Just a thought

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I think what he's trying to say is that the fan base can become happier players more likely to spend money as well as increasing in the size of the fan base if Bytro throws more incentives at them. At least, I'm being generous in my interpretation of what appears to be a broken Google Translate message.

However, it isn't a great business model, the pay as you play model is quite sucky since it allows that which shall not be named to influence an otherwise-level playing field. The current revenue stream model is fickle (as the 30K game proves) and the only way to even hope to continue operating is by making the poor development team's workers slave day and night over a project that is always going to have "something" to improve.

By not returning to the pay-up-front model (which is what the gaming industry was founded upon and by which grew so powerfully in the past), games like Call of War can never really have any large releases. People can't be incentivised to want to play since they can't own a copy and the lack of AI development discourages many players since most human players tend to abandon matches early on.

The constant push and drive by Bytro to promote the current financial model using that which shall not be named limits them. The only side revenues are from sales of High Command membership (and similar for their other titles) and some ad revenue from the sidebar nuisance. But, for some reason, they don't even bother to promote tried and true revenue streams like from merchandising gamer gear outside of the game (e.g., T-shirts, mugs, keychains, and other gimmicks, etc.) and inside of the game (e.g., game skins, customizable maps, animated unit sprites, ingame music tracks, etc.)

It seems to me that Bytro and their sister companies are missing out on some surprisingly large potential sources of income by not being willing to embrace those other revenue streams. Now, if they were to divide Call of War's game engine into two parts -- a front end and back end -- in which the back end stays proprietary and controls the general mechanics of the game whilst the front end can be released to the modding community for customization, then Bytro could grow the game by leaps and bounds and let those fans who, like me, are programmers, be able to create potential content that can be utilized for premium value upgrades and the like. And a great incentive -- aside from the obvious increase in gaming experience -- would be free premium access to gamer gear, High Command, and other perks, in exchange for Bytro retaining legal control over the modding community's creativity.

I've pushed for these ideas before, but unfortunately, they never seem to get traction. But until Bytro sees the light and opens up the game for modding by the fan base, it will never ~NEVER~ achieve legendary status, no matter how long and how hardcore the dedicated fan base is.

Actually, I've been calling for releasing the code for modding for over two years now. It would seem that Bytro just isn't interested in this wonderful idea to grow the game into the stratosphere.
    It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3

The post was edited 3 times, last by Diabolical ().

• T-3PO wrote:

Makes sense. That would also fix part of the early dropout problem. They've started doing that with achievement rewards and I hope they continue that.
    The achievements are something, at least, but aside from the initial fanfare and hooplah of it, it doesn't amount to too much. The little Gold bonuses for completing achievements is a nice touch, but it still un-levels the playing field. I'd rather see free unlocked unit sprites be rewards for achievements....something that might be "worth" working towards rather than an "oh, I won something?" type of thing, in passing.

Maybe it's some kind of bias on my part, but I really REALLY wish they'd start developing in-game bling.....some you can buy and some you can earn. Also, some of the in-game bling could be comparative in that you could show off your "bling" in a match where your competitors get to see your special stuff but they don't have their own special stuff without being willing to pay for it (or earn it), thus incentivising their desire for more by seeing it in action in others' nations.

In other words, it's just like that saying about First Class seating in passenger airplanes, "First Class is there to remind you that you don't have First Class." Thus, the temptation factor would encourage users to buy more and that means Bytro could start to wean itself off of the unbalanced "premium" currency model and everyone could then feel good about tried and true concepts like title ownership and special unit sprites, again.
    It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
  • Diabolical wrote:

Maybe it's some kind of bias on my part, but I really REALLY wish they'd start developing in-game bling.....some you can buy and some you can earn. Also, some of the in-game bling could be comparative in that you could show off your "bling" in a match where your competitors get to see your special stuff but they don't have their own special stuff without being willing to pay for it (or earn it), thus incentivising their desire for more by seeing it in action in others' nations.
    I'd definitely like that.

Diabolical wrote:

In other words, it's just like that saying about First Class seating in passenger airplanes, "First Class is there to remind you that you don't have First Class." Thus, the temptation factor would encourage users to buy more and that means Bytro could start to wean itself off of the unbalanced "premium" currency model and everyone could then feel good about tried and true concepts like title ownership and special unit sprites, again.
    That's kind of like High Command, except high command isn't shown off enough. I feel like the country's flag should be outlined in gold. That would attract more attention. Second, many players I know and have talked to have said they won't buy high command because "it feels like cheating." And some feel like it's too expensive. Let me give you a comparison. In an app I have, three months of their premium service is 9 bucks, 6 months of high command is almost 30 bucks. So if 6 months of the other premium service is 18 dollars, that's about 12 bucks more. A large difference.
  • T-3PO wrote:

That's kind of like High Command, except high command isn't shown off enough. I feel like the country's flag should be outlined in gold. That would attract more attention. Second, many players I know and have talked to have said they won't buy high command because "it feels like cheating." And some feel like it's too expensive. Let me give you a comparison. In an app I have, three months of their premium service is 9 bucks, 6 months of high command is almost 30 bucks. So if 6 months of the other premium service is 18 dollars, that's about 12 bucks more. A large difference.
    I believe the premium account (High Command or HC) is a bit cheaper than that. And, there are deals where you can get more time for your dollar. However, that aside, unlike Gold, which has direct effect on the game, HC only helps you to automate tasks that, if you babysat your games, would have the same outcome. Creating a queue of units or buildings to be constructed is a convenience factor. Yet, I can achieve the same thing by diligence that an HC user might achieve without having to sit at the computer all day.

There are actually quite a few features of HC that can make managing the game much easier and simpler. But they don't change the actual mechanics of the game, only the mechanics of the interface. That said, in the early game, HC isn't too helpful since you haven't much that needs automating. Apart from the queues and fire control, HC is largely unnecessary for the first week or two. However, after some time has passed and you start to grow your empire into a massive thing, having the automations, the ability to narrow down the province list, and create rally points, etc., becomes a great tool to relieve yourself from the burden of constant micromanagement. Still, that advantage is not going to affect the game, internally. It simply frees you up from having to dedicate every waking moment to a match.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
  • T-3PO wrote:

Diabolical wrote:

I believe the premium account (High Command or HC) is a bit cheaper than that.
    Check the attachments.I do agree that HC is very helpful, but many HC users are also gold spammers
    What attachments?

R.I.P. Snickers <3
  • OK, I see what you are getting at. Well, the premium service might seem like a lot, but that is dependent on how useful you think it is. If it were cheaper, would the developers be as incentivised to upgrade it and add to it? If anything, I think they should add a lot more content and features to the premium account (so long as it doesn't interfere with the winnability of the game mechanics). And if they do add to the features, maybe the value would increase and they could actually charge more.

R.I.P. Snickers <3