What we think of gold

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

  • What we think of gold

    Recently, in a game, I'm doing pretty well until a guy attacks me and his interceptor suddenly improves two levels while his tac bomber increases by one level. It happened only in minutes, but it already let me think about the fairness of using gold. Could using gold be capped to some point? I respect that CoW uses the gold to earn money, but for players like me who are just young and don't have money to buy gold, could there be a cap in goldspending to make the game fairer? I use gold sometimes, but I never buy gold. I only use what I already earned.
    "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

    "Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
  • What I mean is no gold cap in buying, but using, over a period of time, like one day or one week. It makes the game fairer.
    "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

    "Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
  • Little Racoon wrote:

    Recently, in a game, I'm doing pretty well until a guy attacks me and his interceptor suddenly improves two levels while his tac bomber increases by one level. It happened only in minutes, but it already let me think about the fairness of using gold. Could using gold be capped to some point?
    One of the MOST satisfying things in this game is taking on a gold user and beating the bugger into the ground. Remember that the kind of player who uses gold in the game is almost always going to be someone who is not very good in the first place. It can be alarming to see these things happen in game, but if you fight back and use your intelligence you can usually beat the gold spammers.

    Also, remember that a unit improving two levels does not necessarily mean the player has used gold. If you trade with an ally and buy his units, you can sometimes have units that are one or two levels below your own. So, for example, I can have level 3 cruisers, but if I buy a Level 1 Cruiser off an ally, that cruiser will still be Level 1. Until I level up my cruisers, at which time ALL my cruisers will level up to 4, including the level 1 cruiser that I bought. So it might look like my cruiser levelled up 3 levels, but that is because I just completed a level up from 3 to 4.
  • MartinB wrote:

    Also, remember that a unit improving two levels does not necessarily mean the player has used gold. If you trade with an ally and buy his units, you can sometimes have units that are one or two levels below your own. So, for example, I can have level 3 cruisers, but if I buy a Level 1 Cruiser off an ally, that cruiser will still be Level 1. Until I level up my cruisers, at which time ALL my cruisers will level up to 4, including the level 1 cruiser that I bought. So it might look like my cruiser levelled up 3 levels, but that is because I just completed a level up from 3 to 4.
    Oh, that explains the interceptor and tac bomber problem, but I was astonished about his unit producing speed.

    Quasi-duck wrote:

    Being fair isn't what keeps Bytro out of debt though, people spending gold does.
    And for a response of this one, it's just a cap in using. Bytro earns money by people BUYING the gold, so whether they use it a lot or not, it doesn't really affect it. A gold usage cap could actually help the gold users, since it makes them make better choices about using the gold.
    "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

    "Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
  • Little Racoon wrote:

    Oh, that explains the interceptor and tac bomber problem, but I was astonished about his unit producing speed.
    If he was producing units very rapidly then that is a pretty good indication that he was indeed using gold, I don't think there is any other game mechanism to explain that.

    Having said that, there is really nothing quite as satisfying as beating a gold spammer. In my current game I was up against a guy who used gold to build a whole bunch of rockets and tried to use them to kill off my air force. Quite challenging having to keep moving your planes from one base to another to keep them from getting caught on the ground, but very satisfying when he ran out of rockets and all he had to show for it was a few destroyed AA guns and garrisoning militia.
  • Little Racoon wrote:

    And for a response of this one, it's just a cap in using. Bytro earns money by people BUYING the gold, so whether they use it a lot or not, it doesn't really affect it. A gold usage cap could actually help the gold users, since it makes them make better choices about using the gold.
    Why would they buy it if they can't use it lol. How much gold do you buy?
    Forum Gang Commissar



    I changed it for you Dia <3
  • Money makes the world go round, or in this case Call of War servers open. I doubt that Bytro will add a gold cap, if anything they want you to spend more so they have more cash. And there is kind of a cap in how much real money are you willing to pour in a match to win

    Forum Gang Divine Entity :00000156:

    Taking over the Forum 1 post at a time.
  • Quasi-duck wrote:

    That is all well and good but these gold spammers keep the lights on in Bytro HQ. So this always will be a no from Bytro, unless of course we all start buying gold. Which isn't going to happen.
    NOT TRUE...most people don't buy gold unless there is a promotion or sale. My current opponent received a 1000% promotion bonus for a purchase. So for $5 (which would not pay for anyone's hourly rate or even an hour of utilities), he received 130,000 gold. Think about that...he can be an awful player but could blow all that in a couple of games and dominate even a coalition of skilled players.

