How good are Commandos?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How good are Commandos?

So, in one of my recent matches I have been producing lots of Commando Regiments to deploy. I saw their stats and I was like Wow! Those are some awesome stats! So, I made lots of Commandos, Most of them died in their first engagement against L1 Infantry and L1 Militia. The Light Tanks supporting them survived, but escaped at VERY low health. Does anyone know why this is? They have 10 Attack and 8 Defend, So why did they die almost instantly in an engagement? Oh, Yes Montana I understand they are commandos and that's not their job to do large offensives.
      "ANU! CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE!"
    • JCS Darragh wrote:

They have 10 Attack and 8 Defend, So why did they die almost instantly in an engagement?
      I don't know why that is, but I have observed something similar in my use of commando units. They seem to consistently underperform their on-paper stats against units that they should destroy and survive (albeit with damage to their condition), even in mountain terrain where they receive a +100% strength bonus. On paper, the in-game commando battalion is stronger than conventional infantry and motorized infantry regiments at all research levels AND they have 5 more hit points (20) than conventional and motorized infantry (15). They also seem to do worse when they are a single attacking unit, and I have observed significantly better results when I double them up in two-unit stack when defending or attacking, and even better when I mix them into a stack of other infantry-class units.

The best I can say from using them fairly extensively since they were buffed during last year's unit "re-balancing" exercise by the developers is that commandos are a better combat unit than militia, conventional infantry and motorized infantry, and I will produce them in lieu of other infantry units during the first month of the game. However, once the mechanized infantry regiment is available and I have completed the research to produce them, I prefer mech infantry rather than commandos in most situations. Mech infantry outperforms all other infantry, armored cars and light tanks, with the notable exception of battles fought in mountain terrain.
    • Hm, Okay, I usually mix my Commandos with Mot. Infantry and Light Tanks. I also usually do stacks of 5, I have a current commando Regiment of 4 Commandos and 1 Mot. Infantry and 1 TD en route. I had a similar stack of Commandos that engaged French L1 Infantry, which had 1 in a stack, they died very fast. This is similar to all of my units in my game, I sent in a stack of 5 L3 Infantry and 1 L1 Armored Cars. They engaged 1 L1 Infantry and my unit died very fast. Any reason Mechanized Infantry outperform all other units?
    • JCS Darragh wrote:

I also usually do stacks of 5, I have a current commando Regiment of 4 Commandos and 1 Mot. Infantry and 1 TD en route.
      JCS, please report back with details of the battle outcome. I, for one, want to hear how your commando stack performs.

JCS Darragh wrote:

Any reason Mechanized Infantry outperform all other units?
      Citius, altius, fortius, my friend. Look at the mech infantry's spec sheet for a list of their strengths and weaknesses compared to other infantry units, lights tanks and armored cars. They are stronger and have more hit points than conventional and motorized infantry, and they outperform light tanks in most situations, armored cars in all situations, and . . . damn . . . they're fast.

When I first figured out how to keep my research running 24/7, I experimented with motorized infantry in mixed battle stacks fairly extensively. Motorized infantry are basically a faster, slightly stronger version of conventional infantry, and they are usually the most fragile unit in the stack if they are caught in the middle of a battle between big armor stacks. In that situation, mech infantry do at least as well as light tanks, and better than other infantry units and armored cars. Of course, armored cars have no business being in combat after tanks become available.

The downside of mech infantry is that they cost more to produce, require an L3 barracks, and they consume more fuel. If you're not maxing out your core oil production between 6,000 and 12,000 tons per day, it's probably better to emphasize tactical bombers, tanks, and fighters (as needed).

The post was edited 1 time, last by MontanaBB ().

• Alright, I will have an after action report soon (couple of hours), and to sum up what you said, Mechanized Infantry is better than most things and are zoomy bois, but is expensive. Armored Cars are better in the start of the game, but is better for recon in the end. Motorized Infantry is good, but not the best and shouldn't go up against armor. I haven't been fighting large stacks of armor in France yet, I have encountered single armored car regiments and I believe a single AT regiment that I destroyed.
    • After-Action Report: My Commandos were weakened but the battle was won. However, the Commandos couldn't keep up with the other infantry and are almost dead. One more fight and they are probably going to be destroyed while the tanks and the infantry will not. Thing is, there wasn't that many troops at the place I attacked. This was my first stack, the second one will have four commandos, a LT division and supporting infantry. drive.google.com/open?id=1MbBs9cfpmhrPrLH7cjOp9G4_m1grQwXN
    • JCS Darragh wrote:

My Commandos were weakened but the battle was won. However, the Commandos couldn't keep up with the other infantry and are almost dead. One more fight and they are probably going to be destroyed while the tanks and the infantry will not.
      We might want to ping @Restrisiko to get his take on this. He has the best overall empirical knowledge of game mechanics and unit match-ups from having widely experimented with just about everything.

