How to beat mighty army

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Wanted to chime in and confuse you all even more :D

There are of course also hidden calculations and mechanics going on in combat. One of note is called "overwhelm factor", which simulates encircling enemies, but which to some point also counteracts SBDE. The overwhelm factor basically compares the total attack damage of the attacker with the total defense damage of the defender, and the higher the damage of the attacker compared to the defender, the closer his damage output comes the theoretical maximum of 100% (plus x-factor). The maximum is reached when the attacker's damage is 20 times higher than defender's damage. If the stack's damage does not exceed the damage value of the defender or is even smaller, it can get as low as 30% of the theoretical maximum (+x factor). That is also the reason why many players observe in normal fights that their units deal less damage per tick than what is shown in the unit details, because the values shown are the theoretical 100%, before x-factor.

If we put both overwhelm factor and SBDE together, the most efficient army (regarding damage output) would be a large stack consisting of many different unit types, to reach a high stack damage while not lowering SBDE. But one can have many different goals in combat. If the goal is to get over with combat as fast as possible, forming multiple stacks is the way to go, as attacks go out faster from both sides.

Oh and even all what I just wrote is only a simplification of how combat is actually calculated, and there are other factors as well. So please still don't take it literally :D
    • Very interesting to know!

Just to be clear, I seem to read in your post that this "overwhelm factor" is calculated WITHOUT SBDE, just the plain addition of combat damages... can you confirm that?
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • I sadly cannot confirm or deny that as further code digging would be required :D The devs are too busy for digging in combat code right now though, which is very complex and intertwined with many different things. Maybe you want to test it yourself if you are curious.

But I guess it is not too important, just know that it exists and how generally it is supposed to work. And as I said, please don't take my above explanation literally as it is only a simplification and there are still other factors involved. The whole way how hitpoints are deducted is for example different than one might expect. One probably expects it to work that way: Add damage values together, subtract SBDE/overwhelm factors, multiply with x-factor and then subtract that value from the enemy HP. But under the hood it is actually not really working that way and more complex, using chance at the core level of the calculations, with the different factors influencing this chance.

We may review the whole combat mechanic again at one point in the future, for proper documentation/fixing/improving, but at the moment that is not within our scope.
    • Very good))) So we have a combat engine that even the developers don't understand... a system that works but noone knows how exactly... we get some pointers and hints but the true mechanism remains a mystery... almost like real life!
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Freezy, when you say a small affect, do you have an idea of how small? In my experience, in terms of attack per unit, it seems that smaller stacks do better. For example 1 TAC or 1 ART will do more damge/unit than 5 TAC or 8 ART. Is there another thing going on for smaller stacks that outweights this "overwhelm" mechanic?

The post was edited 2 times, last by DxC ().