Profiling

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• freezy wrote:

Regarding 1): The "games joined" stats now also tracks unranked games, which it did not before. That's why that count went up for you. It has to track unranked games as well to match up with the new "scenario joined" statistics, where we cannot distinguish between ranked and unranked.
      @freezy:

1. Good guess, but I've never played an unranked game. Ever. The only possible explanation I have for this is that the system is now picking up 3 or 4 "country selection" games that I started to join, but then saw the bad choices of remaining available countries, and decided not to join. As I am sure you know, if you don't select a country within 90 minutes to 2 hours, the system kicks you out of the game.

freezy wrote:

Regarding 2): Sadly this is true and for now we cannot retroactively award those map wins. The stat that users won a game was tracked before the stat of the victory of those maps, that's why it is possible that the system knows about one but not the other. Our stats system will soon be revised once more, there might be a slim chance that this info can be recovered, but I would not count on it.
      2. Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. In the end analysis, it's not a big deal, and I know the staff have higher priorities.
    • Could we start getting updates on mobile app progress? I've talked to a few users where the app has not worked for them, i.e can't move troops, research, etc.

I think if we saw regular updates on fixes and patches, we could get more people using it, which should help you track down bugs more efficiently across multiple devices.
      Pax Romana Communications Officer

• MontanaBB wrote:

@freezy:
      1. Good guess, but I've never played an unranked game. Ever. The only possible explanation I have for this is that the system is now picking up 3 or 4 "country selection" games that I started to join, but then saw the bad choices of remaining available countries, and decided not to join. As I am sure you know, if you don't select a country within 90 minutes to 2 hours, the system kicks you out of the game.
      Well it wasn't a guess that this statistic now also counts joining of unranked games :) I am not entirely sure though how aborted games would count into that statistic, but I think you answered it yourself: They probably do as we can see from your calculation. The system very likely tracks only the joining information in the statistics system, not the info about being removed from a game. In the same vein a player that gets removed from a map by our support staff or anti cheat system would probably also not get one game subtracted in that statistic but keep the same number of game joins. It can only go up up up :D

StrangeTalent wrote:

Could we start getting updates on mobile app progress? I've talked to a few users where the app has not worked for them, i.e can't move troops, research, etc.

I think if we saw regular updates on fixes and patches, we could get more people using it, which should help you track down bugs more efficiently across multiple devices.
      We are actively developing the mobile app further and also regularly fix bugs. So if you find any issues, please report them via the usual channels to get them fixed. If they are critical problems (aka game unplayable) they will also be looked into with priority.
    • I actually have a question about CoW on Mobile, is the app released for iOS on the app store? I looked up Call of War 1942 but I got nothing. Well, I got a bunch of random games called "world war two metal tank battles extreme"
      "ANU! CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE!"
    • Last report was that IOS app was in development. No timetable for completion/release was indicated.

Using the mobile browser on IOS is quite good. For a few cases I could do stuff on IOS that the android app users could not, and the opposite was also true, but they seem to be very close in features now.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • freezy wrote:

Well it wasn't a guess that this statistic now also counts joining of unranked games I am not entirely sure though how aborted games would count into that statistic, but I think you answered it yourself: They probably do as we can see from your calculation. The system very likely tracks only the joining information in the statistics system, not the info about being removed from a game. In the same vein a player that gets removed from a map by our support staff or anti cheat system would probably also not get one game subtracted in that statistic but keep the same number of game joins. It can only go up up up
      It occurs to me that a long game which was ranked might not be counted if it isn't won by the end of the ranking period. Would this count against a person's total score of maps played but not against their total score of map victories if they win it after the ranking period ends?
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • Is the chart at the top cumulative of both PvP and PvAI? When I click on the PVP or the AI buttons the top charts do not change. Either a note saying chart is (PvP, PvAI, Cumulative) below the chart would be helpful, or charts that update depending on which button you push.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • Diabolical wrote:

freezy wrote:

Well it wasn't a guess that this statistic now also counts joining of unranked games I am not entirely sure though how aborted games would count into that statistic, but I think you answered it yourself: They probably do as we can see from your calculation. The system very likely tracks only the joining information in the statistics system, not the info about being removed from a game. In the same vein a player that gets removed from a map by our support staff or anti cheat system would probably also not get one game subtracted in that statistic but keep the same number of game joins. It can only go up up up
      It occurs to me that a long game which was ranked might not be counted if it isn't won by the end of the ranking period. Would this count against a person's total score of maps played but not against their total score of map victories if they win it after the ranking period ends?
      Not sure if ranking period affects map victories, it might only affect units/province stats. But maybe someone here knows. Anyway, maps joined are updated in the moment you join the game, doesn't matter if it's ranked or unranked or first ranked and then unranked.