Like I said, though, commandos look more impressive on paper than they seem to perform in actual in-game battles, including in situations like mountain terrain where they should excel.
    • So I found that large stacks of commandos are actually good and perform well. However, one or two commandos aren't that good against large infantry divisions. I've found they are the best when they are supported by infantry so the infantry can take the bullets for them. Also Tanks should support them as well.
    • JCS Darragh wrote:

So I found that large stacks of commandos are actually good and perform well.
      Your experience is similar to my own. Given their numbers on paper, I still don't understand why a single commando battalion doesn't just massacre any infantry-class unit, armored car or light tank brigade in mountain terrain, where the commandos get the +100% strength bonus. In mountains, they should be out-shooting conventional infantry by something like 3:1, and commandos have 5 more hit points.

That said, I have often complained that our in-game commando battalion is over-powered and needs to be adjusted to better conform to reality. I would really love to have a serious discussion with the developers about re-working the commando unit. If and when an airborne infantry regiment is ever added to the game, the commando unit will need to be revamped to better distinguish the two units.
    • So what I am thinking is that the Commandos would be a little stronger than standard Airborne Regiments and Infantry. I don't really know what the Commandos should do. I do agree with you on the Airborne unit cap, perhaps only 75 battalions? I think commandos should be a stealth unit and be able to take out infantry battalions and be able to do airborne stuff. What do you think?
    • JCS Darragh wrote:

I do agree with you on the Airborne unit cap, perhaps only 75 battalions?
      Typically, a regiment is composed of two to three battalions, although that can vary widely from country to country, and across different eras. The personnel size of regiments and battalions can also vary widely. Our in-game infantry regiment has 1,500 men, and that's on the smaller side compared to typical American, British and Commonwealth units.

A typical WW2 Allied infantry division had ~15,000 men, and included three frontline infantry regiments, plus headquarters, artillery, combat engineers, military police, and other organic support units. In an American infantry division, the four artillery battalions were the equivalent of a fourth regiment.

A WW2 American airborne division typically had ~13,000 men, usually including two parachute infantry regiments, one glider infantry regiment, three battalions of 75mm howitzers, and one battalion of 105mm howitzers. An airborne division had the same number of infantry regiments as a conventional infantry division, but it had ~2,000 fewer men and its organic artillery was lighter (75 mm & 105 mm vs. 105 mm & 155 mm). An airborne infantry also had less organic anti-tank capability, but that was often supplemented by additional attached units for particular operations. On the other hand, "paratroopers" were almost always better trained infantry, and their esprit de corps was usually unmatached.

So, in some ways, paratroops and commandos were similar (e.g., parachute insertion), but their operational objectives and capabilities were very different. Commandos typically fought small-unit actions in squads, platoons and companies, and only rarely in battalion-size units (e.g., the British/Canadian Dieppe Raid, U.S. Rangers at Pointe du Hoc), with objectives of sabotage, disruption and even assassination. The "commando" mission rarely included taking and holding ground, and certainly not for more than a few hours without reinforcements.

Contrary to some of the factually inaccurate posts you may read in the forum, American and British airborne divisions were intended to take and hold ground at high-value strategic points on the map (river crossings, cross-roads towns) in advance of larger amphibious invasions and/or ground offensives. Unlike commandos, airborne troops were organized and fought as full-size divisions, with divisional headquarters, artillery, engineers, intelligence and jeep reconnaissance subunits, in addition to their three core infantry regiments. An airborne division was supposed to overwhelm local enemy opposition with surprise, capture their strategic objectives and then hold them for 2 to 3 days against enemy counter-attack until they were relieved by larger follow-on ground forces. As the Dick Winters character famously said in Band of Brothers: "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded."

Anyway, I have repeatedly suggested that any single country should only be able to produce and maintain a total of six to nine airborne infantry regiments -- the equivalent of two or three airborne divisions -- and I base those numbers on the fact that the combined Allied air forces of the United States and Britain were only able to deliver three airborne divisions in the two largest airborne operations of the war.

If we assume two infantry battalions per regiment, and three infantry regiments per division, your suggestion of 75 battalions would be the equivalent of 12+ divisions.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MontanaBB ().

