message intercepts

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Fubar Uglyface wrote:

Are messages sent in Coalition chat rooms secure against interception by enemy spies?
      @VorlonFCW: Can we get a definitive answer on this? Obviously, messages sent through the in-game communications system, including trades, are not secure, but I have never seen a definitive answer regarding in-game coalition chat.

As a practical matter, I prefer to use outside email for any important communications with allies, especially any discussions of other players as potential enemies.
    • I will see how clear I can make this:

Any diplomatic message can be spied on, including messages to your entire coalition and messages to a specific player.

If I remember correctly spies will only pick up on messages that you send on the coalition diplomatic channel, while player to player diplomatic messages can be read by spies on both sending and receiving.

The chatserver operates independently of the game servers and is not subject to interception by in game spies. The channels global, high command, and help are of course universal, so your enemies can be watching what you say there, or simply observing when you are or are not online. Alliance and coalition chat, as well as direct whispers are as secure as any online communication system, although only the last 20 lines or so are displayed when people log on, so it is possible for important messages to get pushed out of view. (Note whispers only show to players who are online, and are lost when players reload or change games)

I prefer discord and set up a discord channel for each game. This allows me to communicate from my phone or pc without having the game open, which is sometimes invaluable.

Similar thread from January

War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<