Gold Confirmation Suggestion

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Gold Confirmation Suggestion

Should there be a confirmation button for ALL Gold purchases? 26

The result is only visible to the participants.

OK, so I'm sure people have mentioned this in lots of other places, but maybe only in passing. So, let me make it an official suggestion via a request by the community. In other words, let's have a poll!

Everyone knows that feeling....when you accidentally click on a Gold button that accelerates production on something that you were actually trying to cancel, or that time you were opening the espionage screen only to impatiently instinctive-click a second time because of an Internet slow-down only to discover that the memory cache saved that second click and "acted" on it over a Gold espionage button. Worse, remember that time where you -- like me -- accidentally used Gold in a Players League match only to realize that, not only did you violate one of the primary rules of the PL, but you did so quite innocently and now you are facing a stiff (though seemingly fair) penalty....whose purpose is to serve as a deterrent even though deterrents never work against accidents, only against deliberate actions.

Well, OK. We've all been there....some of us more often than others. But not all of us have bottomless wallets and can't just shrug it off as "no big deal". It is a big deal when the only Gold you have is your precious winnings and you just squandered some of them on what amounts to nothing when it does something that goes against your own strategy, anyway. It is a big deal when you talked yourself into spending your last twenty bucks on a Gold package while vowing to live on Ramen for a while only to see that precious Gold get used to "Reveal all Armies" of your ally with whom you've already got a Shared Map agreement.

It is a big deal. Everyone knows it. Nobody denies it.....well, maybe some will.

And that's why I'm making this poll. So, let's all let the good folks at Bytro know (in as polite a way as possible) what we'd like to see concerning having a confirmation button for any Gold purchases.
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • T-3PO wrote:

Btw, what is the penalty for using gold in a player's league match?
      VERY BIG, just so you are aware....VERY BIG.

Let's just say, for my last infraction, I am lucky to still be IN the PL.

And that one was accidental!

Oh, don't use Gold in the PL. That's like our cardinal rule.
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3

The post was edited 1 time, last by Diabolical ().

• Personally I am going to go middle of the road on this. If I am spending gold to speed something up I don't want a stupid extra step each time.

So if this was done it would have to be a setting: gold use confirmation ON or OFF
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • More people need to participate in the poll. However, as it stands, to date, the results are overwhelmingly in favor of having a confirmation button for all Gold expenditures.

The results thus far, for a confirmation button for all Gold expenditures:

45% Very in favor of
      27% In favor of
      18% Undecided
      9% Opposed to
      0% Very opposed to

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

Personally I am going to go middle of the road on this. If I am spending gold to speed something up I don't want a stupid extra step each time.
      Even if I spent Gold a lot, why would ONE extra step be a big deal. All it would say is "You're about to spend Gold, would you like to proceed," with an OK or CANCEL button. Not that hard...
    • T-3PO wrote:

VorlonFCW wrote:

Personally I am going to go middle of the road on this. If I am spending gold to speed something up I don't want a stupid extra step each time.
      Even if I spent Gold a lot, why would ONE extra step be a big deal. All it would say is "You're about to spend Gold, would you like to proceed," with an OK or CANCEL button. Not that hard...
      Actually, some people got annoyed with Microsoft, for instance, which, early on, made a confirmation button for file deletion in Windows. Yet, despite some people's annoyance at this and similar confirmations, I know that most people using a Windows computer can attest to their appreciation as to how this save them. And, even despite the confirmation, some folks -- myself included -- still made a mistake and chose to confirm their deletion and later regretted it. Fortunately, undelete programs often could rescue them (even if the trash had been "emptied").

Now, I'm not saying we need an "Undo" command for Gold expenditures in Call of War (though it might be less intrusive* than a confirmation button), but with a confirmation button, we can eliminate most instances of accidental Gold usage and make it so that anyone who does spend Gold will be rest assured it will only happen when they actually choose it and not when they're fingers have a flub or their Internet connection gets sticky while they're doing rapid-fire tasks with the game UI.

(* Though an Undo command would be less intrusive than a confirmation button, it might be a headache for the developers to implement since it would involve multiple changes to account status, in-game play, server state, and so forth. Thus I wouldn't dream of requesting an Undo command without knowing that the changes involved won't cause a whole can of worms to be opened up inside a bag which has been emptied of its cats when Pandora's Box exploded.)

R.I.P. Snickers <3

The post was edited 1 time, last by Diabolical ().

• T-3PO wrote:

Yeah, but I mean, it's honestly not hard to press OK or CANCEL
      Gold = Time
      If I am spending gold I don't want it to take time, as I am using gold to reduce the time needed for something.

