Starting Airbase + Interceptor

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Starting Airbase + Interceptor

The Bytro gods have given us an Airbase and an Interceptor for our wartime merriment at game start. These prove incredibly useful for scouting. This was a good update.

However, for some nation's, the starting location is impeccably useless. Turkey is an example. It is placed in Ankara, far away from any real borders. Not very advantageous.

I propose that we be given the option on where to place the Airbase/Interceptor combo. If we want to place it in Istanbul, great. Maybe I want to place it in Marseilles, instead of Paris.

This would open up a dynamic feel to the game, to beat benefit our expansion desires in the most decisive way possible.

Thanks for your time, have a beer. :beer:

Map name - Europe Road to War 1932 (10-slot):
      Turkey - Move Airbase to Trabzon?
      Russia - Fix territory distances to allow full Airbase networks to be built
      Map name - 100 player world map
      Starting airbase in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia doesn't allow access to anything useful without constructing two or more airbases.

Jauf, Saudi Arabia would be a better spot, as you can spy on two playable countries from there.
      Pax Romana Communications Officer

• Quasi-duck wrote:

Sounds like a good idea, you have my vote. I just hope it doesn't get put "on the list", otherwise we will be waiting a year for them to even start on it.
      Who knows, nobody asked for a starting airport and interceptor to be on the list, and here we have it! XD
      I agree, it should be placed as the player wishes.

Or, they could at least look at where they are, now, and move them someplace that makes more sense? Which would mean players voting at where all airbases go. Would probably be easier for devs, instead of implementing code to produce an immediate air base in a province the player chooses, and then putting an interceptor with it.
      Free Time looks good on me
    • WiseOdin wrote:

Or, they could at least look at where they are, now, and move them someplace that makes more sense? Which would mean players voting at where all airbases go. Would probably be easier for devs, instead of implementing code to produce an immediate air base in a province the player chooses, and then putting an interceptor with it.
      I wouldn't be so sure, that's a lot of lines of code to go through and change. That was their excuse for not fixing unit info and pictures a while back, so I'd say their even less likely to do it that way.
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Quasi-duck wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure, that's a lot of lines of code to go through and change. That was their excuse for not fixing unit info and pictures a while back, so I'd say their even less likely to do it that way.
      Their idea to have the plane was good, they just need to refine small things, like where it is. I'm sure a single place per country is easier, than having it be player's choice.
      Free Time looks good on me
    • WiseOdin wrote:

Their idea to have the plane was good, they just need to refine small things, like where it is. I'm sure a single place per country is easier, than having it be player's choice.
      I can't say much more tbh, I'm no coding monkey. All I could say is what I already said, and that was from what I remember devs and staff saying in the past.
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• xXCooksterXx wrote:

StrangeTalent wrote:

However, for some nation's, the starting location is impeccably useless. Turkey is an example. It is placed in Ankara, far away from any real borders. Not very advantageous.
      Isn't the interceptor in Istanbul?I think it is...
      It's different on several maps.
      Forum Gang Mascot
      Girls game too

dxcalc.com/cow
    • Hi guys :) A feature to select it on your own won't come, too high invest for too little gain.

But we can of course change the positions on the maps. Our mapmaker usually placed them centralized in all countries because that was the most fair and fast solution.

Feel free to provide us with a list where the placement is unbalanced. That means positions where it is too good or too bad. Keep it mind it shall be balanced with all other nations, so don't think egoistically.

List would be:
      Map name - country - province where it shall be placed

We will then evaluate that in the future and may apply these changes (but it doesnt mean we will do everything, or that we do it right now).
    • I will edit the original post for the suggestions.

My main thought initially was for the the 10-slot, 1942. That is used very frequently for alliance matches. I'll sit down today and draw out where I think will be most advantageous and balanced for player vs player.

• Russia AB starting in Moscow is logical, but not functional. I think editing Russia and Turkey to have their Airbases in closer cities would be beneficial. The only other immediate threats are Sweden and Germany, but they are much too far away for any real air threat at game start.

Another issue I want to point out, is interceptors have no way to traverse the vast Russian landscape. Maybe at end game, but that's it.

No matter where you build your Airbase path, you cannot connect Moscow and Stalingrad, nor can Murmansk be connected to any other Industrial Complex.

Really, as far as Turkey goes, the only other IC that makes sense strategically is Trabzon.

• 100 player world map
      Starting airbase in Riyadh Saudi Arabia doesn't allow access to anything useful without constructing two or more airbases.

Jauf would be a better spot, as you can spy on two playable countries from there.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • WiseOdin wrote:

I'm sure a single place per country is easier, than having it be player's choice.
      And that, sir, is the bottom line. Like many suggested changes that "would be nice to have," I respect the fact that there is a price tag associated with each of those suggestions, a price tag that includes precious effort, time and money.

VorlonFCW wrote:

Starting airbase in Riyadh Saudi Arabia doesn't allow access to anything useful without constructing two or more airbases.
      All in fairness, Kosh, the solution is two build the two air bases, which can be functional in the first nine hours of the game. If I have a potential human enemy on my border, I'm going to build the air bases for recon and intimidation. If I'm surrounded by allies and AI countries at the outset, I may delay air base construction until I am ready to mass-produce tactical bombers in a week or so. If I have the choice, based on my assessment of potential threats, I'm going to dump my early capital investments in resource production not in air bases, naval bases, etc., that are mostly unused in the game's early phases.
    • ok yes please discuss and peer review your suggestions here, and when there is consensus a mod can edit a summary post with all the approved suggestions (approved for fairness). if the list is then as complete as you want it to be, you can notify me.

and please dont forget to tell the exact map names as well, already saw a post without any :)
    • BTW, I am glad that we have moved beyond the discussion of last year, when several forum participants (mostly younger ones) suggested that aerial reconnaissance was akin to cheating and that the game dynamics should be changed to make patrolling over non-allied territory impossible without an automatic declaration of war.
    • MontanaBB wrote:

BTW, I am glad that we have moved beyond the discussion of last year, when several forum participants (mostly younger ones) suggested that aerial reconnaissance was akin to cheating and that the game dynamics should be changed to make patrolling over non-allied territory impossible without an automatic declaration of war.
      You mean they took that out? Yes!
      Forum Gang Mascot
      Girls game too

dxcalc.com/cow
    • injinji wrote:

You mean they took that out? Yes!
      Aircraft patrols over non-allied territory will only start an automatic war if you leave the patrolling aircraft unit in the same place for 15+ minutes. Otherwise, it's an "Open Skies" policy for aerial reconnaissance. But, if you're like me and you always have 10 things going on at once, I suggest you put yourself on a 10 or 12-minute cell phone or stopwatch timer when your aircraft are on recon missions over non-allied countries.