    The other fairness issue is that EVERYONE should get the 1000% gold promotion bonus...then at least we can compete in this PAY TO WIN GAME. For me to compete with that new/rookie player, i would need to spend $30 for 100,000 gold...no thanks.
  • enough is enough

    there needs to be a limit on the amount of gold a player can use in a single match


    look at the results so far in game #2356745 Free for All Event

    tinyurl.com/ybsomwvf

    one would think i am winning by a lot but NO -- i am getting my butt kicked because every time I begin to turn the tide Tanganyika (whoever he is -- anonymous match) spends another 50-100K of gold

    now he is creating massive numbers of rockets

    game used to be fun

    if something does not change soon; i will say goodbye
  • Brawntar wrote:

    enough is enough

    there needs to be a limit on the amount of gold a player can use in a single match


    look at the results so far in game #2356745 Free for All Event

    tinyurl.com/ybsomwvf

    one would think i am winning by a lot but NO -- i am getting my butt kicked because every time I begin to turn the tide Tanganyika (whoever he is -- anonymous match) spends another 50-100K of gold

    now he is creating massive numbers of rockets

    game used to be fun

    if something does not change soon; i will say goodbye
    I think the only way to deal with gold is to accept it philosophically. I have had really annoying experiences, where you work hard to pull off some tactical surprise against someone, and lo and behold, he suddenly has three nuclear bombers appear out of thin air that proceed to blast your cities.

    So just grin and bear it, concede the game and move along. Just console yourself with the thought that these guys are financing the game that you and I are playing and enjoying for free, and let them have their fun spending that gold to smash you.

    Tell yourself that to win against you using a hundred thousand gold pieces is like beating you in a fencing match, in which you fight without a weapon, and move along.
  • MartinB wrote:

    Tell yourself that to win against you using a hundred thousand gold pieces is like beating you in a fencing match, in which you fight without a weapon, and move along.
    Lol weren't you saying these guys are noobs who can't play so you always beat them? I digress.
    Forum Gang Commissar



    I changed it for you Dia <3
  • MartinB wrote:

    I think the only way to deal with gold is to accept it philosophically. I have had really annoying experiences, where you work hard to pull off some tactical surprise against someone, and lo and behold, he suddenly has three nuclear bombers appear out of thin air that proceed to blast your cities.
    So just grin and bear it, concede the game and move along. Just console yourself with the thought that these guys are financing the game that you and I are playing and enjoying for free, and let them have their fun spending that gold to smash you.

    Tell yourself that to win against you using a hundred thousand gold pieces is like beating you in a fencing match, in which you fight without a weapon, and move along.
    I think its funny honestly, that someone is willing to blow so much money to win a match on a web browser game.


    Ofc I am not against gold, gotta pay the bills. Though I find that for 1750 gold you can see an entire countries army for a day is a little op. Seeing where all the troops are can be a huge advantage, especially against submarines.

    Forum Gang Divine Entity :00000156:

    Taking over the Forum 1 post at a time.
  • Quasi-duck wrote:

    MartinB wrote:

    Tell yourself that to win against you using a hundred thousand gold pieces is like beating you in a fencing match, in which you fight without a weapon, and move along.
    Lol weren't you saying these guys are noobs who can't play so you always beat them? I digress.
    You obviously have an attention span problem. I never said I always beat them, I only said that when you beat one it is very satisfying. Whether or not you can beat a gold user depends on how much gold he is using, obviously, and it looks like the guy Brawntar is playing against is spending soo much that it is probably pointless going on in that situation.

    Also try reading my post carefully. I said that I pulled off a tactical suprise and the other guy suddenly had three new nuclear bombers. I still destroyed his base and two of those three bombers, and conquered the island the base was on. Which also means I got the nuclear reactor he had built on that island ^^
  • MartinB wrote:

    Quasi-duck wrote:

    MartinB wrote:

    I still destroyed his base and two of those three bombers, and conquered the island the base was on. Which also means I got the nuclear reactor he had built on that island
    You didn't say this part you just complained "uh uh a gold user nuked me".
    That is not what I said, I said I had an annoying experience.
    Reported, by the way.
    Lol why are you spamming staff with that stuff? I never reported you. Shame.
    Forum Gang Commissar



    I changed it for you Dia <3