Decommissioning Units

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Decommissioning Units

Maybe this has been brought up before, but it would be nice if we could decommission units to save on food, oil, etc. Even if we get nothing back from the unit, it would be nice to get rid of some that are no longer used or if you need to get rid of some for the reasons stated above: to save on resources.

Can this be added?
    • Yes, this has been suggested many times before and always gets great support, then gets put down by more "experienced" players, aside from myself, who will tell you to put them out in the ocean or to send them off to die in a war, while other experienced players try and explain logistics to them to no avail...

A great idea with great support from the community, maybe it will get implemented this time! Doubt it though, damn those vocal few.
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Stonegut wrote:

Maybe this has been brought up before, but it would be nice if we could decommission units to save on food, oil, etc. ..

Quasi-duck wrote:

Yes, this has been suggested many times before and always gets great support, then gets put down by more "experienced" players, aside from myself ..

I am only a moderate player with mediocre experience, but I'm against an option to decommissioning or disbanding units, because I think it does not fit this game

It is an essential part of the game concept that is important for strategic challenge and claim of CoW, that everyone has to start and get along with almost the same resources and possibilities and must develop from it.

Everyone has to plan for the long term. Who has planned wrong or whose plan is thwarted, then will eventually be the loser.

In addition, the overall situation for someone who gets in trouble to supply his units, whether from his own inability or by enemy action, would not be fundamentally improved by such a rule, especially as his opponents would also have this option.

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • Restrisiko wrote:

It is an essential part of the game concept that is important for strategic challenge and claim of CoW, that everyone has to start and get along with almost the same resources and possibilities and must develop from it.
      Yeah tell that to the creators of the historical map, they didn't quite get the memo. USSR starts off with like, 20-30 militia or something. Day 34 and I still have like 14 left and I gained more thanks to rebellions and capturing provinces where AI were building them. I can't kill them off because by the time they are ready to invade, I could have the nation taken over. Putting them in the sea is useless because I have subs to do that, and while they are no big drain on resources, I do not even want to look at them or have it that if the game takes a sour turn, all I have left are some militia draining mt reso when I could have inf instead.

I've gone over this a thousand times before, because people keep asking for it, yet it is the same 5 or 6 that always say no. This is paratroopers all over again, but this time it is actually a worthwhile suggestion for the devs to implement.

It should make no odds to you if someone disbands their army, and you could use this to your advantage as well, adding more depth to the game as people disband their armies while undergoing a "modernisation" program. I can see this being very good in longer running games where people may be stuck with a load of inf from the start and do not want any, but don't want to waste it or damage their stats by dumping it in the ocean or sending it on a suicide mission.

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Quasi-duck wrote:

Day 34 and I still have like 14 left and I gained more thanks to rebellions and capturing provinces where AI were building them.
      When you capture a province, and it's in the process of producing a unit type you don't want (I.e. militia), stop the production and recoup at least a portion of the original resources required to produce. Beats getting stuck with something you don't want.
    • MontanaBB wrote:

When you capture a province, and it's in the process of producing a unit type you don't want (I.e. militia), stop the production and recoup at least a portion of the original resources required to produce. Beats getting stuck with something you don't want.
      Yeah it's usually what I do, but you know yourself, you can't be online all the time and then all of a sudden you have 5 new lvl 1 militia.

• Quasi-duck wrote:

Restrisiko wrote:

Yeah tell that to the creators of the historical map, ..

Quasi-duck wrote:

I can see this being very good in longer running games where people may be stuck with a load of inf from the start and do not want any, but don't want to waste it or damage their stats by dumping it in the ocean or sending it on a suicide mission.
      Yeah, but with the already existing units at the beginning of a map (except for the extra differently designed special maps ;) ) each player is equally burdened.

• yada yada yada we've talked this over a thousand times before. The community wants this, let us give it to them. You lose nothing from this feature being added, why such resistance?

• Simple solution, stop overbuilding. Food/fuel become precious resources on large maps where morale is tougher to manage. For starters, never build militia and cars...some of the worst units in the game. If you are wasting research on those units, better players are researching bombers/navy/armor/arty/nukes.

The other solution is simple as well...this is a wargame where you are meant to have losses. Attack somebody or send your units on a suicide march and stop whining about resource drains.
    • BeerBelly wrote:

Attack somebody or send your units on a suicide march

Quasi-duck wrote:

I can't kill them off because by the time they are ready to invade, I could have the nation taken over.

