AA defenses on ships

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• murb09 wrote:

I am at war with a nation, he’s got patrolling naval bombers out in the sea. I was wondering if I move my cruisers and battleships to right under where he’s patrolling, will their AA defense automatically fire and cause damage?

YES.. ^^
      AA will not fire automatically, but the planes will automatically attack and at that moment they will be greeted by the AA :D
      Do it quickly ;) - Depending on the number of combatants and their level / combat values, it's one of the easiest way to destroy planes :thumbsup:

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D

The post was edited 1 time, last by Restrisiko ().

Restrisiko wrote:

murb09 wrote:

I am at war with a nation, he’s got patrolling naval bombers out in the sea. I was wondering if I move my cruisers and battleships to right under where he’s patrolling, will their AA defense automatically fire and cause damage?
      YES.. ^^
      AA will not fire automatically, but the planes will automatically attack and at that moment they will be greeted by the AA :D
      Do it quickly ;) - Depending on the number of combatants and their level / combat values, it's one of the easiest way to destroy planes :thumbsup:
    • Restrisiko gave a pretty good answer above but he forgot to mention that patrolling aircraft have a 15-minute "ticker," and they will attack every 15 minutes unless they are moved. You can check the ticker of the aircraft stack by clicking on it, and the time remaining will display in the unit information pop-up box.
    • Good answers above, and a combination of cruisers and battleships will give you the AA value of the cruisers and the bulk of the battleships to do a lot of damage without taking much damage yourself.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • WayneBo wrote:

VorlonFCW wrote:

the bulk of the battleships to do a lot of damage
      battleships have relatively poor AA compared to cruisers.are you proposing that battleships should be added to absorb damage?
      seriously?
      Of course

The context of this thread:

murb09 wrote:

... I was wondering if I move my cruisers and battleships to right under where he’s patrolling, ...

VorlonFCW wrote:

... combination of cruisers and battleships will give you the AA value of the cruisers and the bulk of the battleships to do a lot of damage without taking much damage yourself.

@murb09:
      If you have cruisers and battleships anyway, then you rather let them stay together against the air patrols. The effective damage of the NBs against shipclass will distributed among the different unit-types of shipclass.

More different units of the same damage class in a stack results in a longer life of the stack.
      Regardless of the x-factor and the graet unknown mystery of the the actual damage mathematics of the game.. - ..so regardless whether in this case, the damage of the NBs per attack will evenly distributed, whether the ship types are always attacked alternately, or if a shiptype will preferably attacked..

Same with ground forces against planes, rather stack AA with more different types of same (present AA) damage class than with many units of one type of this damage class (or, more worse, only with units of the other damage class); in the end a higher stability will achieved with fewer units.

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D

The post was edited 1 time, last by Restrisiko ().

• WayneBo wrote:

battleships have relatively poor AA compared to cruisers.
      Actually, at the higher research levels, the anti-aircraft strength points of battleships are more or less comparable to that of cruisers. L6 BBs have 11 AA strength points vs. 14 AA strength points for L6 CCs. And, historically speaking, that's about right, given that our in-game battleship unit represents a single BB, and our in-game cruiser unit represents a squadron of two or three individual ships.

By the end of the war, the AA capability of the Iowa-class BBs was awesome, and their principal role became that of naval gunfire-support for amphibious landings, and throwing up as much metal in the air as possible to protect the U.S. Navy's carriers from kamikaze attacks. The Royal Navy and U.S. Navy also had so-called light cruisers (CBs) whose principal function was anti-aircraft fleet protection.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MontanaBB ().

• WayneBo wrote:

VorlonFCW wrote:

the bulk of the battleships to do a lot of damage
      battleships have relatively poor AA compared to cruisers.are you proposing that battleships should be added to absorb damage?
      seriously?
      Yes. Much better to protect the battleships with cruisers mixed in their stack than to send them separately, and naturally any enemy attack is divided among all the units in the group, so a larger group will suffer less damage per unit

Of course the SBDE limits how effective a big stack of one type of unit is, so bulking up a stack with different unit types is the strategy I use.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<