Inactive players in team mode. Is it normal?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Inactive players in team mode. Is it normal?

Hey guys

I am pretty new to the game, playing my first two games.

Now, in both games I do pretty well. I admit I spend some gold on the first game, being a noob, but in the second I did not. In both I am the top player so far. Truth is I am very much into strategy games my whole life and am a very aggressive player -- and I did watch Sky Badger's videos and tutorials, to be honest.

So, although a noob, I see the point about economy and morale, for instance. I am by no means an experienced CoW player, but I might have done a few things right so far. In my second game as Italy my army is not the biggest, but I've conquered 3 minor nations in day 4 already (4 units each) and am about to kill the strongest country so far (Germany) thanks to attacking at the right moment when he was conquering a different country.

I wonder why nobody is active in my current team game. Because it breaks the actual team based mode, right?

It is a "Europe Road To War" game with 10 players. But I see that my allies do not build nor move their armies. I wrote those guys, asking what are they up to, and then one answered that I, as Italy, should not attack Germany -- which I did. And I am winning. So why did he tell me that?

I wonder if there are some community rules regarding this mode. Am I missing something? There was no comment on special rules in the game's description? Or is it just common that players give up early without even building up armies and trying? I am talking about some more experienced players, so it seems, with more 20+ games. :tumbleweed:

Cheers
    • Everyone always has an opinion, and usually wish to share it :)

I expect they think the strategy you are using is likely to fail, although predicting success or failure is about as accurate as picking winning lottery numbers some of the time.

As a new player you still likely have a lot to learn about certain aspects of the game, and you will find battles that you will lose. I have always learned more by losing than by winning.

I have never been a fan of team games, because even if your team members are useless and incompetent they are still in the way and you have to work around them. This is the same as working on any project as part of a team. One person will do all the work, and have to share the credit with everyone else.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Hey

Thanks for the quick response.

Okay, so there are no special community rules on those game modes. Good to know.

Yes, sure, I am keen to see how other team games go. I am surprised though how early players seem to drop out. I play (my first) 2 New World Empires, 2 Call of War and 2 Conflict of Nations games at the same time. So I see that this seems to be a general issue. Coming from Paradox (and other, older) strategy games, it is different there, for obvious reasons, of course, but still. After day 5 half of the players is inactive, sometimes more. Maybe there is a way to keep them in loop and game if the gameplay encourages and rewards them to do so.

(It looks as if you are from Bytro. ;) May I ask why you let the AI be so passive? I know that there is an Elite AI mode. But I think that the whole game would be more challenging if you would make the AI generally smarter/more aggressive. And of course, if you could add more diplomacy gameplay (it does not need be like in Paradox games, but so that it is less like Risk when you conquer province by province. It may make those player drop outs less crucial to the player's experience.) For instance: In CoW the AI is very inactive. In Conflict of Nations and New World Empires I was surprised when the bloody AI managed to escaped and snack a province of mine; they still had no chance, being smaller, but it was fun.)
    • Btw, great games so far. I've never expected to enjoy them so much. I always thought that it would be not for me, but apparently it works very fine with me, for some reason. Well done, really. And I've probaby played almost all strategy games since the 90's, and many board game predecessors of Call of War etc. and Paradox (i.e. World in Flames).