Peter Mat wrote:

Is the chart at the top cumulative of both PvP and PvAI? When I click on the PVP or the AI buttons the top charts do not change. Either a note saying chart is (PvP, PvAI, Cumulative) below the chart would be helpful, or charts that update depending on which button you push.
      Currently the provinces captured/lost stat is vs. both players and AI, the units killed/lost stat is only vs players.

I agree that this is confusing and even inconsistent so we will probably change that and add it to the tooltip.
    • freezy wrote:

Currently the provinces captured/lost stat is vs. both players and AI, the units killed/lost stat is only vs players.
      Please include the overall kills/losses vs. AI, too. It's one of the few semi-objective measures of player skills we have had to evaluate unknown opponents, and there is no good reason for not including it after it has been a standard stats table number for the last 2+ years.
    • freezy wrote:

Not sure if ranking period affects map victories, it might only affect units/province stats. But maybe someone here knows. Anyway, maps joined are updated in the moment you join the game, doesn't matter if it's ranked or unranked or first ranked and then unranked.
      "Not sure..." ???

You aren't sure if "it might only affect .... "

Not to be confrontational, but aren't you the Game Designer (according to your forum title)? I mean, if I were the Game Designer, I'd have a complete understanding of how every aspect of the game is supposed to run, even if they don't operate according to specifications in which any non-conformities would be considered errors, bugs, or unimplemented features. Unless it's an aspect of the game that is something that hasn't been considered before [in which congratulations to myself are in order for bringing up something no one else noticed before], presumably, you should know whether the ranking period is supposed to affect map victories.

If a game element doesn't do what it's supposed to, then that would be a bug. If you aren't aware of all the aspects of the game as they are supposed to be, then are there other "Game Designers", besides yourself, at Bytro, such that any one of you is supposed to be able to recount at least some part of the game and in which via the collective knowledge of all of you, all aspects of the game are fully covered?

And, if there are other* Game Designers at Bytro who are responsible for aspects of this game that you might not be aware of, why are they not listed in the forum as Game Designers also? Shouldn't all those that are responsible for every aspect of Call of War be active members of the community forum?

(As opposed to the regular programmers, the Game Designer(s) should be responsible for the definitions of how all parts of the game are supposed to operate, even if other programmers share in some or all of the implementations of those definitions.)

*This forum page indicates that only you ( @freezy) are a Game Designer, but if there are any other Game Designers involved with Call of War, shouldn't they be in the forums also?
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3

The post was edited 3 times, last by Diabolical ().

• Diabolical, while freezy is a game designer he is certainly not the only one.

I doubt if all the other game designers, developers, programmers, and whatnot that work at Bytro's office in Germany have an interest in conversing with the users of the English forum. They do of course have actual work to do, so assignments are delegated, like any business would do.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • A question occurred last night in one of my games where I took out a large number of high level ships (level 6 subs, destroyers and cruisers). Do the military points account for the difficulty of the kill (ie. is a Level 6 sub worth more military points then killing a level 1 sub)?
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • In my 18 months playing CoW, this is the first update that is no improvement. I'm afraid I have to say so :-[
      Agreed, things look a bit more fancy. But that cannot make up for the disadvantages:

Debasement 1: When checking whether a player is a good one, it's essential to see how many units of which type he has killed and lost. Until now, you had that information well-arranged in a list. Now your eyes have to flick through columns AND lines; furthermore you even have to click once for each unit type to expand the actual figures. Seeing only the ratio often is not enough. That's horrible. Can they please at least be expanded by default (better: expand by default if either Kill or Lost is greater than 0 for the respective unit type)?

Debasement 2: As MontanaBB already correctly reported, the number of joined games is corrupted with games you did not really play.
      Perhaps you can show a second line below, saying "thereof ranked:", which would display the number of joined ranked games as before the update. Or (better) add that in brackets behind "Joined games".
      If that's not feasible, I'd prefer to revert the joined games counter to how it worked before - even though I understand that in seldom cases, the joined scenarios shown below might then sum up to a higher number than the joined games counter. Which would be illogical, of course, but the lesser evil.

Debasement 3: Maybe that doesn't happen in all browsers / with all screen resolutions (am using Chrome at 1920 x 1080), but I cannot see the bottom part of the screen. Stats for railguns and commandos are not visible. Perhaps add some blank space below, so one can scroll a bit further down.
    • Hans A. Pils wrote:

Killing a sub (of human or elite KI opponent) gives you always 6 military points - no matter what's the level of the sub. Same with other units.
      ... and in elite AI games there's even +10% boost for all points, whether if it's a human or elite AI opponent.