It is also honestly not that hard to avoid spending gold accidentally. I have done it once in the past year.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW

• VorlonFCW wrote:

It is also honestly not that hard to avoid spending gold accidentally. I have done it once in the past year.
      I also think it has a lot to do with sensitivity of the device you are using. I have only infrequently had accidental gold use problems on my desktop. On the other hand, I have had frequent accidental gold use problems on both of my last two laptops -- one a Dell, and the other a Toshiba. I refuse to play the game on my mobile phone because of the imprecision of the format.

And, yes, accidental gold use is a real problem. It is also indicative of a very poor attitude among Bytro Labs management regarding customer service that they have steadfastly refused to address this problem. In the business organization for which I work, I have often been asked to resolve customer service claims varying from a few hundred dollars to tens of thousands for products that carry prices of high six figures to high seven figures. I would fire anyone in my chain of command who espoused the poor attitudes regarding customer service on display by various Bytro Labs personnel here in the forum. You're only hurting your own business. It's foolish, bordering on suicidally stupid.
    • MontanaBB wrote:

In the business organization for which I work, I have often been asked to resolve customer service claims varying from a few hundred dollars to tens of thousands for products that carry prices of high six figures to high seven figures. I would fire anyone in my chain of command who espoused the poor attitudes regarding customer service on display by various Bytro Labs personnel here in the forum. You're only hurting your own business. It's foolish, bordering on suicidally stupid.
      Agreed, honestly, it's just hurting them. Even if a few people buy gold to replace the gold they accidentally lost, that's a small fraction of the community. It's hurting their public view.
    • T-3PO wrote:

So, 3 extra seconds will completely destroy your speed?

I have been in battles where 3 seconds was the difference between victory and defeat, so yes.

VorlonFCW

• VorlonFCW wrote:

I have been in battles where 3 seconds was the difference between victory and defeat, so yes.
      Sure, I've been in some damn close run things, too, where a few seconds of micro management made the difference in a battle outcome, usually some form of air battle or artillery/naval gunfire shoot-and-scoot scenario, or moving a unit just beyond the blast radius of an incoming rocket.

In 21 games, 12 victories and 7 second-place finishes, I have never yet encountered a scenario where a 3-second delay in hitting the gold spending button would have made any difference whatsoever.

It is only the well-earned respect I have for Vorlon which keeps me from throwing a yellow flag and calling a 15-yard penalty for unnecessary/unbelievable bulls**t.
    • Most common need is rockets, where a precisely timed rocket barrage can catch refueling planes. One click to finish the rocket in production and then launch with precise timing. In a speed round those 3 seconds mean more like 15 seconds of game time, and when refueling at a level 3 airbase only takes a minute and a quarter at 4x every second is crucial. One rocket can turn the tide of a war when you are outgunned in this way.

Another case that comes to mind is recently someone wanted revenge on me for defeating them in another game, and instantly created 50 planes plus 30 or so ground troops on my doorstep. This was on day 7, again of a speed round. I was caught moving the wrong direction with my advance forces, and my puny home guard forces were not up to the task. The only way to deal with planes in that quantity before level 2 rockets come into play is with at least that many planes of your own, and every air combat trick gleaned from the forum. For speedup that is at least 3 gold clicks per plane, plus if you need to force buy resources thats another click. By the time I spent 10 minutes clicking all your gold confirmation buttons I would have lost more forces, that would also have to be replaced.

So if you want a gold confirmation button it needs to be like the safety on a gun. I don't want to have to click the safety off for every round of ammunition if the situation calls for a full magazine of ammo.

VorlonFCW

• VorlonFCW wrote:

Gold = Time
      If I am spending gold I don't want it to take time, as I am using gold to reduce the time needed for something.
      You're talking seconds compared to minutes, hours, or even days.

That's apples vs. orangutans. There's just no real comparison.

VorlonFCW wrote:

Hm....I think I've done so at least half a dozen times in the past 12 months. I've even been kicked out of one Players League match and been "punished" in 2 others in that same time for accidental Gold usage where it's forbidden.

And the most frequent culprit for me is a toss-up between the accidental press on any of the 6 Gold super spy buttons (from either a delayed espionage window opening or by sticking when I'm trying to move the window aside) and from "missing" the city info's morale details by accidentally clicking on the Gold button next to the "i" button. Also, the latter problem can happen for lots of different accidental Gold button presses because of sticking computer mice or even a delayed mouse buffer due to heavy demands on the system.

VorlonFCW wrote:

T-3PO wrote:

So, 3 extra seconds will completely destroy your speed?
      That's such a rare and extremely unlikely occurrence as to be irrelevant to the discussion. A 3 second "difference" is negated by typical delays in Internet traffic. Your 3 seconds was already 5 seconds too late because someone else did another command 2 seconds after you pressed your button but the Internet delay on your end made the server receive the other person's command request sooner and his computer happens to have a different timestamp than yours.

