Share map a good idea?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Share map a good idea?

Almost all the main players on this 100 person map I’m playing are sharing map with lots of other people. I have one request for share map I’m currently ignoring. Does it seem like a good idea to share map with people you might be at war with later, or maybe I’m being to paranoid? Also, if you share map does it share just your map or your whole coalitions map?
    • You are not paranoid. When you share map, the person you share with will know your stengths and weaknesses. They'll know where your forces are, and aren't, and where you are moving them. Do you really want to give someone who may become your foe that much information? Diplomacy is about building relationships and someone who offers share map through a trade without any or much conversation is like someone who gives it away on the first date ... and they're probably not interested in anything long term. Allowing share map beyond a trusted ally is seting yourself up for a backstabbing.

Share map will only share your map and not your coalition partners. But the person you share map with will see any of your coalition partners' forces that are in your territory which can harm your coalition partner. Share map also gives RoW so they can attack coalition partners through your territory.
    • You are being perfectly normal. I only share map with allies I have had a strong trade relationship with and trust very much. If I am planning to attack the person later or are worried about their loyalty, I do not give it to them. And, I usually on give share map FOR share map, so I'll know if they're going to attack me - either by them shutting it off abruptly or them moving many troops to their potential border with me. I also reserve it for coalition members and a few else. If someone asks you for it quickly, be wary. It's better to establish it slowly in a trusting relation.
    • Guioco wrote:

You are not paranoid. When you share map, the person you share with will know your stengths and weaknesses. They'll know where your forces are, and aren't, and where you are moving them. Do you really want to give someone who may become your foe that much information? Diplomacy is about building relationships and someone who offers share map through a trade without any or much conversation is like someone who gives it away on the first date ... and they're probably not interested in anything long term. Allowing share map beyond a trusted ally is seting yourself up for a backstabbing.

Share map will only share your map and not your coalition partners. But the person you share map with will see any of your coalition partners' forces that are in your territory which can harm your coalition partner. Share map also gives RoW so they can attack coalition partners through your territory.

Absolutely right.
      I've just been backstabbed and it hurts like hell
    • Dakotacowboy wrote:

Does it seem like a good idea to share map with people you might be at war with later, or maybe I’m being to paranoid?
      You are not being too paranoid. In general, players who send you Share Map requests out of the blue without having joined your coalition or had a fairly detailed conversation first tend to be manipulators who are trying to get something out of another player in the hopes of gaining an advantage. Some players will share map with you and then reset it to normal peace a day or two later, and you will not even notice.

As a rule, I only share map with members of my own coalition, and noone else.