Hans A. Pils wrote:

things look a bit more fancy. But that cannot make up for the disadvantages: ...
      ... exactly my opinion

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • MontanaBB wrote:

freezy wrote:

Please include the overall kills/losses vs. AI, too. It's one of the few semi-objective measures of player skills we have had to evaluate unknown opponents, and there is no good reason for not including it after it has been a standard stats table number for the last 2+ years.
      What should be the standard statistics visible right away regarding those bars? While in the long run we might enable switching through different stats, as first step we will fix what is seen right away.

Diabolical wrote:

freezy wrote:

"Not sure..." ???
      You aren't sure if "it might only affect .... "

Not to be confrontational, but aren't you the Game Designer (according to your forum title)? I mean, if I were the Game Designer, I'd have a complete understanding of how every aspect of the game is supposed to run

In an ideal world, yes. Sadly running a live game/engine/servers for over a decade is very complex. There are so many layers built by so many people over the years (and many of those people left the company), that no one has a 100% complete picture of everything going on in our code. While I certainly know most of the mechanics and aspects of our games, I cannot know all of them, especially if they were designed so far in the past. I personally think that the rank period won't affect the tracking of victories, as there were enough examples of victories counting also in longer games. But since I did not design these ranking period mechanics I could not answer it with 100% certainty. This is an old system carried over from S1914, and for many of these old features there is no proper design document available of how it "should" work. Therefore for old features like this the general consensus is: If it is an old feature that was not touched in a long time, the way it should work is how it currently works. I could now annoy one of our devs to dig in the code to answer your question with maximum certainty, but that is taking valuable time away better spent elsewhere. That is why I first asked here if someone may know the answer already from experience.

And sorry if I am too honest and practical in my approach... :D Maybe some will appreciate it instead of getting only PR answers.

edit: Actually it was already answered in the forum:
      Ranking ends

Hans A. Pils wrote:

Debasement 3: Maybe that doesn't happen in all browsers / with all screen resolutions (am using Chrome at 1920 x 1080), but I cannot see the bottom part of the screen. Stats for railguns and commandos are not visible. Perhaps add some blank space below, so one can scroll a bit further down.
      Can you please submit a screenshot via bug report? In such big resolutions everything should be perfectly visible, as we also run those in the office.

And thanks for the feedback everyone, there will be some improvements coming in the future.
    • Hans A. Pils wrote:

In my 18 months playing CoW, this is the first update that is no improvement. I'm afraid I have to say so :-[
      Agreed, things look a bit more fancy. But that cannot make up for the disadvantages:

Debasement 1: When checking whether a player is a good one, it's essential to see how many units of which type he has killed and lost. Until now, you had that information well-arranged in a list. Now your eyes have to flick through columns AND lines; furthermore you even have to click once for each unit type to expand the actual figures. Seeing only the ratio often is not enough. That's horrible. Can they please at least be expanded by default (better: expand by default if either Kill or Lost is greater than 0 for the respective unit type)?

Debasement 2: As MontanaBB already correctly reported, the number of joined games is corrupted with games you did not really play.
      Perhaps you can show a second line below, saying "thereof ranked:", which would display the number of joined ranked games as before the update. Or (better) add that in brackets behind "Joined games".
      If that's not feasible, I'd prefer to revert the joined games counter to how it worked before - even though I understand that in seldom cases, the joined scenarios shown below might then sum up to a higher number than the joined games counter. Which would be illogical, of course, but the lesser evil.

Agree. before i join a game, i have to look carefully just to see the player's strength. Also, the players' list kinda blocks my view of individual players' stats. The version before didn't have this problem. Wonder if it can change back a little like Hans says?

P.S: I have the same name as you, Hans.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • freezy wrote:

What should be the standard statistics visible right away regarding those bars? While in the long run we might enable switching through different stats, as first step we will fix what is seen right away.
      @freezy: Please display the bar graphs for the player vs. human overall stats (with kills-to-losses ratio) and the player vs. AI overall stats (with K/L ratio) side by side. It appears that there is more than enough space if you condense the existing player vs. humans bar graph. I think that is the quick temporary solution, if not the ideal permanent solution.

BTW, what does "K/D ratio" mean? I get that it is supposed to be an abbreviation for the kills-to-losses ratio, but what is the "D"? Does the "D" mean something in German, and someone failed to translate the abbreviation? Because the meaning of "D" is not immediately obvious to this English language user . . . .