Artillery delay in retaliating needs fixed

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Artillery delay in retaliating needs fixed

When you attack another player that has artillery with your artillery, you can retreat right away not even giving the opposing player a chance to return fire. I have suffered relentless hours of this torture, and even if I tried to set alarms to wake up, I could rarely be on at the exact right time to retaliate. Day and night, In and out. It ruined that game for me. 48 hours nearly strait in/out each hour.

It can have great effect in team matches and alliance games on smaller maps with peace periods that allow the setup of static fronts and favors forts. Its all perfectly acceptable to do this now, but it can make the game less fun for both the attacker and the defender, especially if they are in widely different time zones or can only check in periodically or not at all during work.

The fix is easy, just have arty retaliate immediate when they are bombarded. Then at least we would have to go back to the method of drawing fire with a non-arty unit first, which is more fair and their is less incentive to overuse it. :P
    • If your artillery is within range of the enemy artillery, it will return defensive fire. There are no defensive timers. Defensive fire isn't as strong as art attack fire. If someone is hitting and running with artillery, you need to have other units in the stack to soak up damage. When feasible, you can also keep your artillery in fortifications when you are offline which reduces the effectiveness of his art fire.
      Granted, it is better to be the attacking art than the defending art.
      If you know how many art he is using, you may be able to counter with a larger stack of artillery and/or a stack with more hit points so that his art lose points faster than yours.
      Another thing you can do is have both art and sp art in your stack. With both types of art, it takes more hits before you lose an artillery type unit.
      Also you can have 8 art and 6 sp art in a stack and get maximum SBDE.
      At day 36, elite art and elite sp art become available. They have a range of 80 km versus 70 km for regular L5 art and L3 sp art. They can be great for doing your own fire and run since you are attacking.
      If the defending artillery is in one of its core provinces it will get a 15% defense bonus.
      Get local air superiority. Then recon to find out where his artillery is. If he leaves his artillery vulnerable to air attack, than destroy his art with int/tac bombers.
    • First of all, I am a student of the game, so I am always trying to observe mechanics, and seeking out those that know. Thanks for sharing your general artillery defense. This is not one of those times.

Try it and check the timers, If the attacker is on home territory or any terrain other than mountains, it can work like clockwork if you have OCD or just want to win badly. The fire timer for the defending arty will be 20-35 second behind, enough for the offender to fire and get off scott free. Next try, immediately turn around the second your arty fires. If you don't know this, you should consider playing against my alliance for some schooling.

While I appreciate your general ways to counter artillery, your post is basically pointless in the fact it does not address the fact you can fire arty of the same range against each other and the defended does not even get a shot off. The 10 player map with 2 teams and a 4 or 5 day peace period is pretty much decided before even TB level 2 make their mark and are usually in mop up mode by day 12.

Lastly my alliance is fine with using it because it is part of the game, although it is a big brain drain for both those that are using it and those that are attacked with it. If the mechanic were fixed, we wouldn't have to worry about it.
    • FinnDaddy wrote:

The fire timer for the defending arty will be 20-35 second behind, enough for the offender to fire and get off scott free. Next try, immediately turn around the second your arty fires.
      I agree it should be fixed.

Making players overuse this tactic by staying online and moving artillery for a bit so many times is just crazy.

Other solution might be, to make offensive artilery wait for example for a minute to set up and fire, which is realistic. Cause artillery needs setting up, before firing in real life, and defenders artillery is already set up.

So make longer time for attackers than for defenders, that would be more realistic :) :thumbup:

Then the defenders can abuse it ;) but it's realistic.

For some, more fair option would be to make the time equal for both, but it's less realistic then :P
    • Seroslav, I am sorry but that idea is simply idiotic. I am tired of seeing people saying "This unit is OP, nerf it because realism" No, Units need to be imbalanced right? Artillery should obliterate Militia, Infantry, and Armored Cars. Artillery should be able to severely damage Light Tanks. If there is an ability to move up units then move them back, fine, I don't have a problem with that. Defending artillery shouldn't be able to just pack up and leave, you want to make it realistic? That artillery would be dug in, meaning that artillery unit would have to pack up the artillery, pack up the shells, pack up everything and leave. However, Attack Artillery doesn't have to be that dug in, (neither does defending) just unhook the artillery pieces, get the range, load a shell, fire, then pack up and leave. Not a very long process, crews are trained to do that if they have to. I've seen an artillery demonstration before, they got that howitzer firing in about two minutes. They flew it in (Air Assault Arty btw), set it up, ranged, and fired. This is fine to me, just launch your own dang attacks, You can just get a couple of Tac. Bombers launch them, and destroy them. OR you could just launch a counter attack!

ALSO SEROSLAV PLEASE JUST MAKE A LARGE LIST OF IDEAS! YOU CAN DO IT IN SEVERAL GOOGLE DOCS AND PASTE THOSE LINKS IN THE SINGLE THREAD! YOU HAVE MADE 36 THREADS IN THE PAST 5 PAGES! PLEASE STOP! MAKE A COMPREHENSIVE LIST!!

"ANU! CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE!"

The post was edited 1 time, last by JCS Darragh ().

• JCS Darragh wrote:

ALSO SEROSLAV PLEASE JUST MAKE A LARGE LIST OF IDEAS! YOU CAN DO IT IN SEVERAL GOOGLE DOCS AND PASTE THOSE LINKS IN THE SINGLE THREAD! YOU HAVE MADE 36 THREADS IN THE PAST 5 PAGES! PLEASE STOP! MAKE A COMPREHENSIVE LIST!!
      :huh: This is off-topic.

Nobody thaught You how to use keybord yet?

This is not even my topic :D wrong address man... get a life...

Learn why forum is build up of threads and then come back to me with apologies.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Seroslav ().

• Seroslav, I have a life, it is a simple fact of just counting some threads. It is off topic, I just wanted to notify you. Also forums are made for everyone and when your threads fill up one subforum its a bit insane.
      "ANU! CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE!"
    • JCS Darragh wrote:

Also forums are made for everyone and when your threads fill up one subforum its a bit insane.
      Yeah, everyone include me too :saint:

In suggestions or bugs subforum is very good and proper to microthreading and especially there, so topics can be evaluated, labelled, implement or not, independently.

Those subforums are especially for that, that's why there are LABELs 8o

*learn what are labels and what are they for, before You continue