damage to aircraft in flight

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• damage to aircraft in flight

So recently I played against a player who got angry because I wiped him out and conquered his core region, so he spammed a whole lot of rockets to fire at my airbases. I always thought that if my aircraft were flying out of an airbase and the base itself got hit by a rocket or an enemy air attack, the aircraft would also take some damage. However, although the base itself got destroyed (or rather, was just rendered unusable - it was a lvl 1 air base and took more than half damage) the aircraft flying out of it were unscathed. Did not even sustain any damage.

Is this a bug of some sort? Because I remember playing some time back and my aircraft did get damaged when an opponent attacked the base with a large group of tac bombers. Or have the rules changed?
    • From what your explaining MartinB the rocket attack was on a stand alone air base
      and the splash affect if any from the rocket,rockets attack radius would only have been
      for that second they hit.
      If it was a city then one could probably expect a little splash damage from rockets
      to air craft off the ground and leaving but still within the city radius.
      Depending on the game mechanics off course,im just trying to put logic to your scenario.
    • MartinB wrote:

my aircraft did get damaged when an opponent attacked the base with a large group of tac bombers
      Well you can't compare rockets and tac bombers.

Rockets have a very small area of effect (AoE) Usually we say that conventional rockets have no blast radius, although I believe that they may damage units within a kilometer or so of their impact point. (Atomic rockets have a 50 km blast radius, but that is a whole other kettle of fish)

Tactical bombers have a fairly large "secondary" area. You probably notice when directly attacking a target that it is not one bomb, but several bombs fall from the plane. Some hit your target, and some hit other units or buildings in the general area. I believe that radius might be 5 Km, but I don't know exactly.

So in your scenario that you remember I expect that the planes that were damaged were still within five Km of the airbase, so were hit by the bombers. In order to hit the same planes with rockets after they left the airbase but before they got one kilometer away would require some very precise timing.

Alternately is it possible that the bombers were patrolling over the airbase in your memory, instead of direct attacking? If your planes were flying through the patrol zone during the "tick" then they would have taken damage.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Thanks for the clarification guys.

The incident where my flying aircraft were damaged by tac bombers was not when they were patrolling, but doing a direct attack on my base. I think I tried to get my planes away to a rearward base quickly, but guess they were still within that five km radius when the enemy bombers hit. So I guess using rockets to hit a base in order to try and damage the aircraft in it is pointless.

Oddly enough, he did catch one fighter that was on the ground and refueling (he spammed loads of rockets and shot them at every base in sight) but that one did not take any damage either (I had a few militia there though and lost one of them).