How to promote more participation in PL?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to promote more participation in PL?

I was reviewing my profile stats and came up with an idea to promote more participation in the league, that should not require much programming. What if there was an achievement for PL games joined and a statistics line for PL in the Profile. After all a win or coalition victory here is a lot harder than achieving one on a regular game map. If nothing else this would draw in those players who are achievement driven.

I also thought it might be a good idea to create a separate thread for "how to promote PL" as I keep finding little tidbits of discussion in various PL threads but nothing in one central location.

Anyone else have ideas?
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • I believe that there should be several changes made to get more players involved – and these don’t need any programming adjustments… They just need a kind of “let’s just do it” approach…

1. Organisational re-shape – at the moment I believe PL looks a little bit unattractive… If we get any of the following done, it would make a real difference:

• Publish clear boundaries when the season starts and when it does finish – and where obviously we currently are – show in transparent way current standings and points in each round (not just a sum or another string of figures spread across several posts – just one clear view) and what's still left to go thru in the season – it may sound obvious, but for example I couldn’t find most of the above information – obviously I didn’t dig out thru dozens of posts on the forum, so I may have missed it – chances are that lots of people also do…
      • Many players would probably appreciate if the info was presented in more visually attractive way – even a screenshots from Excel spreadsheet tables – funky font style and some surrounding graphics which is easy to do would look much better than plain text on the forum.
      • Re-think about points system for matches – brains of many people associate high numbers with an extreme journey to go thru. If a winner of the map received 20 points, 2nd place – 16, 3rd – 12, etc it would not create a massive distances to make if someone decides to join in the middle of the season. When anyone looks at any figures – 50 points is easier to achieve than 500. This is just how human-beings think. In the second scenario people automatically think – “that’s too high barrier to jump thru – there is no point in joining”.
      • Celebrate successes achieved by participants on the forum – top 3 in the match will get a little bit of recognition – they are mentioned using different font style, there is a kind of Hall of Fame thread, people get a simple banner / a form of virtual medal to certify their success, etc.
      • Think about surrounding individual achievements – e.g. “Natural Born Winner” – for the participant with the highest number of victories in the season, “Iron Fist” – for the player who had the best ratio killed – lost against any human opponents on the map, “Lord Protector” – for the player who lost the lowest number of troops in the map, etc. (obviously players would need to submit their personal bests if they want to participate, which would engage them even more).

2. Prizes – at the moment I don’t believe these attract anyone to this event. Hence people do not come in here to get anything other than a little bit of fame and good level of entertainment.

Each community has a pool of prizes for tournaments, which are lasting for 6 months – this is agreed by Bytro – I don’t remember exact figures on top of my head (got the official brief somewhere – need to dig it out), but these would be absolutely enough to fund gold and HC prizes for individual winners of rounds (or even TOP3 of each map) and for TOP5 or even TOP10 of the season. More / higher prizes means much more participants.

3. Make few more efforts to promote this event within the society – e.g. not sure if you know that if you don’t tick “English” in the options of the CoW Forum, you don’t see the International Forum at all. You just see your local one for the language you selected. Hence almost nobody from non-English speaking society will see posts around PL – this is not just a language barrier – people just don’t see posts in the forum at all. Therefore if PL thread would be translated and posted in local versions of the forum it would automatically leverage the number of participants. The same also applies to in-game chat.

We have a good representation in Support Team from various communities. There are people who can help with distribution of info – e.g. I personally can do a translation to Polish and post info in our area. I am sure if they are asked for help – they won’t refuse.

Regards,
      L.
      .......................................................................................................................................................................
    • Here is my .02$ I come from S1914 and while I know that environment intimately I know jack about CoW.

If you were to set up a CoW noob game where an experienced PL member is paired up with a noob like me for instance I would be more than happy to partake.

I would not dare attempt the venture otherwise as I know I will be crushed easily in the first few days, without having the chance of learning much from my experience.

I believe a buddy system can help with new player retention as well as teach them good habits. Specially since its a complex environment and simple mistakes can have long term repercussions as I am finding out currently in my first CoW map.

We had a similar cadet pairing system back in my time in S1914 and it worked pretty well in my humble opinion.

Dont get me wrong I will eventually give the CoW PL a try but later rather then sooner as I know I still have a ton to learn and practice before going up against serious opposition, maybe in 6 months or so...

