Ability to rename units

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Ability to rename units

Alright, I just had a small idea that came to me when I was planning an Operation. I wanted the ability to rename my units, what this means is instead of the 2nd Light Tank Division, I could rename it to the 2nd Replacement Depot. I usually have groups of 6 invading then I have another replacement division on standby so that I can send battalions to divisions that need them. Or, You could rename the fighting divisions to more comprehensible names, easier for the player to manage. I would like this to be implemented because it seems like a good idea to me. Now, of course I realize that players could name them abusive things but those units could just be A. Wiped off the map or B. Just report the player to Bytro and have them suspended or banned. Just a small and kinda cool suggestion I thought should be added. OH Just one more thing for clarification, when the unit is produced, it will have its original name then you can rename it, and also when the paper reports its death it should use the name you named it to, if at all possible.
      "ANU! CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE!"
    • Interesting suggestion.
      Personally (aside from the Reserve thing, which I also do) I sometimes "roleplay" with my units in that if a unit of mine did especially well in a battle, I'll consider them an elite or veteran troop and use them again on important objectives.

However, the benefit of your suggestion is fairly limited. The function you assign to your troops is easily deductible from their placement. According to your strategy, the troops you place further behind the front are reserve troops ; you don't need a specific name to remember that that's their function.

Then again, since it's already possible to give names to some units like Battleships and Nuclear Rockets, I don't see why this could not be extended to other units, or to regiments, etc.

What would be really cool (but probably way too sophisticated and complex for CoW) would be an internal progression system where the more targets a unit destroys, the more experience it gains, giving you the possibility to eventually form skilled veteran corps. The ability to name these corps would go very well hand in hand with that mechanic...
    • Good to see people like this idea too, I know you can name battleships and carrier but their name given to them doesn't show up unless you click on the information bar on them. Perhaps if I had a battleship and I named it USS Mattis, I want to see USS Mattis when I first click on it.
    • JCS Darragh wrote:

I know you can name battleships and carrier but their name given to them doesn't show up unless you click on the information bar on them.
      Apart from clicking on the unit spec sheet, where the ship name(s) do appear, the names also appear in the newspaper when they kill something or when they suffer a unit loss. As an example from my recent experience:

"1:40 am Liguere Sea: The 3rd Destroyer Squadron (Italy) (D 3) has been destroyed by the 171st Battle Group (Northern States of America) "USS Missouri" after heavy bombardment."

Of course, the newspaper only lists the first of the four BBs in the battle group, and it gives priority to "elite" level destroyers over nuclear battleships in naming the battle group, but, hey . . . you can't have everything, right?
    • MontanaBB wrote:

Yes. I like to give my nuclear rockets names like "Urban Renewal," "72 Virgins," and "Arrivederci, Roma." I will also sneak in some obscure references to Fail-Safe, Dr. Strangelove, On the Beach, and the Book of Revelations.

Yes, I know. I am a sick puppy.
      I named some of mine "Creeper", "Redhead's Revenge", "Meesa Back", "GUS" (my enemy named all his "BUS"). My next one is probably going to be "Oops, My Bad", or "Hanshotfirst".
      Forum Gang Mascot
      Girls game too

dxcalc.com/cow
    • MontanaBB wrote:

injinji wrote:

I named some of mine "Creeper", "Redhead's Revenge", "Meesa Back" . . . .
      @Quasi-duck apparently likes to name ALL of his CVs and BBs "Floaty." I'm in a game with him now, and I'm waiting to see if he name his nukes "Explodey" or the like.
      Oh, and I forgot to mention my all-time favorite nuclear rocket name: "Oops, I did it again".
      *Scribbling in personal notebook* And what about "Shooty" the railroad gun?
      Forum Gang Mascot
      Girls game too

dxcalc.com/cow
    • MontanaBB wrote:

Yes. I like to give my nuclear rockets names like "Urban Renewal," "72 Virgins," and "Arrivederci, Roma."
      Bah, I just name all of my units with the shorthand unit name followed by the number of that unit I have built. So the fifteenth Aircraft Carrier would be AC15, the seventh nuclear rocket would be NR7, the twenty-first railroad gun would be RG21. I think you get the idea.

However I think that planes, especially bombers, should be namable, as pilots loved their bombs to drop from planes named after a wide range of things.
      "White Fang knew the law well: To oppress the weak and obey the strong"
      Jack London, White Fang

My parents once told me not to play with matches, so I built a flamethrower

The post was edited 1 time, last by NukeRaider33 ().

• NukeRaider33 wrote:

MontanaBB wrote:

Yes. I like to give my nuclear rockets names like "Urban Renewal," "72 Virgins," and "Arrivederci, Roma."
      Bah, I just name all of my units with the shorthand unit name followed by the number of that unit I have built. So the fifteenth Aircraft Carrier would be AC15, the seventh nuclear rocket would be NR7, the twenty-first railroad gun would be RG21. I think you get the idea.
      However I think that planes, especially bombers, should be namable, as pilots loved their bombs to drop from planes named after a wide range of things.

I can see it now, NukeRaider naming his first plane "Leader" :00008359:
      Forum Gang Mascot
      Girls game too

dxcalc.com/cow
    • So uh besides naming special units, you guys support the ability to rename units to something you'd like? Obviously within the rules of CoW and not anything, you know, from the ruling German political party from 1930s-1940s. But I guess you could name the units like '3rd Royal Tank Slaying Battalion' or something like that.