operating system is Windows XP, so......

I get that a lot
      Oof

MontanaBB wrote:

Sadly, however, most the ship names I encounter in games are about what you would expect from the imagination of a 16-year-old boy with precious little knowledge of history.
      oof, that's me. I name my ships "unLImITEd pOwER" all the time. #PalpatineMemes

VorlonFCW wrote:

How about rename units for a couple hundred gold coins?
      Ugh, even more gold use. ;-;
    • Charlemagne877 wrote:

when I click on the ship it display its name.
      Like here?

War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Ah, It is harder to fit everything in the smaller mobile format. Mobile is more intended as a companion to using the desktop version than a stand alone experience, but there are a lot of people who play on mobile only.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<