Hope this helps
      Cheers
    • My two bits.....and usually more.

I think that the PL might benefit from creating teams. If you are dedicated to your alliance, you might be dedicated to a coalition-sized team. Then you have to stay with that team throughout the season. But the season should only be 3 months if we do have teams. So, you have a group of people working together across three matches. Obviously, the higher-rated players would be asked to not pair together to give every team a fairly even chance as well as to encourage the more experienced players to mentor the lesser ones (and hopefully without just bossing them around).

The points system could be revamped, but another idea that might work...especially in conjunction with the team idea, is to integrate the point system with the "events" that are sponsored by the staff. If we can convince the senior staff to do this (at least for some events) then the numbers of the PL could swell into hundreds or even thousands. Make it a REAL promotion with REAL prizes like the events normally have. Maybe, if Bytro's dev team would be willing to go along with it, even the Ranking system could be modified to give a third alliance tier for the PL in addition to individual ranks and alliance ranks. Also, to endorse what @Lord said, maybe create some medals for PL achievements, including team achievements.

Finally, these ideas would make more sense to cross the languages, but only as separate divisions. Though there might be other language PL's out there (I think there's a Russian one, for example), having them unite would still need to be divided by playable language to avoid confusion. Not everybody speaks English.

I think the problem with the PL has been, in part, due to its small thinking. We've been "exclusive" to only a few players and paid homage to the "experts" without much regard to -- or recruitment of -- newer or lesser experienced players. While tournaments maybe shouldn't be in the hands of newbies, certainly we don't need only the top players. Anyone who's played CoW for more than a couple months should be quite capable of putting up a fight in this game.

I would like to see the PL scoring join with the Rankings as a major part of the community social interactivity of the game. I'm sure other people have some more and better ideas on how to make this happen and how to encourage Bytro to partner with the PL to make this happen.
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • More and more payers are leaving PL. In Pl, most players are coward s, because they do agreements to attack one player, as 3 vs 1 war, and some times 4 vs 1...so is not a really individual game.
      And you can't trust in anybody (with a few exceptions), because most players break NAPs.
      Is a wasting of time playing this league.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Maximilianvs ().

• K.Rokossovski wrote:

Maximilianvs wrote:

And you can't trust in anybody (with a few exceptions), because most players break NAPs.
      Heh... I wonder who gave that example...?
      The problem is not Naps braking (most of players broke Nap today at pl). The problem is that some players do informal coalitions, and they atack 3 vs 1. So this game is very dirty and unequal and I am really tired of this (as many others players are too)
    • Maximilianvs wrote:

K.Rokossovski wrote:

Maximilianvs wrote:

The problem is not Naps braking (most of players broke Nap today at pl). The problem is that some players do informal coalitions, and they atack 3 vs 1. So this game is very dirty and unequal and I am really tired of this (as many others players are too)
      Ditto.
      The lure of no gold is enticing (winning on skill. What would they think of next?), but the ganging up, wolf packing whatever you want to call it is a big deterrent for the casual player.
    • "In Pl, most players are coward s, because they do agreements to attack one player, as 3 vs 1 war, and some times 4 vs 1..."

My observation regards ganging up, is that players who have developed a reputation for aggressiveness in PL, will sometimes garner a gang up response, because their reputation in past months has their neighbors in fear. Sometimes it is in their favor as players will flock to them, becuase as their allie you can have a quiet month running to protect their open flank. (I refer to this as the fear/respect response).

I have also seen a gang up response when multiple people from the same alliance join in a given month. This creates an atmosphere of uncertently.

It all depends on who joined that month, their position on the map and what they the joiners want to accomplish that month. I play PL 4 to 5 months out of the year. There are certain players that if I am next to them I will seek alliance, if I am on the opposite side of the map I will try to encourage others to make their life difficult, all based on that players reputation as I perceive it. If none of those handful of players are on the map, then I would have no preconceived notions, and would likely feel lost.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • cerealnerd wrote:

Maximilianvs wrote:

K.Rokossovski wrote:

Maximilianvs wrote:

Ditto.The lure of no gold is enticing (winning on skill. What would they think of next?), but the ganging up, wolf packing whatever you want to call it is a big deterrent for the casual player.
      Actually, if I'm not mistaken, wolfpacking is specifically prohibited by Bytro's TOS and that is why they removed the power of the game admin in the larger maps as well as removed the ability to join a map after ten days...to prevent wolfpacking in established matches, later on. It's kind of a "throw the baby out with the bath" solution to a problem that makes late-games kinda boring when many players abandon a perfectly-good nation in the mid-game.

