Using a Strategic Reserve or "Ou est la Masse de Manouevre?"

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Using a Strategic Reserve or "Ou est la Masse de Manouevre?"

So, this is one more thing that I wanted to share here, because there have been incessant complaints about units taking too long to heal and calls for a building of some sort to be added that can be used to heal damaged units. Whatever your stance on this issue (and I want to state for the record that I oppose any such change because I think that the game as it is provides an excellent simulation of the limitations faced during the war), the fact is that damaged units do take an annoyingly long time to heal up to full strength in this game. The point of this post is just to share my own method for dealing with this so-called ‘problem’ with other players, and I hope that those who advocate a magic healing building for the game will take this in the right spirit.

It is said that when the Germans had broken through in the Ardennes in 1940, Churchill attended a meeting of the French High Command at which he asked the French commander-in-chief, General Gamelin, where his strategic reserve (la masse de manoeuvre) was stationed, to which Gamelin said “Aucune” (There is none), and the story goes that Churchill knew at this point that France was lost. The point of course is that if Gamelin had had a handful of infantry divisions available, they could conceivably have stopped the German armoured columns that were driving to the Channel coast.

So, my method for dealing with the ‘problem’ of damaged units taking too long to heal is to always play with a strategic reserve. In practice, this is a very simple method, of keeping a few units of the same type as those you have in the frontline in a rear area. I typically use armoured ‘divisions’ made up of two tanks, one motorised infantry and an armoured car, so if I am conducting an offensive with a few of these, I will almost always try to hold one such ‘division’ further back (unless I know for sure that I am beating up on a noob player, in which case I figure I can afford to be cocky). The benefits of doing this are

• If an enemy force counter-attacks and threatens my rear (and in the early game, my core), I will (unlike Gamelin) have something available to throw in against them.
      • If my units in the frontline take heavy damage and start turning an unhealthy colour, then I can rotate these back to the reserve area, and move the fresh troops that are in reserve to the front.

So, if I am launching an invasion of the Belgian Congo to finish off an active opponent, I make it a point to send my reserves off shortly after sending my invasion forces and hold them in a staging area so that, if I need replacements, I will not have to march them all the way from my core area in Europe, but can move them to the frontline within a few hours.

The limitation imposed by this playing style, of course, is that your resources in this game are never going to be enough to allow you to do this simultaneously on multiple fronts, but this is just par for the course. In practice, you will be forced to make a choice. For example, you can either launch your African invasion and finish off your opponent, or you can grab more land in Europe, but you cannot do both at the same time, if you want to have sufficient reserves for either campaign.

What you will not be able to do, of course, is recruit the largest possible army and go on a blitz, in the hope that you will be able to conquer the world in one massive thrust. As always, the system in this game favours caution, planning and deliberation, and using a strategic reserve is a helpful way to maintain your offensive over a sustained period, instead of running out of steam before achieving your objectives and being forced to abort your mission and fall back if you face heavy resistance.
    • I always maintain a strategic reserve in my core provinces, usually consisting of a combination of my legacy infantry, as well as non-oil-burning defensive units such as anti-tank and anti-aircraft. Also, if you have the upfront production resources available, commandos also make a good defensive unit because they consume the same amount of food as militia do, 55% of what regular infantry consume, they are stronger under most circumstances, and they have more hit points (25 vs. 15). Consider combining 2 commando battalions in a city (+25% strength points) or mountain province (+100% strength points), with 2 anti-tank regiments and 2 anti-aircraft regiments. If you have some quick response fighter wings to provide them with patrolling air cover, that forms one heck of a defensive hedgehog, and a nasty little surprise for any invader until you can crank up your industrial production.

I also invest heavily in my industrial production capacity, with every core resource province fully built-out with L3 infrastructure, L5 industrial complex and L2 air bases. I may not always have the largest army on the board at any given time (in order to avoid unnecessary resource consumption), but I almost always have the largest economy and the largest production capacity by Day 14. Which means I can often double the size of my fighter and tactical air wings in a very short period of time (36 hours), and nearly double my armored ground forces (48 hours).

Most if not all of my core resource provinces are usually fortified to maintain them at 100% morale when I am fighting two wars simultaneously, so my reserve defenders also have an additional measure of protection working in their favor.

And wherever my Angry Birds tactical air wing may have wandered in pursuit of expanding my empire, I always maintain a string of L2 air bases that will enable all or a significant portion of my tactical bombers to return to my core provinces within a few hours to defend the homeland.

Every long-time player has found strategies that work for him. Maxing my resource production and industrial production capacity, not maxing my army size until I need it, and rapidly expanding when I'm threatened, is the overall strategy that has worked best for me.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MontanaBB ().

• I had a quick skim through and I think I got the gist. My "strategic reserves" are whatever is coming from the factories and isn't engaged in combat. Works well enough if you have production going 24/7.
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• MontanaBB wrote:

Quasi-duck wrote:

Works well enough if you have production going 24/7.
      LOL @ The Duck ---
      Works well if you have a high casualty rate and you need to keep your production going 24/7.
      Replacing casualties or increasing numerical superiority? Usually the latter for me, although sometimes TB drop out of the sky a lot but who cares, they are quick to replace.
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: