Medium Tank crushed by Infantry?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Medium Tank crushed by Infantry?

I sent my 1 unit Medium Tank Lv2 (100% health) to attack a province (hills terrain, 0% fortification) defended by 1 unit Infantry Lv1 and 3 units Interceptor Lv2 (100% health), there were no "bombardment marks" near the province so they didn't have a ranged support, but for some reason my Medium tank lost the battle, how is that possible?
    • AK140 wrote:

.. my Medium tank lost the battle, how is that possible?
      X-factor!

The X-factor favors the defender in most cases (thus simulating ambushes, entrenched units, terrain knowledge etc ..)

Read about the x-factor here >> forum.callofwar.com/index.php?thread/6446-the-x-factor/ <<

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • Restrisiko wrote:

AK140 wrote:

.. my Medium tank lost the battle, how is that possible?
      X-factor!

The X-factor favors the defender in most cases (thus simulating ambushes, entrenched units, terrain knowledge etc ..)

Read about the x-factor here >> forum.callofwar.com/index.php?thread/6446-the-x-factor/ <<

How much does it varies from the stats?
    • My shoot from the hip answer is that the X factor is a random number that varies the amount of damage done by an attack from zero to 100%

If you want to get more technical there is some information from freezy in the thread started by diabolical "redefining the X factor". To boil that down the X factor should range from 30% to 100%, but then there is an overwhelm factor that is calculated that prevents a one hit killing blow from occurring unless the blow is 20 times the hit points of the target.

We're the interceptors on the ground or patrolling overhead? In both cases they will damage your medium tank, but if they were on the ground your attack will hit both the infantry and the interceptors that are at the same location. Both the infantry and the interceptors will defend themselves.

You may think that interceptors have no defensive stat against an armored attack, but they do. It may not be published but combat is a mathematical formula and zeros cause errors instead of results, so there are numbers in there somewhere.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

My shoot from the hip answer is that the X factor is a random number that varies the amount of damage done by an attack from zero to 100%
      I have seen some strange results over the last two years. I track my artillery and naval gunfire results vs. ground units, and I have observed a number of patterns as well as some outlier outcomes. Just yesterday, I was shelling an enemy ground unit with a pair of L5 cruisers (2 x 2.9 offensive strength points vs. ground units), and I had one hourly cycle in which the two cruisers inflicted not 5.8 or 6.0 damage points, but 8.0 points -- 2.2 points above the expected maximum. That's just plain weird, and pretty close to inexplicable given my understanding of game dynamics.
    • Medium L2 (25 HP) vs inf Lv1 (15 HP): I would expect the tank to normally win. A:D ratio is about 5 to 3. So attack hits might be around 30% of 5.
      I would say that the 3 interceptor L2 tipped the scales in favor of the defence. Say an average of 1 hit point every 15 minutes by his interceptors plus the damage from his infantry (say average of 1 hit point each round). Would be 5 points damage by infantry and 20 points damage by interceptors in 4 hours.
      It would be interesting to know what damage the tank was doing each round. Maybe averaged around 1.5 per hour x 4 hours would about 6 points damage.
      Was he defending his core province? That would give him an additional 15% home bonus.

Higher overwhelm (attack:defense) ratios give a higher average percentage of your attacking value up to a 20:1 ratio.
      Single unit attacks often lose because the percentage of your attacking value is often a lot lower than one would expect.
    • Quick skim, didn't see this come up. Was it home territory for the enemy? He gets a 15% defence bonus then, and iirc planes are often very good combatants on the ground.... At the very least they spread out the hit points received, I think.
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• AK140 wrote:

the Interceptors was on ground.
      That is what I thought. This means the tank attacked the infantry and interceptors, resulting in the infantry and interceptors defending themselves. Tanks have a very low damage against airplanes, and planes on the ground are still planes unless they are refueling.

So this result does not surprise me at all.

MontanaBB wrote:

I had one hourly cycle in which the two cruisers inflicted not 5.8 or 6.0 damage points, but 8.0 points -- 2.2 points above the expected maximum. That's just plain weird, and pretty close to inexplicable given my understanding of game dynamics

I agree. I expect there is yet another unexplained mechanic, or that our understanding of X factor being "up to 100%" is flawed and it may be that the x factor can range from 30% to 130% or some other number.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<