VorlonFCW wrote:

For speedup that is at least 3 gold clicks per plane
      Not if you max out your Factory and build a barracks, then you can do it in 1 Gold click per plane. I just did a bunch of them, yesterday. (Yes, even I have used Gold deliberately "ONE TIME" against another player who really made me upset yesterday (the first time I've ever spent my entire winnings in anger). Ironically, that airbase sabotage trick I mentioned in an earlier post would have saved me most of my wasted Gold, but I was so angry that my bloodshot eyes couldn't see into my memory to gauge that better strategy. I wanted Fighters and I wanted them "now".

Oh, and they were all shot down, anyway, lol. But I built about 3 dozen Fighters at 2 clicks apiece....1 for the plane and 1 for the resource buy (each). And that could have been narrowed down even further if I had just bought the resources needed in a group of large purchases from the Market's Gold buttons.

VorlonFCW wrote:

By the time I spent 10 minutes clicking all your gold confirmation buttons I would have lost more forces, that would also have to be replaced.
      Hm...I built 3 dozen Fighters at a province that started with a broken level 2 factory and a broken level 1 airbase. And I did it all in about a minute.

I WISH that I had a Gold confirmation button that would have broken me out of my angry revery and maybe....just maybe....I might have reasoned with myself and remembered the airbase trick before spending nearly 80k Gold on Fighter development. But, don't go thinking that Bytro needs their users to do this so as to be "forced" to buy more Gold. Like many, if not most, players, I don't buy Gold. I used up my winnings. And I'm not going to replace that Gold by spending real money on it. I don't even like premium points in multiplayer games and, even if I could afford to pay for this game, I would only want to buy High Command and I'd be plenty willing to buy up merchandise, both in-game and real-world. THAT is where the money is, in my opinion.

VorlonFCW wrote:

So if you want a gold confirmation button it needs to be like the safety on a gun. I don't want to have to click the safety off for every round of ammunition if the situation calls for a full magazine of ammo.
      Ironically, you and I actually agree here. But not like you think. I have mentioned in the past how it would make more sense to have a system option where you can turn on/off the "Gold Confirmation" box such that it only appears on certain types of Gold spending, or in an all or nothing approach. So, if you don't want a confirmation button, for now, then you deselect the Gold Confirmation setting in the main window.

Later on, maybe your Internet connection is being slowed at work by heavy traffic and that's expected to continue for several weeks during some city-sponsored art festival which is occuring at the community park next door to your business (I know, lame example), and so hundreds of hippies are logging in on your company's free Wi-Fi -- far more than the typical demand during the rest of the year. So, for the time being, you might switch on the Gold Confirmation setting out of fear of constantly wasting Gold on accidental lag-presses on Gold due to the slowed connection that all those hippie podcast uploads are causing. Then, after the festival, you turn back off, the setting.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

Most common need is rockets, where a precisely timed rocket barrage can catch refueling planes. One click to finish the rocket in production and then launch with precise timing.
      I almost forgot....and this struck me as odd....though not in the timing alignment needs -- I get that. But in the "how do you know how long it takes for a rocket to reach the target" need. In other words, how do you know -- down to the second -- how long it will take a rocket to reach it's target when you can't just hover over the target to get a time estimate. And I don't know why this is, anyway. Because every other unit type gives an estimated time of arrival if the targeting unit was pre-selected before dragging it to the target (dragging a non-selected unit doesn't always bring up the unit information window on the bottom of the screen...something that I find quite annoying, btw).

But, you can never know how long it takes a rocket to reach its target beforehand, even with knowing it's speed, because you can't get a precise distance to target. There's no distance indicator in this game. And there really should be. Why the dev team hasn't put in a simple distance-between-two-points feature is beyond me and it would be sooooo simple to implement.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • Updated Poll Results. Thus far....

For a confirmation button on all Gold expenditures:

46% Very in favor of
      31% In favor of
      15% Undecided
      8% Opposed to
      0% Very opposed to

By the way, to the staff members, it is perfectly valid for you to participate in this poll. You are volunteer staff members, but you are also a part of our shared gaming community and your voice should count equally with the rest of us. There is no reason to abstain. I think @VorlonFCW, for example, who has been posting in this thread quite a bit, has yet to vote, so I suspect he is thinking it not appropriate to vote. Yet, since he seems to be opposed to my proposal, he should vote in the negative and be counted fairly among the detractors whose voices are totally valid, here.

R.I.P. Snickers <3