• I would agree with you on all of that Montana, but I think for at least CoW, we should have much more Parachute Infantry regiments than just six to nine. I agree on a unit cap, but it should be capped at 10 or 15 (no clue why I said 75 earlier) six to nine, well, to me in CoW wouldn't cause much of a dent. I do realize that the allies simply had no way of transporting that many infantry units. However, I would be in support of limiting units and the amount of drops you could do in one day. Perhaps in a 24-Hour period you can do 5 drops?
    • JCS Darragh wrote:

So, in one of my recent matches I have been producing lots of Commando Regiments to deploy. I saw their stats and I was like Wow! Those are some awesome stats! So, I made lots of Commandos, Most of them died in their first engagement against L1 Infantry and L1 Militia. The Light Tanks supporting them survived, but escaped at VERY low health. Does anyone know why this is? They have 10 Attack and 8 Defend, So why did they die almost instantly in an engagement? Oh, Yes Montana I understand they are commandos and that's not their job to do large offensives.
      I produce a lot of commandos too. It important to know on what terrain the battle took place. Militia get a bonus on hills. If the playhr controls and is defending a core province, the enemy gets a 15% home defense bonus. It also makes a difference whether the L1 infantry and L1 militia are defending. They get better stats when defending.
      I mix commandos in with other types of units. A mixed stack tends to get better results than a single unit stack.
    • JCS Darragh wrote:

Hm, Okay, I usually mix my Commandos with Mot. Infantry and Light Tanks. I also usually do stacks of 5, I have a current commando Regiment of 4 Commandos and 1 Mot. Infantry and 1 TD en route. I had a similar stack of Commandos that engaged French L1 Infantry, which had 1 in a stack, they died very fast. This is similar to all of my units in my game, I sent in a stack of 5 L3 Infantry and 1 L1 Armored Cars. They engaged 1 L1 Infantry and my unit died very fast. Any reason Mechanized Infantry outperform all other units?
      That is strange. Again it is important to know what terrain the battle will take place on. I use a variety of mixed stacks. I recon with either air and/or armored car. I usually have one high condition commando in my stacks. That may be why I don't usually lose commandos. The stacks I use depend on what the enemy has. I will use a LT, a MT, a mech inf, a motorized infantry, a commando, a infantry, an AT, AA (if needed) or some combo of those depending on what I have available. Oh, and don't forget to use art and/or SP art. You also want local air superiority whenever possible.
    • Update: 1 Commando Stack died, The others I used as force multipliers. Currently, I am stomping out the last of French Resistance. It is a lot like the ending episodes in Band of Brothers (that's how I feel) I have regrouped the Commandos and they are currently moving into the French City of Lyon. Then into the Mountains, then off to the French island to take it for the UK. Summary: Commandos are good as large stacks of 4-5 with some supporting units, decent in stacks of 2-3 with medium amounts of supporting units, and are meh by themselves with lots supporting units.
      (That 5 Stack you see is 5 units of commandos, I plan on making another stack of 5 Commandos and keeping them in reserve)
    • Someday I will read this whole mess, but what I see so far:

MontanaBB wrote:

I still don't understand why a single commando battalion doesn't just massacre any infantry-class unit,

It might have something to do with one of the combat mechanics that works with the X factor.

The magic number is a 20:1 advantage. If that is exceeded you get a normal combat with the x factor. If you don't have the 20:1 advantage you will never completely destroy the enemy in the first blow.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • I cannot provide you with precise numbers, but I can confirm that as an avid user of Commandos in one of my games, I have been somewhat surprised by the way they performed against Infantry (mostly in cities) ; they were notably less powerful than I expected them to be given their significant stats.

Against Light tanks however I noted a good performance, although they may have more to do with the fact that the combat took place in city terrain.

Maybe this is a "glitch" ?
    • MontanaBB wrote:

Contrary to some of the factually inaccurate posts you may read in the forum, American and British airborne division were intended to take and hold ground at high-value strategic points on the map (river crossings, cross-roads towns) in advance of larger amphibious invasions and/or ground offensives. Unlike commandos, airborne troops were organized and fought as full-size divisions, with divisional headquarters, artillery, engineers, intelligence and jeep reconnaissance subunits, in addition to their three core infantry regiments. An airborne division was supposed to overwhelm local enemy opposition with surprise, capture their strategic objectives and then hold them for 2 to 3 days against enemy counter-attack until they were relieved by larger follow-on ground forces. As the Dick Winters character famously said in Band of Brothers: "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded."
      My dear Montana, it is amazing how you manage to turn discussions on different subjects into your factually incorrect views and arguments about paratroopers time after time again. This thread is about commando's. It is still a pity that Sarah stifled our earlier discussion, you were about to lose it.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.