Observations after playing for a few months

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Observations after playing for a few months

1) Focus on your economy. Don't forget naval bases.
      2) Team up. You won't win alone.
      3) Economy and diplomacy are more important than strategy or tactics. This is a game for accountants, not von Mansteins.
      4) Attack the weakling.
      5) Core provinces generate 4x more resources than occupied provinces. Attack your enemy's core provinces first. Head for the capital if you can. Starve your enemy.
      6) Mass infantry assaults on weak positions often work better than a clash between sophisticated armies with complicated force dispositions. They're also easier to come back from if you miscalculate, because infantry are cheap.
      7) Don't move your capital.
      #8 Be patient. Never drop out. A good game can take three months.
    • @Athenaios45701:

Good observations. As general propositions, I agree wholeheartedly with your observations. But I would caution you that there are exceptions to every "general rule" in this game, and the difference between a good player and an exceptional player is knowing when to ignore the COW textbook and think outside the box in any given circumstances.

I might also add that COW is a game for both field marshals and accountants. Or, as they commonly say in the U.S. Army, "amateurs talk of tactics; professionals talk of logistics." There are both "Albert Speer moments" and "Erich von Manstein moments" in COW -- but the Speer moments usually last longer and require more patience than the von Manstein moments. Sometimes a great player can overcome a disadvantage in resources, but all things being equal, between two great players, the winner will usually be the one with the better supply train. C'est la guerre.
    • Jherin wrote:

Athenaios45701 wrote:

7) Don't move your capital.
      Sometimes when I have a coastal or border capital I move it towards the center of the country so it cannot be quickly attacked and also to distract players from the city where the capital was. Is there a reason I shouldn't?
      That rule is pretty general. if your Capitol is on the coast, most people move it for safety. However, in most other scenarios, There is no need to move the capitol. There are other ways of dealing with dropping morale that are more effective.
      "White Fang knew the law well: To oppress the weak and obey the strong"
      Jack London, White Fang

My parents once told me not to play with matches, so I built a flamethrower
    • I usually figure that you can move your capital about a day away from your core if you have only one or two wars and a healthy morale otherwise.

If you have more wars than that you will need to mitigate the morale drop with some forts in your core resource provinces before moving your capital very far.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<