Peter Mat wrote:

My observation regards ganging up, is that players who have developed a reputation for aggressiveness in PL, will sometimes garner a gang up response, because their reputation in past months has their neighbors in fear. Sometimes it is in their favor as players will flock to them, becuase as their allie you can have a quiet month running to protect their open flank. (I refer to this as the fear/respect response).

Peter Mat wrote:

If none of those handful of players are on the map, then I would have no preconceived notions, and would likely feel lost.
      Yeah, I get that. And I have experienced first hand the result of having a reputation. Frankly, I've thought the PL should have a certain camaraderie that ought to transcend the individual matches. If one player or another gets a reputation for aggressiveness in-game, does that mean that they should be ganged up on? I would say no, though I understand the mentality behind that. But as long as people are cordial to each other, and so long as those of us who do play in the PL (or, as in my case, have in the past) remember to be civil, we can have good games and check those hard feelings at the door.

If we do play in the PL and do so for multiple matches, then it pays to remember that doing unto others what you would have them do unto you is the best policy....even if not everyone else follows that tried and true policy. As more players strive to adhere to that, the game will go smoother for all.
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • Wow, A diabolical post that I was able to read without needing a bathroom break in the middle of :D :D :D

Diabolical wrote:

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, wolfpacking is specifically prohibited by Bytro's TOS and that is why they removed the power of the game admin in the larger maps as well as removed the ability to join a map after ten days
      This is correct.

My view on Players League participation issues is that there is a core group of high level players who all play really well. You take a dozen of these players in any given month and throw in a couple of unprepared lower level players and they get squished, which is about right the first time you meet someone with that much experience.

This causes the newer players to realize that they don't yet have the skills or perhaps the necessary time to play at this level, so they don't come back.

Another issue that I see is the ever changing rules. When you have rules that prevent a player from using some of their favored strategies, that means they will choose not to join. Take the German league for example. They used to play on a 100 player map. They made a rule that you couldn't build any kind of bomber whatsoever and last time I checked they had 8 people signed up to play. Stupid rules simply discourage participation. Whenever someone loses they want to make a new rule, or a new game feature, or a new unit (paratrooper <X ) so that they can win. Keep the rules simple and easy to enforce is my opinion.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Senior Game Operator
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • I'll admit many of the rules attached to these leagues are a huge deterrent for me, I would consider this but with the current vote eliminating all coalitions, I see no reason to join. I like to work with others taking over the world over being alone in the fight. The more rules and restrictions you put on the players, the less likely they will want to join. Plus the veterans in the league might need to help out the beginners (idk what you're doing honestly) even if it's just advice as RoW allies. Maybe making some team games among the players mixed evenly with newcomers would help them learn the style of gameplay? I know I'm no excellent player, and I would appreciate somebody giving me some tips that I can use to give me a better edge over opponents on other maps as well.
      "Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak". ~ Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    • How about assigning coalition teams as players join? It can be based on player level and experience in order to balance the teams out. This way there isn't any "power coalitions" or "super coalitions" who will almost immediately wipe out lower level players trying to gain their experience. This way lower level and inexperienced players get a chance to learn and play longer into the games instead of being wiped out within the first week or so.
    • Sounds like a good idea to me, just make sure the teams are selected randomly. We don't want any behind the scenes shenanigans. Or maybe tier players into abt. 5 tiers depicted on war ranks such as: privates, sergeants, lieutenants, captains, and colonels and whether they are based on player level, pl rankings, or something else it's up to you guys. Even if this is just for an event open to the community outside of the player's league for now(no gold reward), that'd be fine with me.
      "Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak". ~ Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    • Lukenick wrote:

just make sure the teams are selected randomly.
      This is the primary challenge in this idea. A random selection might place two or three of the strongest players together, which would be called "unfair" or "rigged" and lead to additional whining and moaning.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Senior Game Operator
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<