BeerBelly wrote:

stop whining about resource drains.

Quasi-duck wrote:

while they are no big drain on resources, I do not even want to look at them

• BeerBelly wrote:

dont play the game if you dont want to look at your units.
      I don't want them in the first place, and I would get rid of them in the first place. I like looking at my bombers flying over the enemies land, what I don't like is seeing the crap militia I am given take 3 days to get to a rallying point.

• Quasi-duck wrote:

The community wants this ..

You lose nothing from this feature being added, why such resistance?
      Why?
      Because I like the game as it still is (still). :thumbup:

And not least, because I won many of my wars, since I, unlike most of my opponents, did not always as soon as possible instantly squander all my resources on infantry, light tanks or other stuff to rush quickley forward. Instead I later, with patience and planned with foresight, and with stable economy and better weapons, gained the victory. So why should I like it if my opponents are allowed to correct their wrong plans to my detriment?

But of course that's just my personal point of view.

Of course perhaps, if considered in isolation, an option to decommission units sounds not yet bad ..
      But imagine, if then at next another of the popular suggestions for improvement ;) will come in addition ..

.. for example, what's also often and gladly demanded by the community :whistling: , increasing the resource yield in conquered provinces, or even the complete omission of the non-core malus.
      Also that would not be too dangerous for the game, on it's own.

But, with only this both (often whished by the community) improvements together (if it were possible to dissolve units and it would be much easyer to attain a lot of more resources - or with other constellations of much desired improvements) we suddenly would have a completely different game .. (which me, e.g. then would not like it anymore) ..

Restrisiko wrote:

.. and latest then strategy is definitely dead and the quickest finger wins ..

"Making something easier does not necessarily make it any better!"

The post was edited 1 time, last by Restrisiko ().

• Stonegut wrote:

Maybe this has been brought up before, but it would be nice if we could decommission units to save on food, oil, etc. Even if we get nothing back from the unit, it would be nice to get rid of some that are no longer used or if you need to get rid of some for the reasons stated above: to save on resources.

Can this be added?
      I strongly will not support and hope something like this is never introduced into this game.
      It is detrimental to what is a fine strategy game and would have a destructive affect on the great
      reputation of CallofWar 1942 as a challenging (RTS) game :thumbdown:
    • As a personal note, I would please ask @Restrisiko to stop using so many colours in his posts.... all the different shades are playing havoc with my eyes. I see enough colours already. Thank you.

Alright perhaps my way of going about it was wrong, but that is beside the point. I have said my piece multiple times over at this stage, so I think there is no more point in me repeating myself. I've said my piece and you have all said yours, so I think we can all leave it be.

At this stage of the game I think this idea is dead in the water. People have been asking for it for years, so I doubt we will get it, especially since no staff seem to support it. Not that I know of anyways.

• You don't need to decommission unit's or get it implemented in the game!!

It's simple. Here is some option's on how to get rid of unwanted unit's!!

1. When capturing a province you can decommission a unit already producing. By cancelling the production or construction of a unit. You get a percentage of resources not built.

2. Send the unit's you don't like to war's or to computer country war's!! Make sure you make them die as quickly as possible by sending them on forced march or making them fight where the unit's weaknesses are. Remember even if the unit is at 10% they will still eat resources so make them have low health then make them fight war's to kill the unit!!.

3. Trade the decommissioned unit's to other player's for resources or for free.

4. Get your allies to kill the decommissioned unit for you.
    • Restrisiko wrote:

Instead I later, with patience and planned with foresight, and with stable economy and better weapons, gained the victory. So why should I like it if my opponents are allowed to correct their wrong plans to my detriment?
      Exactly my view here as well.

Next you people will want to be able to retreat from a battle

This is WAR, there is no "undo" button, so you have to play the hand you are dealt, and don't get to stack the deck the way you want.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

Next you people will want to be able to retreat from a battle

This is WAR, there is no "undo" button
      ???? Retreat is very much a real world undo button, it should be in the game even more than decommissioning units. Name a where were an army *didn't* retreat. You will find such occasions are few and far between, as last stands for units are worst case scenarios while in CoW they are standard operating procedure.